moomin-j

Get busy living or get busy dying.
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Bought these on 24-10-2020:

A set of spinning centre caps:

View attachment 89136

This allows the Vw symbol to be the right way up, no matter what speed you are doing.
A bit like the Rolls Royce ones.
Be careful if you do buy a set, as an almost same part number of 000071213C is the old design Vw symbol,

Fitted them on 22-11-2020:

Maybe it's a little bit premature as the weather is still pretty good, but today I took the 19" Cantaras off with 245/45 summer tyres:

View attachment 92785 View attachment 92786

And fitted the 16" Claytons with the Vw Dynamic spinning centre caps and 215/65 winter tyres:

View attachment 92787 View attachment 92788

Next trip booked in 2021 for an extended week travelling around Scotland, when Mr Boris & Mrs Nicola allows...

And lost 1 of them today on the 1st journey I've done in 6 weeks
They were definitely on when I left home, as the neighbour asked why they were all the same way, all the time.
He is a Ford driver, so I have to make allowances when explaining things... :whistle:
And when I reached Costco, doing the essential journey for the real Christmas tree, it was gone.
Gutted.

IMG_2727.JPG

The bit that pushes into the hub is still there, its just the Vw logo that is missing
I hope Vw offers a warranty, even though I bought them from a main dealers ebay shop?

That’s a damn nuisance, puts me off getting them

I know that @Jayjmac bought a set a while back and fitted them without any troubles, so this maybe is just an unlucky 1 off?
Looking on the bright side - the other 3 are ok, and they have all done the same journey / mileage - so at least that's a 75% success rate!!
I have just emailed the company that I bought them from to see what can be done - I am thinking that Vw offer a warranty with all things bought from a main dealer?

I know that @Jayjmac bought a set a while back and fitted them without any troubles, so this maybe is just an unlucky 1 off?
Looking on the bright side - the other 3 are ok, and they have all done the same journey / mileage - so at least that's a 75% success rate!!
I have just emailed the company that I bought them from to see what can be done - I am thinking that Vw offer a warranty with all things bought from a main dealer?
I’ve never lost any.. still the same 4 in. I would have thought the whole lot would have gone and not just the spinning part.

I’ve never lost any.. still the same 4 in. I would have thought the whole lot would have gone and not just the spinning part.

The complete hub cap fitted very well, with a solid clip sort of noise, you could tell that it was not meant to come off in a hurry.

The spinning hub part is there, it's just the Vw badge bit has fell off.
You can see close up, that there is some sort of small bearing fitted that the badge must fit into, the Vw badge is probably weighted, which is what must keep it the right way up all the time?

IMG_2736.JPG

Just buy another 4 then you will have some spares to sell on ;)
It might be come a supply and demand issue for users
Mrs Moomin will totally understand the business model

The complete hub cap fitted very well, with a solid clip sort of noise, you could tell that it was not meant to come off in a hurry.

The spinning hub part is there, it's just the Vw badge bit has fell off.
You can see close up, that there is some sort of small bearing fitted that the badge must fit into, the Vw badge is probably weighted, which is what must keep it the right way up all the time?

View attachment 94036
Very strange.. at least I’ve seen the inside of one now! :oops: You’ll have to get the California ones instead

Took them all off & sent them back to the supplier with a courier on Monday, for delivery Tuesday.

Received today, 4 brand new ones from Simon, the parts manager @ Vw Redditch, FOC
This bloke couldn't have been more helpful or willing to make amends.
100% 4* service

IMG_2766.JPG

Will fit them ASAP, but the next planned trip is a visit to JCT600 Sheffield for investigation into the ongoing poorly power latching.

I hope they last the journey...

I've been told they are guaranteed for 12 months.

Oh why oh why did I read this thread. It’s going to cost me money now.

So now I know I have to spend some dosh, what size are they, I need 65mm ones?

Last edited:
@Texxaco - mine replaced the standard 5G0 601 171 B
This measures 65mm on the outside of the badge and 55mm on the clippy in bit, if that makes sense?

If you are quick... you have approx 6hrs & 40mins left to kindly ask Santa to get you some.
As long as you have been good all year, of course.

Merry Christmas.

Took them all off & sent them back to the supplier with a courier on Monday, for delivery Tuesday.

Received today, 4 brand new ones from Simon, the parts manager @ Vw Redditch, FOC
This bloke couldn't have been more helpful or willing to make amends.
100% 4* service

View attachment 96241

Will fit them ASAP, but the next planned trip is a visit to JCT600 Sheffield for investigation into the ongoing poorly power latching.

I hope they last the journey...

I've been told they are guaranteed for 12 months.
oooooo you got the commercial ones. Not the VW car ones.

@Jayjmac

I think that before long all the badges will be this new design?
I am sure this is the new 2020 brand logo, that probably cost millions to produce

@Jayjmac

I think that before long all the badges will be this new design?
I am sure this is the new 2020 brand logo, that probably cost millions to produce
The ones you have are the California ones.. the other ones are a VW car part, golf, Touareg etc etc.

at least they fit unlike the others.;)

The ones you have are the California ones.. the other ones are a VW car part, golf, Touareg etc etc.

at least they fit unlike the others.;)

They fitted when on the drive and going no where.
The 1 badge just fell off when I was driving!!

Maybe they were designed just to be used during Tier 4 lockdown? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The fitted when on the drive and going no where.
They just fell off when I was driving!!

Maybe they were designed just to be used during Tier 4 lockdown? :thumbsup:
We’re they the same ones as you’ve got in the picture above? What I meant was they are bigger so didn’t need “modding”.

just sucks you’re middle decided to go on a holiday from the back :oops:

@Jayjmac

Yes - same design as the previous box of 4.

The clippy in bit is (I think) the same size as your design.
They certainly don't fit the Cantara alloy hole and are too small, by just a few mm.
In the summer, when I refit the Cantaras, I'll have to use your silicon suggestion to modify & fit them successfully.

The only difference in part numbers (000070171213) for the different designs, is that 1 finishes with a C and the other with a D

Sounds good. I had all that when I ordered from VW.. he ordered those and was adamant that was the only ones available

Last edited:
Vanstyle sell both versions:

My fitted style, with plenty of stock:

@Jayjmac 's fitted style, with plenty of stock:

Although, I dropped lucky and only paid £75.00 inc delivery from Redditch Vw's Ebay shop, who unfortunately don't have stock.
Look at that!! perfect for anyone who wants to find them :thumbsup:

Back