VW centre caps for Land Rover / Range Rover wheels

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I didn't get a reply to my posts about centre caps for Land Rover wheels, so I'm improvising my own.

The donor wheels take 63mm caps with a 51mm inner diameter (the parts that clicks into place) with a depth of 3mm on the clips.

The VW centre caps that I can find are 63mm with a 56mm inner diameter.

So I've bought a set of these VW caps and fettled them to a flat disc, and then I'll mate them to a set of 55mm/51mm blanks that I've also ordered.

PXL_20201013_192247447.jpg
I've taken the rim right off them:
PXL_20201013_192345010.jpg
A quick test and I think they will look okay, although I'm not a fan of the black plastic. We'll see...
PXL_20201013_192508056.jpg

I didn't get a reply to my posts about centre caps for Land Rover wheels, so I'm improvising my own.

The donor wheels take 63mm caps with a 51mm inner diameter (the parts that clicks into place) with a depth of 3mm on the clips.

The VW centre caps that I can find are 63mm with a 56mm inner diameter.

So I've bought a set of these VW caps and fettled them to a flat disc, and then I'll mate them to a set of 55mm/51mm blanks that I've also ordered.

View attachment 88098
I've taken the rim right off them:
View attachment 88099
A quick test and I think they will look okay, although I'm not a fan of the black plastic. We'll see...
View attachment 88100
I love the effort you’re going to so that you can get exactly the result you are after. I’m looking forward to seeing these on the van when you’re done.

This spec was wrong. They are actually 47mm inner and 60-63mm outer. So I have another set of blanks on order. I could mate these, but I'd rather start from a better place:
PXL_20201106_203604923.jpg

Years ago I ran disco wheels on my t5. I used LR centre caps with a gel domed vw decal stuck on top. They looked factory and stayed on for 80,000 miles. Once stuck they ain't coming off. The company I used make them to any size you want. Check out signdezine.co.uk

Reactions: JOG
Years ago I ran disco wheels on my t5. I used LR centre caps with a gel domed vw decal stuck on top. They looked factory and stayed on for 80,000 miles. Once stuck they ain't coming off. The company I used make them to any size you want. Check out signdezine.co.uk
That's great thanks

Well, this has turned into a PITA. I've gone back to plan A and adapted the first ones and glued them to the VW centre caps that I had trimmed (hence my post about the best glue for bonding ABS - it's super glue, for me):
PXL_20201119_202138111.jpg
I used cling film to protect the wheel, then popped the ring in and super glued the cap onto the ring in situ. The glue leaves a white residue on the back but nothing unsightly on the front, and it's bonded strong enough that a pry bar pops out the centre caps without any flex to the glued join. It's a tight enough fit that there's no rattle but the cap can be turned.

PXL_20201119_202216869.jpg

Last edited:
Top marks for tenacity! I might wimp out and glue a vinyl decal over mine!

I have no good news on this. Making the centre caps has been a PITA. But they do successfully stay on.

I bought some 47mm/60mm blanks from eBay and they were no good. The legs are too long so they rattle around all over the place:

PXL_20201201_081511280.jpg
(They are stamped with 48mm but the vendor showed me a caliper measurement of 47mm)

My next experiment will have to be covering an original LR cap with a vinyl logo, but the dome on the cap may make the vinyl bunch at the edges.

EDIT: unless someone can think of a way to shorten the effective length of those legs, pack them somehow?

Last edited:
Back