Leisuredrive Vivante review and photos

Hey there, hope everyone’s well!

only about 10 more days to wait now... super excited.
I wondered if anyone with the single bed variation has any recommendations for bedding? Toppers and small / compact bedding?

we were recommended to look at duvalay, which we have, but we’re not sold on them.
Thanks

I wondered if anyone with the single bed variation has any recommendations for bedding? Toppers and small / compact bedding?

we were recommended to look at duvalay, which we have, but we’re not sold on them.
Thanks
10 days to wait, that’s so exciting :waving: We must have walked past your van in the workshop this week when we went to order ours - wanted to see seat fabric and wood finish on van to get a better idea than samples on wall. We’re not sure about the duvalay either. We will use beds as two singles as well as double, so whatever we decide has to work both ways. We have 4-5 months to sort out though!

Refurbishing our Vivante aka The Rev.
Hi, l have just found this group/thread on the Leisuredrive (LD) Vivante, and read your review and all the comments with great interest. My comment regards our experiences so far. We bought our van last summer (not from LD themselves) after looking at a lot of other models. It is a t5 and was converted in 2013. When lockdown started I was looking for a project so decided to update the rather drab and tired looking interior. The previous owners had kept everything as standard and hardly used the van so it was all in working order and very clean but I thought rather dated. One thing that strikes me is that LD don't seem to have changed the design since first inception and as your extensive reviews mentions there are a number of easy improvements that could be made, if only moving the table to the back door, I also cut it down as it was huge. The build quality of the units is excellent, all the units came apart easily no glue is used only screws so nothing was damaged on removal and after refurbishment all went back in. I made a few alterations moving the table to the back door, we also removed the toilet as we felt though handy we did not need it and the space it freed up is great and I put the table leg which was in the bench seat draw in this cupboard. The biggest issue we found with the design was the front bed configuration though spacious it is a jigsaw and using 7 or so cushions which are all buttoned made it uncomfortable even with a memory foam topper. After several alterations my final solution was to make a pop top bed board in 3 sections using lightweight ply and a foldable mattress that doubles as the bench seat cushion, the 3 bed boards are stored under this cushion so no space is lost, our first trip using the pop top bed was a success. For extra insulation we have purchased an external pop top wrap it fits well and we will be using and reviewing it on our coming trips so far so good and I will post some photos of our next overnighter.View attachment 87070
Hi @PDNC , welcome to Team Leisuredrive! At last, another elevating roof joins us, I was beginning to feel left out :laugh: . That's a striking colour, looks very smart.

I think you are right about the build and design; lots of thought and good use of the space, and very well put together, but not much has changed over the years. Interested to see what you have done with the storage when you get a chance to take some pics :thumbsup:

Thanks
The duvalays are fantastic and very comfy, very warm, but quite bulky. We went for the 4cm foam / maximum width, so together they go the full width across the double; you could go for the narrower ones if using singles. These are ours when all packed up, they go lengthways along the seat rolled up in the grey bags that Duvalay provide, and jammed up against our chairs:

dsc_1205-jpg.77579

I think you definitely need some form of topper, we couldn't sleep on them without something quite deep on top of them, but then we are both getting to the age where comfort is starting to become more important than any other consideration :think smile bounce:

Having said that, might be OK with just sleeping bags? Certainly cheaper to try that if you already have them, and will be easier to store.

Excited for you though, not long now !! :mexican wave:

Hi guys, nice vans, thanks for the reviews and comments. Also useful even if you've had a van a few years.
I would say to @JackiG there is a HUGE thread on solar. I'd consider what else you can do without and put solar in sooner rather than later. The bigger the better. You won't regret it. The greater freedom really helps in the early days of ownership whilst traveling around and not necessarily having a hook up.

@Sabre we asked LD last week about solar when we were ordering and response was that we probably wouldn’t need it. Personally I think we will as don’t I intend to just stay on sites with EHU also intending to tour in Europe. We’ve decided to have next year without to see and add on if need be. Not ideal but decision made :rolleyes:

With the 3-way absorption fridge, running on gas, you can probably do it. The fridge is the big draw.

It may be inefficient but it does work well. We haven't used ours over a weekend on gas, but did many lockdown day trips, and lots of walking when allowed to camp, and the fridge goes on gas when parked up. It took until our last trip to get through a full bottle, even then it might have done a weekend :thumbsup:

The duvalays are fantastic and very comfy, very warm, but quite bulky. We went for the 4cm foam / maximum width, so together they go the full width across the double; you could go for the narrower ones if using singles. These are ours when all packed up, they go lengthways along the seat rolled up in the grey bags that Duvalay provide, and jammed up against our chairs:

dsc_1205-jpg.77579

I think you definitely need some form of topper, we couldn't sleep on them without something quite deep on top of them, but then we are both getting to the age where comfort is starting to become more important than any other consideration :think smile bounce:

Having said that, might be OK with just sleeping bags? Certainly cheaper to try that if you already have them, and will be easier to store.

Excited for you though, not long now !! :mexican wave:

Thanks
Hi there, we tried a 2cm memory foam topper from Cosyco it was ok but after a couple of hours it just mounded itself into the lumps and bumps we were hoping it would smooth out! Definitely go thicker. We replaced our buttoned cushions with unbuttoned which did help a lot. I have now got the pop top bed up and running using a 5cm extra firm Kfoam mattress which is a double designed for all t5, t6 etc.

Reactions: CAB
Hi @PDNC , welcome to Team Leisuredrive! At last, another elevating roof joins us, I was beginning to feel left out :laugh: . That's a striking colour, looks very smart.

I think you are right about the build and design; lots of thought and good use of the space, and very well put together, but not much has changed over the years. Interested to see what you have done with the storage when you get a chance to take some pics :thumbsup:
Hi, the main changes we made were, table cut down by about 6" mounted on the rear door and table pole put into toilet cupboard. Toilet removed and hatches covered over same done to shelving unit to left of sink. Pop top Bed boards made and 3 way mattress purchased, the boards are stored under the bench seat (I removed the slide out bed frame) with mattress on top to act as seat cushion. This means we have a double bed in the roof and a single downstairs, could have 2 singles downstairs if needed just have to put extra cushions in. Our main aim was to funk the van up, utilise the space more for our needs whilst not overcrowding the van. I am yet to replace the fridge and have looked at several options at present we use an electric cool box which so far has worked fine. Will post photos if I can.

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

Hi, the main changes we made were, table cut down by about 6" mounted on the rear door and table pole put into toilet cupboard. Toilet removed and hatches covered over same done to shelving unit to left of sink. Pop top Bed boards made and 3 way mattress purchased, the boards are stored under the bench seat (I removed the slide out bed frame) with mattress on top to act as seat cushion. This means we have a double bed in the roof and a single downstairs, could have 2 singles downstairs if needed just have to put extra cushions in. Our main aim was to funk the van up, utilise the space more for our needs whilst not overcrowding the van. I am yet to replace the fridge and have looked at several options at present we use an electric cool box which so far has worked fine. Will post photos if I can.

View attachment 87970

View attachment 87971

View attachment 87972

View attachment 87973

View attachment 87974

View attachment 87975

View attachment 87976
Some great work there! Love the theme and colour scheme.

The fridge might be a bit tricky because of the gas, be interested to know where the feed goes from the gas locker.

Great to see you making it your own, have you tried it out in anger yet?

Also interested to know why you removed the small shelves, is it for storage of something specific?

Some great work there! Love the theme and colour scheme.

The fridge might be a bit tricky because of the gas, be interested to know where the feed goes from the gas locker.

Great to see you making it your own, have you tried it out in anger yet?

Also interested to know why you removed the small shelves, is it for storage of something specific?
Yes we have had a few overnight stays, the pop up bed is a great success as long as you are not claustrophobic, especially if you are the one sleeping on the narrow/hinged side! I originally intended putting the table leg where the shelves were, however we can now use it to store rear awning and walking poles. We found the shelves pretty redundant and prefer what for us is a more usable space. Next project is making an exterior front and driver/passenger windscreen cover which will tidy up the cab area and do away with the front curtains which always gap and float around a bit if you see what I mean. As for the fridge gas the pipe is already in place. We need to consider gas or deisel heating not sure which is best, any views and tips would be welcome. Currently we have electric fan heating which works off mains hook up only.

Yes we have had a few overnight stays, the pop up bed is a great success as long as you are not claustrophobic, especially if you are the one sleeping on the narrow/hinged side! I originally intended putting the table leg where the shelves were, however we can now use it to store rear awning and walking poles. We found the shelves pretty redundant and prefer what for us is a more usable space. Next project is making an exterior front and driver/passenger windscreen cover which will tidy up the cab area and do away with the front curtains which always gap and float around a bit if you see what I mean. As for the fridge gas the pipe is already in place. We need to consider gas or deisel heating not sure which is best, any views and tips would be welcome. Currently we have electric fan heating which works off mains hook up only.
Diesel heater, plenty of threads on here, search for Webasto or Eberspacher. Gas is usually only if you have an LPG tank. Makes a huge difference in the evening!

Plenty have DIY'd it, or up to a £1000 for purchase & fitting. Fairly economical on diesel, doesn't seem to use too much. Leisuredrive put it in the van under the drivers seat, but most commonly it goes under the van on drivers side, with outlet up through driver seat base.

@JackiG hi, big congratulations on your order. Im curious what sort of choice/advise you receive when ordering regarding the charging systems on the van. Specifically, what kind or split charging relay, also the 230v to 12v charger/power source. Thanks.
p.s +1 for the palm tree!

@JackiG hi, big congratulations on your order. Im curious what sort of choice/advise you receive when ordering regarding the charging systems on the van. Specifically, what kind or split charging relay, also the 230v to 12v charger/power source. Thanks.
p.s +1 for the palm tree!
Well I’m chuckling as your question has gone over my head! I just know that we have a leisure battery that charges when we’re driving and the 3 way fridge works from battery, gas or EHU. We’d need to be on EHU to power 240v appliances otherwise it’s just 12v ones. Sorry for my limited technical knowledge, I’m sure there’s plenty on the forum with far more reliable knowledge :) are you ordering a Leisure drive van?

Hi, no Im not ordering one, I purchased one back in June, a 10 year old van with a 5 year old conversion. I kept my van on hook up on the drive believing that it would be best for the batteries but I noticed the black charger was quite warm. Long story short, the type of charger in my van doesn’t really trickle charge or condition the batteries, just kind of dumbly forces 14.5v into the battery constantly, which isn’t good at all for your leisure battery life and can lead to a build up of gas within the battery.
I changed my charger for a battery conditioner that can be left on all the time. I just wandered what conversations LD have with there customers about this area. I’m not surprised at all that it’s not top of people’s priority’s when specing a van. I’m by no means a expert, I just didn’t like the warm charger sat in the van so I went from there. Cheers

edit- original charger is a PB10 mk6

Hi, no Im not ordering one, I purchased one back in June, a 10 year old van with a 5 year old conversion. I kept my van on hook up on the drive believing that it would be best for the batteries but I noticed the black charger was quite warm. Long story short, the type of charger in my van doesn’t really trickle charge or condition the batteries, just kind of dumbly forces 14.5v into the battery constantly, which isn’t good at all for your leisure battery life and can lead to a build up of gas within the battery.
I changed my charger for a battery conditioner that can be left on all the time. I just wandered what conversations LD have with there customers about this area. I’m not surprised at all that it’s not top of people’s priority’s when specing a van. I’m by no means a expert, I just didn’t like the warm charger sat in the van so I went from there. Cheers

edit- original charger is a PB10 mk6
What did you change it for? And where was it? I think previously the charger was at the back behind the swivel loo, but with the bench loo they use now it is in the floor cupboard below the fridge. The 240v fuse box has been moved there as well.

Is it hooked up to the existing control panel?

@CAB youre correct, the charger is behind the swivel loo, as is the 230v consumer unit. After a little research I replaced the PB10 with a VICTRON BATTERY CHARGER SMART UK 12 VOLT IP22 20 Amp 3 Outputs. It cycles the battery to store it safely and also serves as a direct 12v power supply. The control panel which you switch between van and battery still reads the voltages on the analogue dial.

Part 3 - The Bed.

Do you remember those puzzle squares, the ones where you have to rearrange the tiles, and only have one empty space? This bed is like that!

These are the back seats, when upright.

View attachment 71834

To make the bed (or the sofa), remove the cushion (they are just held with velcro strips), lift the latch, and slide forward.

View attachment 71840

View attachment 71841

This is the sofa; most of the Vivantes come with a fixed sofa, we wanted the option of a fourth 3-point belted seat.

View attachment 71835

To make the bed, you flatten both seats. Swap the cushions; the seats make for a better pillow than the backs as they are slightly raised at the front.

You can have two singles, it's a good setup for that, but for a double you take the bed board from behind the sofa (having forgotten to take it out beforehand, when it was easier) and place on the flat seats; four plastic wedges locate it in the right place.

View attachment 71836

Sofa bolster goes in the middle.

View attachment 71837

Then the fun part. The front seats need to be facing forward. Take the headrests off, and place on the floor between the seats. Move the seat all the way forward, then lay almost flat. Wedge the back seat cushion against the top of the seat, then push down on both as you flatten the seat, and voila!

View attachment 71838

Turn around, do the same on the other side, then clamber onto the bed. Put the cushion on top of the headrests that are wedged between the seats, and you have your bed.

View attachment 71839

Then realise that you have left your Duvalays in the footwells of the van, and have to climb out the back and drag them in!

It is a lot of work, you would need to be in reasonable condition to do this every night, and reverse it in the morning.

The bed may look awkward, but is actually very comfy. Add a topper, and it sleeps very well, no back-ache for me, and my wife sleeps well on it, which is not always the case at home. It's a very wide bed, we bought the widest duvalays and they fit perfectly.

The curtains wrap around the front; only a few minor gaps, which would probably not bother most, but were fixed by my wife. The blackout material is very good.

View attachment 71845

Bedding storage is an issue with this layout; we will put the duvalays on the O/S back seat when travelling, and then move into the passenger and driver footwells when parked up.

The wrap-up, and the odds and sods next time!
Hi,

We also have a Vivante (bought converted from another company as it had been used as a part ex) but ours didn't come with the board to make the double bed. We have been using an infill cushion mounted on a board which is then supported by wooden struts made from interlocking boards. However this isn't as stable as we would like. I am interested in what the official Leisuredrive solution is. If possible would you mind measuring the board they provide and also showing the fasteners to keep it in place so we can hopefully replicate this solution. We have the high top so the board should sit up above the cab with the bedding on top.
Also do you know what the board is made from and the where we could buy some?

Thank you

Hi,

We also have a Vivante (bought converted from another company as it had been used as a part ex) but ours didn't come with the board to make the double bed. We have been using an infill cushion mounted on a board which is then supported by wooden struts made from interlocking boards. However this isn't as stable as we would like. I am interested in what the official Leisuredrive solution is. If possible would you mind measuring the board they provide and also showing the fasteners to keep it in place so we can hopefully replicate this solution. We have the high top so the board should sit up above the cab with the bedding on top.
Also do you know what the board is made from and the where we could buy some?

Thank you
I'll get the tape measure out tonight!

Back