Locking doors from the back of the van. ~ Stop me before I do something silly

Brilliant information here, many thanks to all for posting and sharing your findings.

Loz. May I ask what the red wire is for in the image you posted earlier ? guessing its for the opposite action?

I think you have stated that incorrectly, the resistor is on the unlock line, not the lock. Also, be aware that in the event of a theft you may have problems with the insurance as this method is not "safe" if the extra switch is not hidden well.

Not sure what post I got it wrong in ;)

Just for clarity, on my T6 the resistor is required on the LOCK side of the line. The video below shows the switch with the resistor locks the doors.

C9S

The main switch is in clear view and everyone and their granny know where it is. The additional switch is passive so has the same security features the original. That said I wouldn't put an unlock switch near a sliding window or outside the van or have an unlock label. tbh I didn't even bother with an unlock, I just fitted a lock and happy to pull the handle twice when I want out.

Kev

Brilliant information here, many thanks to all for posting and sharing your findings.

Loz. May I ask what the red wire is for in the image you posted earlier ? guessing its for the opposite action?

If you look closely there is a led built into the switch, the red wire powers this. Saves hunting for the switch in the dark.

Black goes to negative side of the switch and Led
Red goes to the positive side of LED

The other side of the switch goes to the resistor then yellow wire that pops the button.

Kev

Many thanks Kev for your kind offer, I really don't mind purchasing a few myself but can't find that 786 Olms Resistance.

I have found the following on Ebay but they are slightly different but look to be within the 10% range discussed.

TE CONNECTIVITY / NEOHM - YR1B787RCC - RESISTOR, METAL FILM, 787R, 250MW, 0.1% P | eBay

Do these look ok?

Regards
XS (Simon)

That will because I made an arse of the numbers, I used the code to order rather than the value :( both will work but

768R is what you are after, loads on Ebay "768R Resistor 1%" Best to get right on the nose. I will sort out the posts,

Kev

Not sure what post I got it wrong in ;)

Just for clarity, on my T6 the resistor is required on the LOCK side of the line. The video below shows the switch with the resistor locks the doors.

C9S

The main switch is in clear view and everyone and their granny know where it is. The additional switch is passive so has the same security features the original. That said I wouldn't put an unlock switch near a sliding window or outside the van or have an unlock label. tbh I didn't even bother with an unlock, I just fitted a lock and happy to pull the handle twice when I want out.

Kev

The main switch is disabled unless the ignition is on.
The purpose of the resistor is to prevent the system being unlocked by simply grounding the yellow/blue wire

Awsome post this. Not much use to me being a caravelle owner but great to see these problems being researched. Keep up the good work.

Doing mine this weekend. Huge shoutout to Willoughby for sending me some resistors.

Many thanks XS

I need help. I dont have the lock unlock switch on the door of my t6 just the munual knob tu push and pull? Where is the BCM located?

thank you

Ok. Thanks. I found this tread for the vans without the switch.
Central locking switch
That was my first thread I think. Although I left it that the door locking switch would just click into the old surround, it wasn't possible so you will need the whole switch panel with the mirror/window controls in. Quite a squeeze to work upside down in the footwell too, you need to be a bit of a contortionist but if you're a bit younger and more flexible you should be ok, good luck :thumbsup:

Tnx. I will give it a try next weekend. What switch did you go with? Whit a built in led or a classic momentary 3 position switch. Im planing to put also one on the dash instead of door.

Ahh. Thanks, all. But I see the flaw in my plan. Putting a push button switch on the inside of the tailgate, connected across the yellow and black wires, would enable me to unlock the tailgate from inside. It won't, however, release the catch that would enable me to push the tailgate open from inside.
Never mind. A friend was interested in the idea.
Thanks again.

Ahh. Thanks, all. But I see the flaw in my plan. Putting a push button switch on the inside of the tailgate, connected across the yellow and black wires, would enable me to unlock the tailgate from inside. It won't, however, release the catch that would enable me to push the tailgate open from inside.
Never mind. A friend was interested in the idea.
Thanks again.
A switch can be wired to release the tailgate from the inside. You can see it just above the multiflex board lit up red 141DE197-E246-4978-A3B3-62F55946FA55.jpeg

Back