Solar panel capacity on pop top?

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
I'm looking to (finally) put solar onto our camper and was immediately taken by the 200 watt flexible panel from Renogy that's currently £209.
I was going to blah two of these when Mrs Stayfrosty asked will they fit?.... as it turns out at 750mm wide, no, blasted roof is just over 1300mm wide so next best option with Renogy would be two 175 watt panels at £229.99 each, still do-able but £42 more for 50 watts less.
Any suggestions welcome although regarding the 175 watt Renogy panels they're pretty lightweight so might save us from being crushed as the pop top gas struts kark trying to hold up any extra weight... yes our roof came from Victoria Plumb.

I'm looking to (finally) put solar onto our camper and was immediately taken by the 200 watt flexible panel from Renogy that's currently £209.
I was going to blah two of these when Mrs Stayfrosty asked will they fit?.... as it turns out at 750mm wide, no, blasted roof is just over 1300mm wide so next best option with Renogy would be two 175 watt panels at £229.99 each, still do-able but £42 more for 50 watts less.
Any suggestions welcome although regarding the 175 watt Renogy panels they're pretty lightweight so might save us from being crushed as the pop top gas struts kark trying to hold up any extra weight... yes our roof came from Victoria Plumb.
Can’t you put them inline rather than side by side?

Can’t you put them inline rather than side by side?
Sadly they're too long at 1605mm or 5'3" in old money, camper is SWB and roughly 4'4" wide across the pop top... even the 175 watt panel is at the limit width wise side by side but I wanted to harvest as much sun as possible as I'm assuming flat on a roof will be compromised when roof down compared to when parked roof up at night and angled at the....su...moon.... bugger.

I put my 100w Renogy across the roof, mainly to give me space for roof rack in front of it, but this might give you a few more dimensions to search.

630088FA-C898-45FA-80D6-96816CE97026.jpeg

What did you go for in the end and do you have any pictures? Currently in the same position as you were.

The Renogy 175 watt panels fitted after a bit of fettling, not like that tidy job above but currently keeping the leisure battery stuffed full of electrons and putting in just under 9 amps despite the fridge taking 4 odd amps out.:thumbsup:IMG20230427112921.jpg

Back