Leisuredrive Vivante review and photos

CAB - I was keeping an eye on the drawer above the fridge after what you were saying. Leisuredrive made the back & sides higher as I specced after your comment but have not noticed it getting particularly hot, very slightly warmer but not much and I have been running to on 240v and gas. Certainly does not appear to get as warm as yours appears to. Worth getting yours checked maybe?

You were also asking about the water pump. Mine seems to be slightly different with a 12v submersible pump that just fits into the smaller hole in the plastic water tank.

I prefer the style on our Leisuredrives to the underslung tank on the Autosleeper which could hold more but you could never quite clean properly or trust the water for drinking (always had the odd black bits even after chlorine rinses etc!) Can also quickly check with ours how much water is left - even with the tank gauge on the old van would always run out even when showing half a tank left.....normally just as it got dark and was raining!View attachment 83752View attachment 83753
Interesting. We have the shower attachment with a heavy duty pump which is attached to the right side of the lower cupboard, maybe that's the reason?

I think the fridge is ok, seems to run on half power fine (dial at 6 o'clock), maybe the hi-top has more room for air circulation at the back?

You certainly seem to have got some use out of it, that's a heck of a shakedown trip :think smile bounce:

So given the van a good test now - Devon to Scotland and back via Northumberland.View attachment 83728View attachment 83729
Van didn't miss a beat and was good to drive long distances even with a trailer and high top. I had debated whether I might get the 102 tuned up because of the towing and high top but wasn't really an issue, maybe the occasional extra gear change here and there (also drive a 4-motion @140bhp fairly regularly too so can directly compare to that).

The front seats seem to be reasonably sculpted, I had assumed the original VW seats were simply recovered. Certainly comfier than the seats in my Seat Arona (ironically!) Me and the Mrs got into a routine for sorting the seats to bed layout (maybe slightly easier with the side bench seat option than the two belted seats option). Mrs was impressed with the storage as the van seemed smaller than the Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper we had before.

A couple of minor issues that Leisuredrive are going to sort out including a missing bolt on the sliding door and replacement plastic splashguard underneath as the old one is cracked. Looking for advice where to get these but will probably post another thread for this.

We even saw another T6 Leisuredrive pulling into Tackeroo Campsite at Cannock Chase where we stopped off on the way back just as we were leaving. Anyone on here by any remote chance?
Agree on the bed, gets easier after a few go's, once you get into a routine. What do you use on top?

Found the heater!

I'd always assumed it was underneath, don't know why; anyway, while fixing the handbrake signal cable I looked under the driver seat, and there it was!

2020-09-05 13-50-09 Sony.JPG

Also a few pics of the handbrake; @Deaky reckons it might be a Sportscraft lowering bracket. Here it is, along with the cover that was provided.

2020-09-05 15-33-10 Sony.JPG

2020-09-05 12-57-47 Sony.JPG

Hooray, another for Team Leisuredrive ! Welcome to the forum @jjteal , that's exactly why I wrote it, it's the sort of thing I was looking for but couldn't find.

LWB and Hi-Top, you'll be able to fit your whole wardrobe in :laugh::laugh:

What have you gone for specs wise, older T6 or a new T6.1? Have you specced heater, awning, etc. Hot water? Is it the Vivante or their Vivante-X? When is your due date?

Good idea to hire one, nothing beats actually using and sleeping in one to firm up your ideas.

Hello again! I'm sorry, for some reason I didn't get notified I'd had this reply. I just wandered back in to see if it really had gone quiet....
We're about 5 weeks off delivery now and very excited.
Yes - we're hoping it'll be roomy - 2 kids to go in the high top, and as you say - all our belongings the rest of the time!
We've got a 68 plate StartLine, 22k miles on the clock. Wind out awning, just a plug in heater for now, no running hot water. I think it's a standard Vivante. Loo obviously, but no shower for now either. It has barn doors. Bluetooth, alarm, rear sensors, AC... We're having it 2 tone ultimately. But maybe a wrap instead of paint.
We did a few minor adjustments, like no touch lights over the seats/beds, didn't like the blue glow! and we're looking to add a couple of mesh pockets etc while it's in the factory. We're having a wire run to the rear side wardrobe wall to add a speaker later.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Reactions: CAB
like no touch lights over the seats/beds, didn't like the blue glow!

Ha, yes. This was the first thing I replaced after sleeping really badly the first night we got our van! That blue glow seems subtle during the day but really bright at night when you're trying to drift off to sleep....Maybe I've just got overly sensitive eyeballs! :fast rofl:

Anyway keep counting down those days to delivery, not long!

Ha, yes. This was the first thing I replaced after sleeping really badly the first night we got our van! That blue glow seems subtle during the day but really bright at night when you're trying to drift off to sleep....Maybe I've just got overly sensitive eyeballs! :fast rofl:

Anyway keep counting down those days to delivery, not long!

Ah good! That you felt the same - I thought we were being overly sensitive, but we didn't like them in the one we rented. Anything else you wish you'd done/not done, SIB? Thanks :)

Ah good! That you felt the same - I thought we were being overly sensitive, but we didn't like them in the one we rented. Anything else you wish you'd done/not done, SIB? Thanks :)
OMG, first thing we did first night was find something to cover them up!!

Now my last task at night is to switch on my headtorch, turn off the light circuit switch, and clamber into bed :fast rofl:

Hello again! I'm sorry, for some reason I didn't get notified I'd had this reply. I just wandered back in to see if it really had gone quiet....
We're about 5 weeks off delivery now and very excited.
Yes - we're hoping it'll be roomy - 2 kids to go in the high top, and as you say - all our belongings the rest of the time!
We've got a 68 plate StartLine, 22k miles on the clock. Wind out awning, just a plug in heater for now, no running hot water. I think it's a standard Vivante. Loo obviously, but no shower for now either. It has barn doors. Bluetooth, alarm, rear sensors, AC... We're having it 2 tone ultimately. But maybe a wrap instead of paint.
We did a few minor adjustments, like no touch lights over the seats/beds, didn't like the blue glow! and we're looking to add a couple of mesh pockets etc while it's in the factory. We're having a wire run to the rear side wardrobe wall to add a speaker later.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.
5 weeks, you're going to need that heater :oops:

We've picked up another couple of Team Leisuredrive members, they all seem to be high-tops, I'm feeling left out :think smile bounce:

Hi I’ve just found this thread and joined. We hope to order our Vivante high top next month and I’m sooo excited! We went to Leisuredrive and had look at a few models, the high top is definitely more suitable for us.
Top tips welcome, ideally want a van 3 years old or less. There’s just the two of us and two dogs. Love seeing your pics and ideas how to improve on what we think is a great little camper.

Hi @JackiG , welcome to the forum! Hope you found the thread useful, ask away as there are a few of us in Team Leisuredrive now! Most of them are high-tops.

Van features:
For me, has to have aircon, and minimum of Rear Parking Sensors. If I were doing it again I would go with Front Sensors plus reversing camera.

Satnav I could take or leave, we have a Garmin we use. I wouldn't use Android App Connect or Apple Car Play, others use it all the time.

Doors - definitely Barn Doors with the Vivante, you will be using the back doors quite a bit. Much easier than a tailgate, although you don't get the shelter. I would go for either powered sliding door or soft-close next time, but not essential.

Engine:
I find the 102 to be enough, not racing anywhere. However I would go DSG (automatic) next time, which is only on the 150 and above.

Conversion:
We have used our Fiamma awning loads of times, would definitely recommend if there's just the two of you (make sure you buy a tie-down kit!).

Diesel heater as well - very efficient, warms up the van in no time, and in summer the blown-air fan can really move the air about and cool the van.

We had them put the Loc8 table in the sliding door; dead useful for days out and using outside. A bit tricky to get in and out because of the seat in the doorway, but you soon get the knack.

Floor - we went for a subtle sparkle, I would definitely go ultra-sparkle next time!

Can't think of what else to add, apart from of course the two most important decisions:
  1. Van colour
  2. To logo or not logo :fast rofl:

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Hi @JackiG , welcome to the forum! Hope you found the thread useful, ask away as there are a few of us in Team Leisuredrive now! Most of them are high-tops.

Van features:
For me, has to have aircon, and minimum of Rear Parking Sensors. If I were doing it again I would go with Front Sensors plus reversing camera.

Satnav I could take or leave, we have a Garmin we use. I wouldn't use Android App Connect or Apple Car Play, others use it all the time.

Doors - definitely Barn Doors with the Vivante, you will be using the back doors quite a bit. Much easier than a tailgate, although you don't get the shelter. I would go for either powered sliding door or soft-close next time, but not essential.

Engine:
I find the 102 to be enough, not racing anywhere. However I would go DSG (automatic) next time, which is only on the 150 and above.

Conversion:
We have used our Fiamma awning loads of times, would definitely recommend if there's just the two of you (make sure you buy a tie-down kit!).

Diesel heater as well - very efficient, warms up the van in no time, and in summer the blown-air fan can really move the air about and cool the van.

We had them put the Loc8 table in the sliding door; dead useful for days out and using outside. A bit tricky to get in and out because of the seat in the doorway, but you soon get the knack.

Floor - we went for a subtle sparkle, I would definitely go ultra-sparkle next time!

Can't think of what else to add, apart from of course the two most important decisions:
  1. Van colour
  2. To logo or not logo :fast rofl:

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:
Hi @CAB thanks for the useful info. We had decided on a few features: barn doors, heater, awning and parking sensors (which I have on my Golf and they’re useful ) but there’s lots more that you have given us to consider.
I’ve not thought about interior finish too much yet as have to see what’s available. But with 2 dogs, leather or fabric seats we’re going to go for the bench layout I think I can’t picture how your table works, any pics?
Lol I agree the most important thing, I’m leading towards two tone: white and grey/green but my hub isn’t convinced, yet! And also the palm tree!
I’m sure I’ll have loads more to think about and I’ll probably be beyond excited when we go to order. Shopping has already started for kit, while there’s some end of season bargains about.
Look forward to updating

Hi @CAB thanks for the useful info. We had decided on a few features: barn doors, heater, awning and parking sensors (which I have on my Golf and they’re useful ) but there’s lots more that you have given us to consider.
I’ve not thought about interior finish too much yet as have to see what’s available. But with 2 dogs, leather or fabric seats we’re going to go for the bench layout I think I can’t picture how your table works, any pics?
Lol I agree the most important thing, I’m leading towards two tone: white and grey/green but my hub isn’t convinced, yet! And also the palm tree!
I’m sure I’ll have loads more to think about and I’ll probably be beyond excited when we go to order. Shopping has already started for kit, while there’s some end of season bargains about.
Look forward to updating
Hi Jacki. It's this one:

You can see it in our sliding door here:

dsc_0898-jpg.70520

It is pricey, but it is out of the way, doesn't take up any space in the van, and is a good quality table. We use ours multiple times every trip. If you think you might use it best to get Leisuredrive to put it in - it would be pretty tricky once the seat is in the way, I had one clip missing, and it was a real contortion to replace it.

I'd say the bench makes sense if you don't plan on using the 4th seat belt, will be much easier to make up a double bed as well.

Two-tone will look great, white over grey will look very classy, and over green will be funky!

The planning is an expensive time, but the wait while it is built is even more so :think smile bounce:

Hi guys I’ve another question please. After reading about the 3 way fridge vs a compressor fridge, we’re thinking the compressor model makes sense. Do any of you have solar fitted as well so always power said fridge if not on EHU? Just thinking if we’re using lightning, tv etc don’t want to drain leisure battery. I think my wish list might be exceeding our budget for this van!
:oops: :think smile bounce:

Hi guys I’ve another question please. After reading about the 3 way fridge vs a compressor fridge, we’re thinking the compressor model makes sense. Do any of you have solar fitted as well so always power said fridge if not on EHU? Just thinking if we’re using lightning, tv etc don’t want to drain leisure battery. I think my wish list might be exceeding our budget for this van!
:oops: :think smile bounce:
We have always been on hook-up, so happy to use gas during the day when parked up somewhere. We have only just swapped our 907 bottle, and have been using the gas since May, and camping since July.

It's a big topic, solar and fridges. Most convertors seem to use compressors as standard.

We have 180Ah of lead acid leisure batteries (2), 100W Solar with RING RSCDC30 unit which controls both charge from engine and MPPT solar control.

This adequately manages to power a Waeco CRX65 fridge as required, LED lighting and Eberspacher Airtronic for heating or air circulation as required for a couple of days off grid in European summer weather. When ever possible when on holiday in Europe we use Aires with no EHU.

Hi Cab, good post and review. We have a standard layout in a TDI340 manual van.
Having slept in ours on a few long trips what I have learned is that there is no perfect setup, you always find little things that you think could be done differently. I think storage is always an issue as we all tend to bring things that dont or hardly get used. I'm trying hard not to, but doesn't always work.

We vanners all seem to check out each other's Vans and you see good ideas in all of them. I always think that if I build a van later on I will add this and do that as having used mine you learn what is good and what could be better.
We developed a night time setup routine too ,as I think we all do.
All in all though I think all setups are good and we learn the best way to use them just by getting out in them when possible.

Last edited:
Hi Cab, good post and review. We have a standard layout in a TDI340 manual van.
Having slept in ours on a few long trips what I have learned is that there is no perfect setup, you always find little things that you think could be done differently. I think storage is always an issue as we all tend to bring things that dont or hardly get used. I'm trying hard not to, but doesn't always work.

We vanners all seem to check out each other's Vans and you see good ideas in all of them. I always think that if I build a van later on I will add this and do that as having used mine you learn what is good and what could be better.
We developed a night time setup routine too ,as I think we all do.
All in all though I think all setups are good and we learn the best way to use them just by getting out in them when possible.
I know! No.1 pastime on campsites is checking other people's setup :laugh:

We have 180Ah of lead acid leisure batteries (2), 100W Solar with RING RSCDC30 unit which controls both charge from engine and MPPT solar control.

This adequately manages to power a Waeco CRX65 fridge as required, LED lighting and Eberspacher Airtronic for heating or air circulation as required for a couple of days off grid in European summer weather. When ever possible when on holiday in Europe we use Aires with no EHU.
I do like the idea of solar, if it’s out of budget with starting out with the van we can always add at a later date. Going to Leisuredrive tomorrow!

• Love
Refurbishing our Vivante aka The Rev.
Hi, l have just found this group/thread on the Leisuredrive (LD) Vivante, and read your review and all the comments with great interest. My comment regards our experiences so far. We bought our van last summer (not from LD themselves) after looking at a lot of other models. It is a t5 and was converted in 2013. When lockdown started I was looking for a project so decided to update the rather drab and tired looking interior. The previous owners had kept everything as standard and hardly used the van so it was all in working order and very clean but I thought rather dated. One thing that strikes me is that LD don't seem to have changed the design since first inception and as your extensive reviews mentions there are a number of easy improvements that could be made, if only moving the table to the back door, I also cut it down as it was huge. The build quality of the units is excellent, all the units came apart easily no glue is used only screws so nothing was damaged on removal and after refurbishment all went back in. I made a few alterations moving the table to the back door, we also removed the toilet as we felt though handy we did not need it and the space it freed up is great and I put the table leg which was in the bench seat draw in this cupboard. The biggest issue we found with the design was the front bed configuration though spacious it is a jigsaw and using 7 or so cushions which are all buttoned made it uncomfortable even with a memory foam topper. After several alterations my final solution was to make a pop top bed board in 3 sections using lightweight ply and a foldable mattress that doubles as the bench seat cushion, the 3 bed boards are stored under this cushion so no space is lost, our first trip using the pop top bed was a success. For extra insulation we have purchased an external pop top wrap it fits well and we will be using and reviewing it on our coming trips so far so good and I will post some photos of our next overnighter.IMG_1071.PNG

Last edited:
Back