leaving a tailgate open in the rain

benp1

T6 Guru
I use my tailgate as an impromptu awning all the time. It’s the best features of the tailgate

Has anyone found there to be any issues with water sitting in the number plate recess with the tailgate open in the rain? Apart from standing to the side when closing it to avoid getting soaked, I haven’t noticed any, just wondering if there’s a risk of water running into the number plate lights when it’s pooled or similar

I’ve never let mine fill completely…. but….

Worth checking that the number plate is using the factory rivnuts, and that no-one has drilled any extra holes.

I do that all the time (hence the avatar) but I hadn't considered that concern, may have to think about that...

Not sure it would be worth MrsRT running up another ripstop+magnets cover as I suspect water would just pool in it anyway.

The number plate lights are also a risk as you say.

I also popped the little plastic plugs out from the bottom edge of the tailgate too. Any water can therefore drain out of the panel when it’s closed. Cavity waxed the tailgate while I was in there too.

Last edited:
Slight different angle to this here but the problem i had with the tailgate up in the rain was a damn annoying run off/drip that sent water into the edge of the tailgate threshold strip on the floor and had water getting in under the floor which never dries, worth checking your not getting any build up there as more than a few drips and it starts to move around underneath

Another very good thought as with the rear kitchen I do get some drips from the water carrier in that area.

Apologies for the mild thread hijack @benp1 but thanks everyone else for doing what the forum does best and telling you the things you hadn't thought of that only come from experience :thumbsup:

Definitely something I need to check out. Most of the time my number plate lights are fine but I have noticed a few times, when closing the tailgate, the lights are dim. Maybe, as other have said, time for me to have the number plate removed and checked to ensure it is water tight.
Thanks for the reminder

Thanks all. I'm going to check my tailgate for the little rubber bungs.

To be honest I'm mildly surprised this hasn't come up before. If not on a T6 then maybe a T4 or T5?

The number plate lights are also a risk as you say.

I also popped the little plastic plugs out from the bottom edge of the tailgate too. Any water can therefore drain out of the panel when it’s closed. Cavity waxed the tailgate while I was in there too.
Haha. Just found a bag of the little plugs. No idea why I’ve kept them!

IMG_3892.jpeg

When I have my tailgate open in the rain the water gets in the van on either side of the tailgate let alone the reg‘ plate light.

When I have my tailgate open in the rain the water gets in the van on either side of the tailgate let alone the reg‘ plate light.
20230508_211350.JPG

Agreed, but I have a fix for that :thumbsup:

(Please excuse the slightly too short roof strip due to a... miscommunication... of measurements between myself and MrsRT the seamstress. MarkII will be better)

Back