Solar Kit - Which One?

T6ChrisO

AutoCAD engineer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Pop top will be fitted next month hopefully so whilst I've got a fully empty van (no interior) I thought it would be a good idea to look into the solar options........

I've seen three kits but wanted to know what the guys in the know think?

Option 1 - 175w Victron Kit £352.99

Option2 - 200w Victron Kit £279.99 (must be missing something as to why this is cheaper than the above)

Option 3 - 200w Renogy Kit £289.99

All pretty much the same although I suspect the Victron controller is better than the Renogy one. Personally I am looking at similar but with narrow flexible panels that I will glue onto the Pop Top. I will put up with the cable entry but don't want any more holes than necessary in the fibreglass.

I suspect the eBay kit is using an unnamed brand panel, while the other two seem to be using their own branded panels.

Do you want a rigid panel?

I suspect the eBay kit is using an unnamed brand panel, while the other two seem to be using their own branded panels.

Do you want a rigid panel?
Not too sure to be honest. I assumed the rigid would be more secure to mount??

Not too sure to be honest. I assumed the rigid would be more secure to mount??

Probably more rigid but also will make more wind noise. I also wonder as the panel is very thin, albeit toughened, glass whether opening and closing the pop top might stress the panel. On the other hand there are plenty of threads about the difficulty of removing a glued on flexible panel when it fails (and it will!).

I don't have any direct experience in vans but the corner mounts I've seen a lot in marine environments. Personally they'd worry me exposed on a roof in 70mph + wind forces, less so on a traditional RV that tends to have a more sheltered roof.

Again no direct reason for or against but it's what stood out to me.

Given that panel lifetimes seem a lot lower on vehicles than houses I'd probably aim for some form of rail.moint if possible to make future servicing or expansion possible, I quite like the one mentioned in this thread:

I don't have any direct experience in vans but the corner mounts I've seen a lot in marine environments. Personally they'd worry me exposed on a roof in 70mph + wind forces, less so on a traditional RV that tends to have a more sheltered roof.

Again no direct reason for or against but it's what stood out to me.

Given that panel lifetimes seem a lot lower on vehicles than houses I'd probably aim for some form of rail.moint if possible to make future servicing or expansion possible, I quite like the one mentioned in this thread:

I’ve been reading about rigid vs flexible and the rigid just seems so much more future proofed, albeit more on show which is a downside

My worry is having to replace a flexible when the time comes……

The system from SCA uses a flexible panel to keep the profile low and curved but it's mounted on rails so easy to replace.

I had these rails put onto my SCA 192 roof so I could attach a single rigid solar panel whilst keeping the overall height of the van to just under 2.0 metres. Two L profile aluminium cross bars will be fitted to these (with channel studs/T-slot bolts), to which the single 200W solar panel run lengthwise will be fixed. The rationale being that this arrangement presents minimal windage with good airflow above and below the panel for cooling along with minimal weight. They can also be used for fixing a couple of Thule roof bars if I need to.

IMG_1973.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, I am thinking of doing the same, moving from a flexible panel to rigid.
Can you please share a close up of how you have attached the panel to the bars?
Absolutely. I used an aluminium Z-section drilled to accept these stainless T-track bolts cut to length and a nyloc stainless nut for the connection to the roof bars:
IMG_5185.jpeg
Then drilled through the Z and the side of the Renogy panel frame to take a pair of short bolts and nylocs (stainless) per panel to connect the Z to the solar panels. Appropriate washers everywhere.

I assembled the whole thing including the roof bars on the ground, then dropped it onto the roof rails, before making the electrical push-in connections and bolting down the roof bars securely.

The leftover Z-section is being flogged helpfully passed on to other forum users here:

I bought a five-pack of this Z-section and only needed 2 of the five for my install. £30 plus postage to any forum member for the other 3. Fits Omtec (OEM) rails and crossbars well.

View attachment 183625

View attachment 183626

I put two rigid on the roof bars. Solid fix, easy to swap out if they get damaged. Not really visible from the ground. No wind noise at all.

View attachment 213531

View attachment 213532
Without wishing to divert the thread I'm really curious as to what the 2 black round circular items on the diagonally opposite sides of the roof are @CJW

Apologies had a good close look as your solar setup looks like the kind of thing I'd go for on the Caravelle long term :thumbsup:

Without wishing to divert the thread I'm really curious as to what the 2 black round circular items on the diagonally opposite sides of the roof are @CJW

Apologies had a good close look as your solar setup looks like the kind of thing I'd go for on the Caravelle long term :thumbsup:
They are the remnants of this van’s past life as a British Gas fleet van - that’s where the beacons were. The rear hole is soon going to be an extractor vent.

If you don’t want to bond a flexible panel to your roof then I’d say roof rails and cross bars as per @CJW is the way to go.
Bonding those little corner mounts for a rigid panel isn’t much contact area for the amount of force from the wind. Screwing them into a new pop top would make me cry.
My rigid has been on roof bars for 18 months and is fine with no wind noise.
Doing it again I’d put ppf on the roof and bond a flexible on. I’d like to be able to use my roof bars to carry stuff now.

If you don’t want to bond a flexible panel to your roof then I’d say roof rails and cross bars as per @CJW is the way to go.
Bonding those little corner mounts for a rigid panel isn’t much contact area for the amount of force from the wind. Screwing them into a new pop top would make me cry.
My rigid has been on roof bars for 18 months and is fine with no wind noise.
Doing it again I’d put ppf on the roof and bond a flexible on. I’d like to be able to use my roof bars to carry stuff now.
The place where my pop top is being installed on the 27th of this month offer roof bars as an upgrade so im pondering if this will be worthwhile adding so I can mount them like Chris has

I had my pop top fitter put roof bars on just because I like the look. But I then put cross bars on and mounted my solar a couple of years later.
View attachment 213697
Thats a handy pic to keep hold of. This is exactly what I'll be doing. I currently didnt spec the cross bars but maybe I can add them later like you have

Yeah I got the Omtec from Vanstyle. Had to cut them down from standard length as my bars are a bit closer than original mount points. It’s just an aluminium profile with a plastic foot pushed on so you can cut to any length.

Back