Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

I have not connected smart BMS to the battery yet, so I'm not sure on the capabilities. Ben at Stirling power is very knowledgeable and helpful, if you have specific functionality questions.
Thanks so much! If it stops charging at 0c that's great. I'll call Monday and see if they can deliver very quickly!!

Thanks so much! If it stops charging at 0c that's great. I'll call Monday and see if they can deliver very quickly!!
Mine arrived next day. If they have any with a white band, they discount them by 20% for the fact they have repacked to add the new BMS. These have a 3 year guarantee instead of 5, but I think if a manufacturing fault is going to be identified it will be within 3 years anyway.

Also some out if date spec sheets show a charge rate of 0.5C, but it is 0.7C so can be charged V quickly with matched chargers.

Mine arrived next day. If they have any with a white band, they discount them by 20% for the fact they have repacked to add the new BMS. These have a 3 year guarantee instead of 5, but I think if a manufacturing fault is going to be identified it will be within 3 years anyway.

Also some out if date spec sheets show a charge rate of 0.5C, but it is 0.7C so can be charged V quickly with matched chargers.
Amazing! Thank you for the information, you are a super star. I'll call Ben on Monday!

If you’re going away next week I guess it will come down to availability / delivery.
@Dellmassive will have a good view when it comes to batteries, careful he doesn’t recommend you get two of each!
have a look over here for the Poweroad testing.

++

Renogy have a LOW TEMP version as well now.

ill be getting one soon to do some testing.

++

1625425354818.png

++

i have a 10% code for Renogy.

++

Renogy Release 170AH

1625425475057.png

12V 170AH LITHIUM-IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY​

DESCRIPTION​

The Renogy 12V 170AH Lithium-Iron Phosphate Battery is perfect for deep-cycle applications including cabins, solar/wind energy systems, UPS battery backups, telecommunication systems, medical equipment, and more. Unlike gel or lead-acid batteries, the Renogy LFP battery is safer, lighter, and more powerful with a long service and shelf life to boot. Invest in this sealed, maintenance-free battery for your off-grid system today!

Note: Please be aware that if the batteries' Battery Management System (BMS) is activated and the battery voltage shows 0V, you must use a compatible Li charger to reactivate our Li batteries.

Note: Make sure to tightly screw the battery terminals in, having loose battery terminals will cause the terminals to build up heat resulting in damage to the battery.

If you have any questions regarding this product, please submit a case.

KEY FEATURES​

• Lightweight
  • BMS Protection
  • Low Self-Discharge
  • Triplex Sealed Construction
  • Patent Designed Construction

MINIMUM 12V LITHIUM BATTERY BANK SIZING​

The following are the minimum battery quantities to operate Renogy power inverters. This is ONLY for 12V applications.

BATTERY BANK QTY/ INVERTER SIZE50AH100AH170AH
1000W211
2000W422
3000W632

PACKAGE INCLUDES​

Renogy Lithium-Iron Phosphate Battery 12 Volt 170Ah
RNG-BATT-LFP-12-170.jpg
1 x

have a look over here for the Poweroad testing.

++

Renogy have a LOW TEMP version as well now.

ill be getting one soon to do some testing.

++

View attachment 122237

++

i have a 10% code for Renogy.

++
What's the benefit of the low temp version? It's just that it has a heater? The renogy and the Stirling both have low temp disconnect so you are safe from there. Is it just so that the heater kicks in and you can continue to use in cold temperatures?

Is it just charging that shouldn't occur at 0c or outbound power too? If so I'd say a LTD is sufficient

Just charging.... most say not advised below 5c and prohibited below o
0c.

Outgoing power is ok down to -21c.

Some battery BMS will block incoming charge power flow...untill temp rises.

it looks like that some manufactures are adding a double / opposing diode bank inside the BMS.

That means they can control the flow of power in either direction..

that way they can BLOCK any incoming power at low temps . . provided they also have the temp sensors integrated.

but also allow out going power down to -21c.

see this email, reply from RENOGY

Re: tech - 12V 100AH SMART LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY

Hi Dellmassive,

Thank you for contacting us.

can the battery disconnect the input charge below freezing but still allow outgoing power?-The battery's operating discharge temperature is -20~60°C, operating charge temperature is 0~55°C. Continuing to charge the lithium battery when temperature below 0 °C will damage the battery, so the lithium battery's BMS will cut off the connection between the charging source and the battery to protect the battery. BMS will cut off the connection between the battery and loads when temperature below -20℃. This will not damage the battery, but it may shorten battery's service life if customers keep their batteries below 0 °C for long periods of time. We recommend that customers disconnect the solar panels and the controller below 0 ℃(if the charger is disconnected from the battery for a long time but still connected to the solar panels, it may damage the charger), and turn off the battery with the switch and store it indoors (above 0 ℃).

Best regards,
Jocelyn

Thanks for everyones advice.

I decided to go with the Sterling 100ah (Clearance) - It cost £450 plus £10 next day deliver. I ordered at 10am on Monday and it arrived at 13:00 on Tuesdays.

The battery has all the standard required safety features that you'd expect from a Lifepo4 battery, low temperate disconnect and low voltage disconnect. It also comes packed in a fire retardant case and the prismatic cells are inside steel cells. It also has a Daly BMS with BT included. The BMS is fully customisable via the 'Smart BMS' application.

I've attached some pictures of the packaging and screenshots from the Smart BMS application. As you can see, cells are in balance, 0 cycles and sitting around 60% which is ideal storage capacity.

I'm absolutely thrilled with this battery! The reason I didn't go with the Renogy is because I couldn't contact them via phone and it took them two days to return my support ticket, which for my needs at the time wasn't good enough. I called Sterling 9am Monday, spoke to a chap asked lots of questions and was happy after a 10 minute phone call. Rock on!

@JBR80 FYI

PXL_20210706_123551624.jpg

PXL_20210706_123623959.jpg

Screenshot_20210706-133957.png

Screenshot_20210706-134001.png

Thanks for everyones advice.

I decided to go with the Sterling 100ah (Clearance) - It cost £450 plus £10 next day deliver. I ordered at 10am on Monday and it arrived at 13:00 on Tuesdays.

The battery has all the standard required safety features that you'd expect from a Lifepo4 battery, low temperate disconnect and low voltage disconnect. It also comes packed in a fire retardant case and the prismatic cells are inside steel cells. It also has a Daly BMS with BT included. The BMS is fully customisable via the 'Smart BMS' application.

I've attached some pictures of the packaging and screenshots from the Smart BMS application. As you can see, cells are in balance, 0 cycles and sitting around 60% which is ideal storage capacity.

I'm absolutely thrilled with this battery! The reason I didn't go with the Renogy is because I couldn't contact them via phone and it took them two days to return my support ticket, which for my needs at the time wasn't good enough. I called Sterling 9am Monday, spoke to a chap asked lots of questions and was happy after a 10 minute phone call. Rock on!

@JBR80 FYI

View attachment 122563

View attachment 122564

View attachment 122565

View attachment 122566
Thanks for the feedback, It's a cracking deal for the £ in my opinion.

Those who have a victron MPPT and Lifepo4, what charge profile are you using? The default looks good, but the absorption is set to 2 hours, and my understanding is that should be as small as poss! Thoughts?

The Default is good as a starter . .

but most of my Lifepo4 batterys do not fully charge is the short 2hr ABS time limit. ( they can take much longer)

you can restart the cycle if you want. . .

the default is this . . .

1625748146532.png

you can tweek that profile in the expert tab . .

1625748237235.png

once you have the settings dialled in for your specific battery . . . then save that as your own pre-set . .

The Default is good as a starter . .

but most of my Lifepo4 batterys do not fully charge is the short 2hr ABS time limit. ( they can take much longer)

you can restart the cycle if you want. . .

the default is this . . .

View attachment 122800

you can tweek that profile in the expert tab . .

View attachment 122801

once you have the settings dialled in for your specific battery . . . then save that as your own pre-set . .
Thank you very much! I might just stick with the default settings!!

Its testing time . . . . .

New Renogy (LOW TEMP) - Smart 100ah Lifepo4 battery added to the collection.

ill do the testing and breakdown on the LOW TEMP LIFEPO4 thread . . . as its a SUB Zero heated battery.

over here: >>>

1625748437874.png

The default looks good, but the absorption is set to 2 hours,

Remember that this Absorption time only starts when Bulk charge has made the battery reach the Absorption voltage. That is when the 2 hours starts.

The battery should be around 95% charged at the point Absorption starts. The 2 hours max (default) completes the charge to full.

Ooh I see, that is interesting! So based on defualts;

Float charge until 14.2, then it's just sit at 14.2 for 2 hours topping the battery up?

@Dilbert @Dellmassive do you also have the victron shunt *BMV-712? Wondering what settings you apply to that!

Back