Leisuredrive Vivante review and photos

Hi Sib, welcome to the forum!

Glad you found it useful, exactly why I wrote it! We had 13 weeks from ordering in which we planned various things and ordered loads of stuff, it would have been useful to have this reference before we did so!

You should be fine with food / clothing / bedding storage with the Hi-top. The only thing you will have to think about is big stuff like chairs / awning etc.

It's odd with the drawer. I can't see why it isn't full height all round. The cutlery drawer isn't, but that's because there is a gas pipe underneath the hob which would foul a full-height back. Maybe they will tell you it's a vital vent space :mad:

Waste water is a black plastic container; it lives on top of the toilet ordinarily, underneath the worktop; you place it underneath the sink waste outlet. I have ordered a stuff sac for mine, as if it gets wet / gravel on it, I can imagine it damaging the toilet lid.

I also got some waste pipe, to put a short bit from the sink outlet into the container, as otherwise it seems to alternately dribble and spurt.

I'll send you a pm with all the details of bungs, pipes etc.

What's your base van specification, was it yours or one they provided?

Let me know if there is anything specific, measurements / pictures etc., glad for any excuse to go into the van as I am WFH these days and need the movement!
Hi CAB, could send me those details of the bungs and pipes, too, please? Cheers.

Hi CAB, could send me those details of the bungs and pipes, too, please? Cheers.
Will do.

Apparently they were not needed by Sib if I recall, as the standard pump is a submersible which sits in the container and fits the neck.

The upgraded pump for the external shower option sits on the inside cupboard wall, this is what requires a bung to stop spillage when driving, and weighted end to hold the pipe end below water level. Neither of which were supplied with the van.

Will do.

Apparently they were not needed by Sib if I recall, as the standard pump is a submersible which sits in the container and fits the neck.

The upgraded pump for the external shower option sits on the inside cupboard wall, this is what requires a bung to stop spillage when driving, and weighted end to hold the pipe end below water level. Neither of which were supplied with the van.
We’ve got the shower attachment too, so bung definitely worth getting.

Reactions: CAB
We’ve got the shower attachment too, so bung definitely worth getting.
Size 37/41mm

The centre bit cut with a craft knife was a perfect fit for the pipe.

For the weight I just used a 1/2" BSP Hose Tail fitting and another 1/2" adapter screwed on, seems to keep the pipe end below the waterline.

Size 37/41mm

The centre bit cut with a craft knife was a perfect fit for the pipe.

For the weight I just used a 1/2" BSP Hose Tail fitting and another 1/2" adapter screwed on, seems to keep the pipe end below the waterline.
Lovely thanks CAB

Curtain tiebacks

The curtains are quite thick and have a blackout lining. When not in use, they are held back by faux leather tiebacks fastened with hook and loop fastener. (That's velcro in old money!)

The hook and loop really isn't up to the job, it is only a few cm wide, and started pulling apart after only a year. At nearly two years in, it sticks but comes apart at the slightest provocation.

The solution:

PRYM snap fasteners. Two fixed through the hook and loop and vinyl, now it's nice and secure.

DSC_4190.JPG

Mine have snap fasteners which have to advantage that you can snap them all together into a long chain when you take them off. Less chance of losing one and easier to find!

The Good, the Bad, and now the Odd

Well, it's been 7 weeks since we got our van. We have done as much as possible to use it fully; been out for full days (breakfast-lunch-dinner) and camped on the driveway. What do we think?

In some ways it is very well designed and carefully built, in other ways there are things that seem a bit odd or sub-optimal.

Table storage

The table is stored behind the O/S rear seat. It is a complete pain to get out - ridiculously difficult. It might be easier in the models with a fixed side sofa, but with the forward-facing seat it is not easy at all.

Fortunately there is space between the toilet compartment and the rear door. A couple of brackets to keep it in place, and there you go. Easy to store and retrieve even with doors closed.

View attachment 75315

Water

As I wrote above, the internal water storage is a 23l Kampa container, kept at the bottom of the kitchen cupboard. There is a hose that sits in it that feeds the pump, also in the bottom of the cupboard.

The two issues with it:
  • The hose curls up, and you can't get the last of the water / have to drag out the container and hold the hose end down.
  • If it is full or near-full, the water sloshes out of the top of the container when driving.
The solution:

View attachment 75308

• Brass hose tail and fitting to weight down the hose;
  • Rubber bung to hold the hose in the aperture and prevent spillage from sloshing water.
But really, I shouldn't need to be doing this; I wonder what all the other buyers less handy or more accepting do about it - do they just live with it?

Drawer

None of the reviews I saw mentioned this; the drawer sits above the fridge and gets very warm. Seriously warm. You cannot store food in there, any liquid or paste (creams, toiletries etc); medicines, anything that might be affected by heat.

There is also a gap:

View attachment 75310

The back and sides of the drawer are only half-height. The fridge, with all of its wiring and gas ignition etc., are visible, and anything above the level of the back could easily slide down onto the top of the fridge while driving, or if you shut the drawer too violently.

So, unaccustomed as I am to carpentry, I got hold of some uPVC which was the right height (actually too tall, but easy to cut down) and fashioned a back for the drawer. Stuck in place with some double-sided stuff, it seems to be doing the trick, the drawer can now be fully loaded (with heat-resistant items !!).

View attachment 75311

View attachment 75312

Again, how many other owners have had issues with this?

Behind the sink/hob

View attachment 75309

There is a gap between the kitchen unit and the rear N/S window; mostly harmless except that it is not completely filled, there is a narrow slit which leads down between the unit and the side wall, so not suitable for anything thin. Our super insulated stainless steel mugs fit nicely there, along with kitchen roll, handwash, and washing up liquid.

Alarms

Pain in the neck (or shoulder actually).

View attachment 75313

The rear roof end has the smoke and CO2 alarms fixed to it. Right where your shoulder goes when you want to use the sink. And yes, both have prominent 'test' buttons.

We considered moving them along to above the loo, but then your head would be pressing on them as you sat and contemplated, so we have left them where they are, and just take them off and put them on the ledge whenever we park up and use the back of the van.
Taken your advice about moving the table to the back of the van and the bung for the water tank. Very pleased! Great ideas, thanks a lot!

• Love
I seem to remember people mentioning being bothered by the touch LEDs giving off a blue light even when switched off. We were, too, because they are really quite bright during the night. So here’s our rather ingenious solution taken straight from my drinks cabinet. No, not „get so drunk that you won’t notice them“ .

Little metal Ramazotti coasters fitted with little bits of Velcro cover up the lights perfectly. Not sure whether you can still get them anywhere though.

541B0CF4-49D3-414D-9839-FC698C5A97B8.jpeg

FE0AECAF-65CF-4381-9279-94F1BD0C66D2.jpeg

0C4B6075-9272-4F32-80B1-F144F3BE58AA.jpeg

Will do.

Realise this was a while back, but yes - I didn't need the weighted end. Just the bung which CAB suggested!

So, its time to say bye to this group.........(though will probably remain a lurker on t6 forum due to the wealth of advice!)

We've traded in the Vivante for something bigger. We eventually came to the conclusion that it just wasn't right for us! Not enough room for any kit - adding a dog into the equation didn't help either. Thanks to CAB and others for the help and chat :)

I'll be putting a few T6 related bits (spare steel wheels x2, rear Kirivans barn awning, pedal lock etc up for sale shortly).

I have a spare rear bumper protector with the Lesiuredrive logo on it going if any wants it (free!) Would need to collect from Bideford.

So, its time to say bye to this group.........(though will probably remain a lurker on t6 forum due to the wealth of advice!)

We've traded in the Vivante for something bigger. We eventually came to the conclusion that it just wasn't right for us! Not enough room for any kit - adding a dog into the equation didn't help either. Thanks to CAB and others for the help and chat :)

I'll be putting a few T6 related bits (spare steel wheels x2, rear Kirivans barn awning, pedal lock etc up for sale shortly).

I have a spare rear bumper protector with the Lesiuredrive logo on it going if any wants it (free!) Would need to collect from Bideford.

Glad I was able to help, and that you got some decent usage from it!

Must admit I would want more room if we had kids or a dog with us, either that or would need an outdoor awning room, but of course not so much fun in winter.

Good luck with the new van, what have you gone for? Did you part-ex or sell privately?

Conclusion

All of the above might sound a bit negative, but really I just wanted to point out all of the practicalities and potential issues for anyone who might be looking at this type of layout, and the Vivante in particular.

In reality, we are very happy with it. Yes it has drawbacks in comparison to a standard layout, the main ones being storage and the awkwardness of the bed setup, but we are very happy with it overall.

I'm not sure it would suit a family, you may be better off with a standard layout. We like the seats being close together, we can sit diagonally to each other (one on the passenger swivel, and one on the sofa) and each put our feet up. We like the separation of seating and kitchen areas, allows me (or Mrs CAB!) to sit and relax while the other potters around.

It isn't very blingy; we didn't buy direct, but I gather Leisuredrive are not geared up for custom bling / lights / chrome / custom leather / funky coloured kitchens. No idea if you could get them to do lowered suspension, but I suspect not.

Many will not like the Leisuredrive front seats; they are necessary to make up the beds, but I imagine they are not as comfortable or customisable as standard.

We like the side-elevating roof, full height for the full length and very airy once up. Again, it's not stealth!

Now that we have bought and lived with it for a while, I have looked back at the other rear-kitchen layout vans, and most have the same problems; in fact most of them seem to have even more issues with storage then this one. Most of them will have easier beds though, with the RIB seats that fold out and can slide together.

Anyway, it's our van and we love it! Happy to answer questions or expand further on anything I have raised. I hope someone will find this review useful.
Just bought a Vivante high top pick up at the end of the month, so a great report/ review I can use
we currently have a VW Autosleeper Trident but want the bed set up, a high top and fixed toilet
thanks for posting, just joined this forum

I would like to know how wide the beds are and whether you can get a good nights sleep on their single bed

Just bought a Vivante high top pick up at the end of the month, so a great report/ review I can use
we currently have a VW Autosleeper Trident but want the bed set up, a high top and fixed toilet
thanks for posting, just joined this forum
Hi @4 Bikeman ,welcome to the forum!

Glad you found it useful, post some pics when you pick it up!

I would like to know how wide the beds are and whether you can get a good nights sleep on their single bed
Hi @Hobbis , welcome to the forum!

The single beds are about 50cm wide at the top. With the way they are made, with the front seats laying flat, there is a natural dip in the middle of the seat, where your legs are, so neither of us have come close to falling off.

For us, they need a topper, I don't think I would be comfortable with just a sleeping bag, but then we are now both 50+ so need a bit more comfort. We use Duvalays, currently on the 5cm foam. We certainly sleep well. Hope that helps!

It may be a Covid thing, not cleaning before a customer collects, but easy enough to sweep through!

We started with a folding step, which is fine for climbing in but felt unstable stepping out.

We now have a proper steel caravan step, look for Royal or Maypole, feels much more secure both going up and coming down out of the van, it sits behind the passenger seat when travelling.
Hi @4 Bikeman ,welcome to the forum!

Glad you found it useful, post some pics when you pick it up!
Thanks CAB looking forward to being part of Team Leisure drive

Hi @Hobbis , welcome to the forum!

The single beds are about 50cm wide at the top. With the way they are made, with the front seats laying flat, there is a natural dip in the middle of the seat, where your legs are, so neither of us have come close to falling off.

For us, they need a topper, I don't think I would be comfortable with just a sleeping bag, but then we are now both 50+ so need a bit more comfort. We use Duvalays, currently on the 5cm foam. We certainly sleep well. Hope that helps!
I would like to
Post a Wanted but I don’t know how ! I’m looking for a low mileage Leisuredrive/ Devon or Bilbo hotpot with fixed loo

Back