Leisuredrive Vivante review and photos

Thank you for a really deep appraise of your camper. I am intrigued by the fitment of a three way fridge in that location, I would have opted for a compressor version which would have had no vents in the side and probably would have generated less heat.

You have confirmed all that we thought sixteen years ago when we were looking for a conversion company to convert a LWB T4 for us. None are exactly what you want, most are constructed down to a price and many are skimped beyond belief.

In the end, having been lucky enough to have been offered a handshake from work that was too good to refuse, I decided to convert ours myself. That was the first of five that I have done in the intervening years as we now run a 2016 LWB Highline T6 with Reimo high roof converted on a new vehicle. The things that we have learned about just how we use and require our camper to be are too numerous to mention and still I look at what could be better/different.

Anyone interested in how and what I have done can see our previous camper for sale at VW T5 Camper, 2014 Model LWB 2 Berth Hightop

Ours will never be perfect for everyone but has always done what we need over 50,000 miles of use.

Rod
Interesting review, thanks ;) You've done very well to get so much into a SWB.
Our Autosleepers (Trophy and Topaz) had a rear kitchen and one-each-side beds, Its been a while now but as I remember AS used the standard seats, at night they were both swivelled 180 and just the bum seat formed part of the bed, so its interesting to see how LD have done it.
Re the hot drawer, why not use that for your cuttlery?
Thanks both for your kind words.

@rod_vw , that's a very nice looking van, very professional-looking job you did there. I'm still undecided on the hi-top; we considered it but still can't get my head around the look. We will probably tally up the car parks we would definitely not get in, and in a few years look back and see if it would have been an issue for us, and would it outweigh the storage issues. Almost certain to go LWB next time; hopefully my daughter will have moved out by then, and we won't have to accomodate her car on the drive :laugh:

I have read all the discussions on fridges on here. Seems modern 12V compressors are very efficient, these 3-way supposedly not. We run it off gas when not hooked up, so battery not an issue. Leisuredrive don't seem to offer compressor as an option although I am sure they would if you asked. One issue is noise - these 3-way are virtually silent, you can hear them if you really listen, but it is constant and very low-level. Mrs CAB was disturbed by the compressor in the van we borrowed last year, however quiet they are now it would wake her at some point.

@Phil_G , hadn't considered moving the cutlery drawer, seems obvious now you have said it! Will consider it this weekend. I am not sure it needs the full length seat to be the bed, keep meaning to look but it's always dark and late! :sleep:

Last edited:
Generic pic, not mine:

20200730_204213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CAB
@CAB we've used LWB Hightop VW vans for over twenty years now as both holiday and everyday transport and always managed to negotiate parking, mountain roads and narrow streets without too much of a problem. Living in the semi rural part of east Shropshire is without doubt a benefit in that respect.

As for the fridge noise, yes we can discern the sound in the dead of night but if fitted with good sound deadening behind the fridge cavity in our latest conversion I have great difficulty in hearing it running. The current fridge is a Waeco CRX65, the one in the T5 is the older CR65, I feel that the CRX65 is more efficient.

Generic pic, not mine:

View attachment 79549
I think those rear seat pads look longer than the Leisuredrive ones, which allows for just using the rotated front seats. Having said that, lots of other rear-kitchen VW layouts use single Rib seats, and just the rotated seats at the feet.

First trip out in the new van at the weekend, loving it! I'll post some more info & photos in due course but between picking it up and work it's been a busy few days! PS CAB The Vivante Palm Tree logo will be coming off!
IMG_9941.JPG

• Haha
I have read all the discussions on fridges on here. Seems modern 12V compressors are very efficient, these 3-way supposedly not. We run it off gas when not hooked up, so battery not an issue. Leisuredrive don't seem to offer compressor as an option although I am sure they would if you asked. One issue is noise - these 3-way are virtually silent, you can hear them if you really listen, but it is constant and very low-level. Mrs CAB was disturbed by the compressor in the van we borrowed last year, however quiet they are now it would wake her at some point.

Leisuredrive do offer a Webasto Cruise 65 compressor fridge option (standard on some of their builds too). I wanted a absorption/three way anyway so not an option I considered (which fridge type is best is whole new debate ;))

Glad to see you getting to use it so soon! How did the pickup go? What do you think of the van? Have you given it a name yet? Did you get the water pipe sorted?

You can join Team Leisuredrive now!

Compressor, no question. No holes in the side of the van, with two leisure batteries and solar on the roof gas costs will only be for cooking, do I need to say more.

In addition, just switch it on before you fill it when packing to go away, switch it off when you arrive back home. Job done.

Oh and to add to that, a compressor fridge keeps on cooling in excessively high ambient temperatures. Absorption ones struggle or fail completely.

Last edited:
Hi, very interesting read. I’ve recently treated myself to a Vivante LWB high top, converted 5 years ago, it doesn’t seem to have seen much action but has stood the test of time really very well, it looks brand new. I put this down to a careful previous owner, but also give credit to leisure drive for the quality of their workmanship and materials also.
I understand not everyone is interested, but I’m particularly interested in the 12v systems, such as the split charging relay and 230v to 12v hookup charger. Have you delved into this side of things? I wonder when ordering, what choices you are given on this side of things?
On the charging side, mine is equipt with a sealed black unit (ESTRASIL PB10 mk6) Could this be standard fitment, I don’t know seems to do the job, although on occasions gets a little warm?
I’m struggling to locate the split charging relay for now, I wander if you were aware where it is located? Thanks

Hi, very interesting read. I’ve recently treated myself to a Vivante LWB high top, converted 5 years ago, it doesn’t seem to have seen much action but has stood the test of time really very well, it looks brand new. I put this down to a careful previous owner, but also give credit to leisure drive for the quality of their workmanship and materials also.
I understand not everyone is interested, but I’m particularly interested in the 12v systems, such as the split charging relay and 230v to 12v hookup charger. Have you delved into this side of things? I wonder when ordering, what choices you are given on this side of things?
On the charging side, mine is equipt with a sealed black unit (ESTRASIL PB10 mk6) Could this be standard fitment, I don’t know seems to do the job, although on occasions gets a little warm?
I’m struggling to locate the split charging relay for now, I wander if you were aware where it is located? Thanks

The black box that you refer to is a small and simple 7.5Amp battery charger.

I have no idea where Leisuredrive fit their split charge relay or what version of activating it they use. The OEM version is a high current relay fitted under the left front seat and activated by a signal from the Body Control Module (BCM). In VW format it receives its incoming connection from the engine side from fuse three in the large black box that hides under the mounting plate for the engine battery, not to be confused with the little fuse box just in front of the engine battery.
Only careful searching or the knowledge of another Leisuredrive owner will tell you where it is on your vehicle.

Hi @MrOrk , welcome to the forum!

Yes, the PB10 is standard. I don't know if there was an option, I got mine through an agent.

Have you got a Leisuredrive handbook with yours? It doesn't say much, you can get a PDF from their website if not.

As @rod_vw says, have a good look. I'm not too sure what is installed, I know the battery charges when the engine runs, and the fridge can run off the vehicle when driving. Only thing it doesn't do, as far as I know, is charge the vehicle battery from hook-up.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions. This thread is for that, and discussions about the vehicles, but don't forget to post some pics in Team Leisuredrive :thumbsup:

Hi @CAB, thanks for the welcome. Yes I had quite a few instructions/manuals with the van, but can’t really find much info about them. Had a look yesterday and found a TEC3M relay by the leisure battery which I think is the split charging relay after a quick google. It’s worth a note that after searching both the ESTRASIL PB10 mk6 And the TEC3M seem to be quite entry level components but saying that seem to do the job. It’d guess they are unseen components that arnt high up on peoples priories, but as the PB10 doesn’t really seem to float charge or condition the leisure battery, just pump 15v constant onto it which may effect the life of the battery and/or build up gas if left on hook up for long periods. Leisure batteries arnt a cheap item so skimping on the charger may prove to be a false economy.
I don’t mean to sound negative at all, just my thoughts. Thanks

Hi @CAB, thanks for the welcome. Yes I had quite a few instructions/manuals with the van, but can’t really find much info about them. Had a look yesterday and found a TEC3M relay by the leisure battery which I think is the split charging relay after a quick google. It’s worth a note that after searching both the ESTRASIL PB10 mk6 And the TEC3M seem to be quite entry level components but saying that seem to do the job. It’d guess they are unseen components that arnt high up on peoples priories, but as the PB10 doesn’t really seem to float charge or condition the leisure battery, just pump 15v constant onto it which may effect the life of the battery and/or build up gas if left on hook up for long periods. Leisure batteries arnt a cheap item so skimping on the charger may prove to be a false economy.
I don’t mean to sound negative at all, just my thoughts. Thanks
No problem, all views /opinions welcome! Good to know what is in the van, thanks for the information. There are loads of Leisuredrive vehicles out there, so can't be terrible!

Have always liked the Vivante layout, and Leisuredrives do seem well built.
Just one note of caution - which the OP does mention - before buying one, do check the front seats are comfortable for you on an extended test drive.
Because they lie flat, rather than swivel, they are not the VW factory seats, but softer, less sculpted, after-market replacements. That means they are probably more comfy on site and for sleeping, but (for us - purely subjectively), lack the necessary support when driving.
We've looked at the Vivante several times over the years and taken test drives, but each time decided against buying for that sole reason.
Our current van (bespoke, by Nu-Venture), uses the same basic layout, but with factory seats. It has a Leisuredrive high-top which greatly increases carrying capacity over the elevating-roof version. The roof is well-made, was good value and was quickly available. Worth considering, if you're having a van converted.

Have always liked the Vivante layout, and Leisuredrives do seem well built.
Just one note of caution - which the OP does mention - before buying one, do check the front seats are comfortable for you on an extended test drive.
Because they lie flat, rather than swivel, they are not the VW factory seats, but softer, less sculpted, after-market replacements. That means they are probably more comfy on site and for sleeping, but (for us - purely subjectively), lack the necessary support when driving.
We've looked at the Vivante several times over the years and taken test drives, but each time decided against buying for that sole reason.
Our current van (bespoke, by Nu-Venture), uses the same basic layout, but with factory seats. It has a Leisuredrive high-top which greatly increases carrying capacity over the elevating-roof version. The roof is well-made, was good value and was quickly available. Worth considering, if you're having a van converted.
Good point @Brom about the seats; I have seen other comments about them; I haven't found an issue yet on any 2 hour drives, but then I'm a shortarse!

We did look at the Nu-Venture site last year; an interesting option for a mini-motorhome. So are you saying they did their panel van layout on your VW with Leisuredrive roof? Interesting.

For our next van we will have the time to take a better look at all options, without feeling we need to rush and make a decision.

Just on the seats, as a lot of things, they are very subjective. For reference I’m 6’4 and have just been on a 4 hr jaunt with minimal breaks with no issues. Some seats do tend to irritate my back, these don’t. Touch wood

So given the van a good test now - Devon to Scotland and back via Northumberland.dd6ece5b-8879-45f7-8231-6444e87f1d7d.jpgIMG_0370.JPG
Van didn't miss a beat and was good to drive long distances even with a trailer and high top. I had debated whether I might get the 102 tuned up because of the towing and high top but wasn't really an issue, maybe the occasional extra gear change here and there (also drive a 4-motion @140bhp fairly regularly too so can directly compare to that).

The front seats seem to be reasonably sculpted, I had assumed the original VW seats were simply recovered. Certainly comfier than the seats in my Seat Arona (ironically!) Me and the Mrs got into a routine for sorting the seats to bed layout (maybe slightly easier with the side bench seat option than the two belted seats option). Mrs was impressed with the storage as the van seemed smaller than the Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper we had before.

A couple of minor issues that Leisuredrive are going to sort out including a missing bolt on the sliding door and replacement plastic splashguard underneath as the old one is cracked. Looking for advice where to get these but will probably post another thread for this.

We even saw another T6 Leisuredrive pulling into Tackeroo Campsite at Cannock Chase where we stopped off on the way back just as we were leaving. Anyone on here by any remote chance?

Last edited:
CAB - I was keeping an eye on the drawer above the fridge after what you were saying. Leisuredrive made the back & sides higher as I specced after your comment but have not noticed it getting particularly hot, very slightly warmer but not much and I have been running to on 240v and gas. Certainly does not appear to get as warm as yours appears to. Worth getting yours checked maybe?

You were also asking about the water pump. Mine seems to be slightly different with a 12v submersible pump that just fits into the smaller hole in the plastic water tank.

I prefer the style on our Leisuredrives to the underslung tank on the Autosleeper which could hold more but you could never quite clean properly or trust the water for drinking (always had the odd black bits even after chlorine rinses etc!) Can also quickly check with ours how much water is left - even with the tank gauge on the old van would always run out even when showing half a tank left.....normally just as it got dark and was raining!IMG_0826.JPGIMG_0825.JPG

Back