Maintenance manual:

IMG_4600.jpeg

IMG_4926.jpeg
IMG_4927.jpeg

European type - check on dipped beam
European type lamps have one of the following:

• an asymmetric dipped beam pattern with
    • a horizontal cut-off on the right
    • a wedge of light above the horizontal towards the left, known as the ‘kick up’
  • lens may have European approval mark
For European type lamp to pass, you must make sure that:
  • beam image ‘kick up’ is visible on the screen, unless it has been masked or it has a flat top beam pattern
  • for headlamps with centres at 850mm or less from the ground, the beam image horizontal cut-off is between the 0.5% and 2.75% horizontal lines
  • for headlamps with centres more than 850mm from the ground, the beam image horizontal cut-off is between the 1.25% and 2.75% horizontal lines
  • white light does not show in the zone formed by the 0% vertical and 0.5% horizontal line
IMG_4603.png

Source:
Gov.uk website.

What do I do if I don't have a headlamp beam checker?

You can always take your vehicle to a garage that has calibrated headlamp aim equipment or to a VOSA test station for a voluntary check of the headlamp aim. If this is not practical, there are a couple of straightforward checks that can be undertaken which may help you.

The checks below rely on the surface the vehicle is standing on being flat and level.

Either

a) Drive the vehicle to within approx. 600mm (24") of a wall, and with the headlamps on dipped beam:
  • Do both headlamps aim at the same height?
  • Do both headlamps go up and down together?
  • Do both headlamps dip to the left?

OR

b) Hold a black board approx. 600mm (24") in front of one headlamp, and with the headlamps on dipped beam:
  • Mark the beam height.
  • Move the board in front of the other headlamp and compare the image.

Reverse 8 metres back in a straight line and re-check. Providing the beam doesn’t rise or fall, your headlights should be aligned properly.
Source

As you have lowered the van may be worth recalibrating the level sensors
We do this when installing new headlights to setup the system and all you are basically doing is telling the van when it is flat/level, all you have to do is reset all adaptions followed by basic settings and if successful once complete the lights will dive down then level out (same as when you key on the ignition) and this is your base level setting, I always do this on an mot test bay which I know is flat and use the beam testers to tweak the headlights for optimum/correct output (which they always are out of the box anyway)
@Pauly can you confirm that ODIS isn't required after resetting all adaptations?

IMG20240321192436.jpg

VCDS is capable of basic settings on that module so no requirement for odis

Back