LED Headlight retrofit - is it possible?

You need to run wires from the headlights back to the BCM to make them work, LED headlights use more cores than the standard ones so this is required
Once they are connected up a few changes are required with VCDS to get them fully functioning

Hi need to know what I need to fit factory led headlights over and above the head light units. cheers jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Does anyone know who might be able to programme lights? I’ve purchased these complete lights with modules and ballasts.

If you click on the map for your location, those marked with a yellow marker are vcds members willing to help. Then make contact with that member.
Alternatively say where you are located and ask the question.

If you click on the map for your location, those marked with a yellow marker are vcds members willing to help. Then make contact with that member.
Alternatively say where you are located and ask the question.
I cant help with this, but I do have vcds if someone want to add the yellow tag to my avatar.

Hi
Does anyone know who might be able to programme lights? I’ve purchased these complete lights with modules and ballasts.
You do realise you can’t just swap lights and code them in the wiring has to have altered

You do realise you can’t just swap lights and code them in the wiring has to have altered

ok thanks
And what sort of alteration would require?
I’m not looking to install sensors for self levelling etc
So long lights work that’s all I’m after

The headlights have different connectors on them and use more wires so you need to run a couple cables back to the BCM in the dash and connect them

Morning.
Looking for advice. I have a 68 plate Kombi T6 and I’m wanting to upgrade my headlights(candles) I have seen these lights for a reasonable price on eBay and was wondering what else I would need to buy so they work without dash lights etc. Thanks Graham
90449530-F538-410A-A694-D19EEF6050FA.pngBA5935BB-281B-4176-9505-324267E0DF33.png

Hi Graham,

Be careful which headlights you buy, the part number in that picture (035A) is for a left hand drive vehicle and is not suitable for your van in this country. You’ll see that on the sticker - LHD.

Have a read through this thread, it contains loads of useful information, but gets most interesting from about page 9 onwards.

You'll need some VCDS coding done as well so that you can get them working.

I'm doing this upgrade myself, I have purchase everything I need (just waiting for the NS headlight to arrive to replace one that arrived damaged) and I can send you a list of all that is required if that helps, but it's all information that I got from the thread I linked above.

Hi Graham,

Be careful which headlights you buy, the part number in that picture (035A) is for a left hand drive vehicle and is not suitable for your van in this country. You’ll see that on the sticker - LHD.

Have a read through this thread, it contains loads of useful information, but gets most interesting from about page 14 onwards.

You'll need some VCDS coding done as well so that you can get them working.

I'm doing this upgrade myself, I have purchase everything I need (just waiting for the NS headlight to arrive to replace one that arrived damaged) and I can send you a list of all that is required if that helps, but it's all information that I got from the thread I linked above.

Thanks Chris.
So going on everything listed how much am I expecting to pay all in-roughly?
The lights make such a difference to the overall look on van, an upgrade that’s a must for me

All in I've paid £1460, which is all genuine VW parts bought second hand from eBay, but a brand new plug and play wiring loom from Pauly on this forum. The bill is ultimately less than that, because I am selling my current headlights, which themselves are an upgrade over standard ones, for £300 to another forum member. My bill is therefore £1160. That includes leveling sensors etc so that they self level just like they would if the were fitted at the factory.

Is it the performance of the lights you are mostly interested in, or the way they look on the van? For less money, roughly half my total cost, you can buy aftermarket lights that look very good and fit them with quality bulbs, or even HID bulbs to get far superior light output compared to your standard headlights.

Here's a link to a similar thread that gives a few options. About halfway down you'll find my summary of the options, which is based on research on this forum and elsewhere. There's loads of useful info in the threads I've linked to in that post, but some are VERY long and take some reading!

Tbh it’s both the look and performance I’m looking for. I have vw Tiguan mk2 and light system on my car is fantastic. Going from this to my van is night and day for brightness. Plus the look just sets off van overall look.
The lights I seen on eBay were £860(pair) alone so looking at your price you’ve done well to collect everything for that price.
Did you search for headlights using part number or ‘genuine T6 led headlights’
I’ll try breakers and local merchants in Glasgow area too see if I can come across any. £1500 is what I
Willing to go to all in for all. Fingers crossed

I just kept looking at eBay every day for about 3 weeks or so and found the right ones in the end. I tried part numbers and also various descriptions, in the end it was "T6 LED headlight" that I settled on. I was lucky to find both headlamp units with both power modules still installed. I'm not sure, but it seems some of the sellers don't know that power modules are a separate part, or perhaps they do and just can't be bothered to sell separately. I'll PM you with the part numbers and prices I paid etc. You could do it cheaper than the money I've paid if you do the loom yourself, but I have zero knowledge of vehicle wiring so it made sense to pay a little extra for that, it'll make the whole install much quicker and easier.

Back