Leisure Battery Advice for Off-Grid use

MikeyBeeT6

Hi all,

I've been reading through many leisure battery threads and i'm not quite getting the answer i'm looking for.

A lot of the threads revolve around what seems to be converted campers or those who need significant power 'off grid'.

I've got a T6 Kombi with seats only and an awning. When we go camping we typically make sure we have somewhere that has electric hook-up for our compressor fridge, electric hot plate and phone chargers. That's about all we need that I can recall. We're thinking of going gas for cooking (but possibly electric induction if anybody has any comments on these options) so that could even negate the necessity for that element.

I'm looking at going to and camping at festivals which probably won't provide any hook-up for campervans, so I've been looking into a leisure battery to tide us over for a couple of days for the fridge, phone charging and maybe cooking.

With my lack of detailed knowledge, I don't want to go to a company and be lured into purchasing something I don't necessarily need, but I also want something that works correctly and is worth paying for. I hope you can see my predicament.

If anybody can advise what I should be looking for or asking for to suit my needs it would be much appreciated!

People like photos:
IMG_9498.JPG
IMG_9752.JPG

I would stick with gas for cooking as electric will hammer a leisure battery.

I run my fridge, lights and a few usb chargers from a single 110ah leisure battery and that will last a weekend if the fridge is set low

I also added a single 100w solar panel and that allows the fridge to run 24/7 over summer without draining the leisure battery

I do exactly as the above. Same capacity battery and solar panel.

Pete

Take a look at the Mobile power back offering aswell.

We take them camping and use as you suggested.

Thanks for the options, I have a good steer to get moving with now, thanks! Any ballpark idea of cost I can expect for an install of that sort? i.e 100ah battery and 100w solar.

I hadn't even considered mobile power packs, which is interesting as it means it's not confined to within the van and I can charge it as and when required.

I'll get looking into gas cooking options too!

Back