Keaney

VIP Member
T6 Guru
hoping someone can help, my vans on air and at a low cruising height if I’m stuck in traffic and pull forward it flicks the headlights up and pretty much flashes the car in front.

Also found driving around it’s going up and down all the time.

Found quite a bit information about adjusting them and have VCDS Hex net to help.

Has anyone done this and help guide what needs to be done. Guessing use vcds then manually adjust and store new settings?

Last time I looked at the manual the headlights are adjusted by screws. Self levelling just self levels.

But, the T6 doesn’t come with xenons, do you have Leds?

Like @Loz says . . . .

LEDs . . ? xenons were on the T5.1 . . . . ?

either way if you have the self leveling lights then there is a ride-height-sensor on the drivers side of the van on the lower suspension wishbones, one front , one rear..

they are used to keep the xenon's / LEDs pointing straight/level say if you have a heavy load in the rear . . . . . . or say going up/over a hill crest.

you can access the auto level module via VCDS and adjust the threshold for the tilt angle etc etc . . . . . . or just disable to auto leveling completely.

you can set a manual adjustment on the light unit its self. up/down and left/right via the plastic adjusters.

id imagine you air ride setup is screwing the self leveling setting?

id try adjusting the threshold levels to dull down the response . . . . . . . . or try disabling it for a while and go for a manual setup.

Ok . . . . VCDS

so its Module 55 - Headlight Range . . .

20180914_091509.jpg

you may be able to disable the auto leveling with this adaption . .

20180914_091637.jpg

The Jounce travel is the level sensors . . . . .

20180914_091911.jpg

If you have a look in the adaptions . . . . .

20180914_092101.jpg

Im not 100% sure or tried it, but i think the "PWM to level scaling factor front/rear" might be the plkace to dull down the amount of travel.

your have to play with it and see.

20180914_092211.jpg

20180914_092226.jpg

let us know how you get on?

im sure this will be an issue with anyone that has AirRide and AutoLevel lights dure to the drastic ride height levels..

Another option would be to do a "Basic headlamp setting" at a different ride height and see if that calms it down a bit.

i havent tested any of the above as i dont have AirRide. . . . so make sure you take pictures of all your original setting so you can got back to standard if needs be.

hope that helps?

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Another possible option would be to:

disconnect the sensor actuator arms from the lower suspension points (there on ball joints)

the two level sensors are here, and here . . . the green ones.

that would disable the auto leveling too. . . .

level (1).jpg

level (2).jpg

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Another resource for you here >>>

its for a Passat . . . . . but basically the same for a T6 - adjusting and basic setting.

Its also possible that the level sensor is not attached and bouncing up and down?

Quick update, managed to give this a go and looked like the rear needed a bit tweaking based on the original values. The security code was required to do it which is 20103

So far looks like it’s sorted it but need a proper drive tonight. I changed it from 5 to 7 to try first

C674C6DC-CE0B-4739-838E-E78EE95A47A4.jpeg

5179974A-D125-4ADE-8CE1-91BE80921ED3.jpeg

F839CEC0-A827-4B31-B9B2-61EC728E0FCC.jpeg

23676831-145A-4B55-8A61-1BF4C098D394.png

62731D69-0734-4A97-8E5A-D30FD2106A07.jpeg

As you have lowered the van may be worth recalibrating the level sensors
We do this when installing new headlights to setup the system and all you are basically doing is telling the van when it is flat/level, all you have to do is reset all adaptions followed by basic settings and if successful once complete the lights will dive down then level out (same as when you key on the ignition) and this is your base level setting, I always do this on an mot test bay which I know is flat and use the beam testers to tweak the headlights for optimum/correct output (which they always are out of the box anyway)

As you have lowered the van may be worth recalibrating the level sensors
We do this when installing new headlights to setup the system and all you are basically doing is telling the van when it is flat/level, all you have to do is reset all adaptions followed by basic settings and if successful once complete the lights will dive down then level out (same as when you key on the ignition) and this is your base level setting, I always do this on an mot test bay which I know is flat and use the beam testers to tweak the headlights for optimum/correct output (which they always are out of the box anyway)
Yeah know what you mean, it’s not the basic level that was the issue... I seemed to be on the boundary of where a little drop on the rear such as applying the accelerator would make the system re level. Will try this to see how it goes first but will be getting it checked at a mot place now that I run it a little lower

Just wondering if telling the van it’s level in the new lowered position will affect the reaction of the system to suspension input ??
Think I would do this before adjusting the rest too much or you could be tweaking it from an out of sku base setting ??

@Keaney did you ever sort this..? I’ve got the exact same problem. Had to unplug one sensor and tape it up. Not ideal but it works.

why when I ran SoLow’s did I not get this problem? Why is air any different??

cheers

@Keaney did you ever sort this..? I’ve got the exact same problem. Had to unplug one sensor and tape it up. Not ideal but it works.

why when I ran SoLow’s did I not get this problem? Why is air any different??

cheers
Got the garage to sort it when I had it on 1, so when I ride on 2 it's fine

When you say 1.. is that accuair? Is that what I’d call air out or preset low?

Do you know what they did? VCDS settings or re calibrated at you 1 setting?

sorry mate to be a pain it’s just I’ve had it tweaked again today.. although now not like it’s in a fish bowl floating around it’s not pointing into people’stop floor windows:cry:

When you say 1.. is that accuair? Is that what I’d call air out or preset low?

Do you know what they did? VCDS settings or re calibrated at you 1 setting?

sorry mate to be a pain it’s just I’ve had it tweaked again today.. although now not like it’s in a fish bowl floating around it’s not pointing into people’stop floor windows:cry:
1 is just my low mode, previously had it set at 2 which is speed bump mode haha

not sure to be honest think they adjusted it manually then reset level?

Ok soooooo...

When they adjusted the settings yesterday I took it out for a drive last night and like I said the lights were to high but the adjustment to calm them down had worked. Basically now they aren’t floating around when you accelerate and brake. They were still to high.
this morning I went out and got a screwdriver in those slots above the lights and turned them Down to the bottom if anything they are a little to low now but that’s fine they just need a tweak back up slightly. The auto levelling is working even at the low setting. Cheers @Keaney for the help..again!:thumbsup:

Back