andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just had my T6 for acouple of days and couldn't find the lock/unlock button on the drive home so left it til I had a day off work to figure it out. Anyway, it seems it's not there! I've got central locking activated by the key, but the area above the mirror switches where the manual shows the locking buttons is a blank and pushing the button down on each door just locks that door. Seems a bit penny pinching.

I've had a look on ebay and I can get the switch to clip into that space, but does anyone know if the connections to make it work will be under there, or if there's an easy way of hooking them up?

Sorry then @andys I can't help you. I thought they were all on the door - something like this (I've just pinched this off the internet of a T5 but they are very similar)central locking.jpg

That's what I thought. I'm wondering if it's a mistake, I've never had any vehicle that had central locking but no button inside to work it.

You got me wondering so I've just been and checked mine, it's definitely there! What model van have you got (mines a Highline Kombi)

Go to your dealership and ask them, that button is good when you are in vehicle as normal keyfob press will deadlock vehicle so button is handy
When the vans first came out dealers were retrofitting rear buttons on tailgates under warranty so its worth a try

It's a Westfalia, don't know what version it's based on but it has central locking, the posh glossy dash, sunglass holder etc so I don't think it's based on the panel van. If that's how it is I don't mind shelling out £20 for the switch, but it's no use if there's no wires for it. Also, on my T5 the driver's door unlocked on the first press of the key button and all the rest with a second press. Is that a dealer programming thing or is it something I can change in a setting?

That sounds like a Highline base model so definitely should be there. The locking on the fob is changeable with VCDS or Carista I believe. I'd definitely get in touch with the dealer about the switch.

Thanks guys, the supplying Westfalia dealer is 200 odd miles away so I'll have to try my luck with the VW van centre in Doncaster

@andys, did you resolve the missing central locking switch with VW ?
Sadly, since driving it home last Wed the van hasn't moved out of the garage due to work commitments and it's probably going to be another week at least before I get to drive it again. Very frustrating

IMG_2368.JPG
IMG_2369.JPG
Ok , I'm just getting around to addressing this now. The answer from the supplying dealer was "that's the spec of the van" so I got a switch off eBay and decided to look at it today while I'm taking the door cards of to fit the Rainbow speakers from @Absolut5 Unfortunately the handy taped up cable ready to be plugged into the switch that I'd hoped for was absent, the switch has a socket with four pins in it and the only free connection I can find in the door is a two pin socket with white/purple and brown wires.

So this is a plea for info from anyone who takes their drivers door card off, could you poss look and see what coloured wires plug into the central locking switch? If I can find that then maybe I could splice into the loom somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact I've just realised that the two pin plug is the power to the alarm led that I'd unplugged, doh! That means there is no free connection at all...

I will take that as an official VIP member request for technical info/wiring diagrams, leave it with me and will see what i can get for you but central locking system doesnt have its own wiring diagram but is scattered throughout the manuals so may take a bit of time
If you havent heard back in 48hrs please send me a PM

Great, thanks Pauly :thumbsup:

Been a pretty unsatisfactory day all round, my list was
1) hardwire Garmin
2) Hardwire dashcam
3) Run cable to rear dashcam
4) Sort central locking
5) Remove old speakers, sound deaden doors and fit Rainbow woofers and tweeters.

Only managed the first two :( I'm at best an enthusiastic DIYer but I could whip a T5 dash apart dead easy and wire anything but the T6 is so much harder to work on and I really struggled getting some trim panels off and on, and running wires from fusebox to R dash panel was frustrating as hell with lots of cuts and scrapes all over my hands. Nothing seemed to go to plan and I can't see how I'm going to tun the rear dashcam cable. To top it off, the screws that came with the speakers were a bit too long and almost touched the glass and I ccouldn't find anything that would fit in the garage. Called it a day at 7, resume another day when I've been to DIY store

I did dual cameras on mine and found an easy way for cable was to pop off passenger air switch trim plate which clicks right out (don't unplug switch with ignition on) and remove left cup holder which twists a little bit anti-clockwise and lifts out this gets you to A pillar then you can run straight back through the roof with factory loom upto and through the tailgate rubber wiring boot and that's where the fun begins getting the wire/plug through with all the other cables, a bit of cable lube or fairy liquid defo helps here

Back