Flashing coil light start/stop error P164B

I too have the dreaded flashing coil of doom, but mine is slightly different scenario.
I started to get a knocking from the DMF, but had to wait a month to get it fixed. Had it serviced in the meantime though. Local independent garages.
Had the Dmf, clutch fitted last week. All fine.
Coming back from work on the first day of use and the coil light comes on and loses power. Turn off and on and it clears and drives fine again except stop start error.
Go back to garage who did clutch and he clears the fault codes logged. Drives fine again for about 60 miles.
I have noticed that if I keep the revs up, it’s fine. If I go too slow in a gear and try to accelerate back up, that is when it throws the coil light. Ie

Update after todays crawling around under the van. Found a completely cut harness to the oil level/temp sensor, (see here U1019 Oil sensor location help! ) fixed that and U1019 went away. But now, after a 8 week absence P164B is back when the engine is cold.

So odd, P164B was a daily occurrence with a cold engine until U1019 appeared, then once U1019 was fixed P164B is immediately back?! Im foing to follow methods in this thread [T6_measured] 01-Engine - Oil pressure switches & Oil level sensor and hopefully wind up with a log that someone can help me understand if its the regulator or one of the pressure switches.

I tell you what I've had many cars over the years but this T6 has been the most problematic of them all.

Hi All,

Has anyone sorted the dreaded problem as of yet? Mine was fine for a while and thought I had sorted it. But it’s come on now a few times. Been to get it checked out, no faults or issues.
Cheers

Mine is very intermittent, can go weeks and weeks without it happening and then twice in a couple of days. Funnily enough it did it as the exact same point driving back from Whitby over Christmas. It’s so frustrating

I have this issue, it’s been ongoing for about 6 months or so. Flashing coil, stop-start error. Goes away when warm after a restart. Also occasional engine warning light.
Have had oil sensors and pressure valve replaced a couple of times, but issue comes back.

Help!!

I had the oil switch changed. This fixed it temporarily then it came back. Took it to Vee W services in Bristol who were very helpful and had better diagnostics found it was a faulty oil pressure regulation valve. This was changed and has been fine since. Its clearly a common problem with T6s. The symptoms are always identical, the valve is the true problem changing the switch is just a sticking plaster.

I have this issue, it’s been ongoing for about 6 months or so. Flashing coil, stop-start error. Goes away when warm after a restart. Also occasional engine warning light.
Have had oil sensors and pressure valve replaced a couple of times, but issue comes back.

Help!!
Hi,
Mine is now sorted. Was a blocked DPF. Pressure from turbo was getting forced back. Eventually turbo failed. So had DPF cleaned out and new turbo. Check if you have pressure coming out of exhaust.

Took it to numerous garages and didn’t spot it. That’s where I would be checking.

Hope this helps

Hi, have had my T6 for 6 weeks now (2018 my) and went on a roadie. Doing a mix of highway and local road speeds, after about 200km the coil light came on. Got it scanned and cleared by a dealer with the phone app. Hit the road home (didn’t get to where I was going…) and it came on again after about 5km. Loss of power so babied it for 45mins to the next town. Let it sit for about 20mins, then was all good again. Then ESC warning light came on. Not flashing and on its own. ESC light’s still on and van has a strange whooshing sound that it didn’t have before. Will be taking to a VW dealer this week but any thoughts on what this could be - especially the noise - would be much appreciated!

Hi, have had my T6 for 6 weeks now (2018 my) and went on a roadie. Doing a mix of highway and local road speeds, after about 200km the coil light came on. Got it scanned and cleared by a dealer with the phone app. Hit the road home (didn’t get to where I was going…) and it came on again after about 5km. Loss of power so babied it for 45mins to the next town. Let it sit for about 20mins, then was all good again. Then ESC warning light came on. Not flashing and on its own. ESC light’s still on and van has a strange whooshing sound that it didn’t have before. Will be taking to a VW dealer this week but any thoughts on what this could be - especially the noise - would be much appreciated!
BTW, this is the code (temporary) that came from the scanner: P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition

BTW, this is the code (temporary) that came from the scanner: P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition
Hi,
Does it whoosh when accelerating?
If so in my experience it will be the turbo. Sounds like mine. DOF gets so clogged up there is nowhere for the pressure to go so goes back up. Then turbo strains, light comes on. Resets when you turn on and off.
When I had the turbo replaced, the rotar inside was all loose from being strained.
The DPFs are a nightmare if you aren’t doing long runs.

Hope this helps and really hope it’s not the turbo.

Hi,
If so in my experience it will be the turbo. Sounds like mine. DOF gets so clogged up there is nowhere for the pressure to go so goes back up. Then turbo strains, light comes on. Resets when you turn on and off.
When I had the turbo replaced, the rotar inside was all loose from being strained.

Thanks! Only really noticed it at idle with walls to bounce back the sound. Not noticeably loud at road speeds…. Booked in for a look on Wednesday. Will update when I know more.

Hi,

Was the turbo big $$/€/£?

That was with a garage I now use in Sheffield. Was the only person to get to the problem after seeing numerous times before. Is it under any kind of warranty?

Unfortunately not. On the plus side, I was in the UK recently and picked up some Transporter HQ bits for it. Not much, due to baggage restrictions, but enough to make it fun. Sequential side repeaters, tailgate spoiler, interior light upgrade, ‘sounds like a Golf’ kit… Will look nice on the hoist!

Update: took it into the local vw dealer and they replaced the boost pipe, which was worn. Also found boost pipe clamp was not tightened so no pressure. Whooshing sound has gone and feels much much better. Another roadie in a couple of weeks, so will see the results then. On the upside, fitted my Transporter HQ smokey sequential side repeaters today; looks awesome!! Now to get the pdc working….

Brilliant. That’s what I was hoping mine was
Glad it’s all sorted for you. I have just fitted mine also. Look so much better. Enjoy the summer.

Back