Leak in the rear quarter/frame

MrG

VCDS User
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Well having just typed the message out the phone decided nope, you're doing it again

Anyway, I have done a load of digging and have not found anything similar. I have found I probably also have a leaky brake light though

So the issue is pre existing to my ownership and was evident with some minor paint bubbling and I had noticed while getting things ready for carpeting (before fitting the pop top) that there was a very small drip appeared after lots of rain somewhere between the outer skin and inner skin. Sadly there seems to be another skin in the middle. Search as I may I can't find the leak!
First thought it might be the tailgate hinge, then the wiring boot. Bone dry!
Found a thread suggesting the tailgate seal and thought I was on a winner as there was a little pooling at the top, thought it might be seeping under the friction fit and getting in that way. Cleaned it all up and reassembled, checked yesterday with all the rain and the drip was still there. Pulled the seal off and... Bone dry!

Any ideas will be really well received, would like to get it sorted before I start the carpet lining.
Much beer will be provided to the winner!

Areas of most significance circled. I think the 2 riv nut holes may be as a result of water tracking when it was parked on a hill or significant condensation. I haven't seen any trace of water around these since I've owned it.

1000018446.jpg

20240507_212657.jpg

Last edited:
Have you checked the rubber bungs in the rain gully behind the doors at the top?

Also the roof bolts are prone to leaking?

My first thoughts would be look around the Hinge base just above the leak and also the seam around that area. You could test by getting someone to run a hose in localised areas whilst you are say inside.

Thanks for the replies so far, all ideas welcomed.

Have you checked the rubber bungs in the rain gully behind the doors at the top?

Also the roof bolts are prone to leaking?
Dell, when you say the bungs in the rain gully behind the tailgate, there isn't any? The rubber for the cables, have checked round that as best i can (by eye and with a borascope) and its bone dry, much the same as round the hinge.

Prior to the Pop top fitment, i had roof rail prep and the fitting at the very rear of the van in the gutter (that isn't under the pop top) has had a blob of sealant put in the hole. Being that this was an issue prior to the pop top (and the gutter is dry apart from this one fitting that has been sealed again since by the poptop fitters), this is my next place to investigate. The challenge is, it seems the only way to check this seems to be attack it from the top (no access or visibility inside the van)?
1715153411621.png

My first thoughts would be look around the Hinge base just above the leak and also the seam around that area. You could test by getting someone to run a hose in localised areas whilst you are say inside.
Any tips on spotting if a seal has failed being that being able to visually access the outer skin is virtually impossible? The only sealed seam I can see is also in the area circled above? Sadly sitting there with the hose pipe doesnt have any results, it only appears after its been raining for a significant period hence. I've been looking for the source of this for a while now but neeeed to find it as its holding up my build (which my bank account was pleased with but summer is approaching!).

Roof rail mounting holes are always a sure bet for water ingress
All apart from the one at the very back (pictured above) are kept dry by the poptop. This one fitting is next on the hit list but I believe its slightly different to the standard pre-drilled fixing for roof rails? Any tips on removing it, dont really want to lather everything in sealant for the sake of it.

You could try grease around the bolt to temporarily seal water out, though you'd have to clean it off again before sealing it up if it proves to be the cause.

When we try to do leak test we start at the closest place then move out from the area. You can see fatigue if sealer has failed in the way of cracking. If it's taking its time to dribble down do a section and leave it a couple of hours. Also bog paper shoved in any crevice with abit hanging out is a good point of direction.

You could try grease around the bolt to temporarily seal water out, though you'd have to clean it off again before sealing it up if it proves to be the cause.
There is no bolt, just looks like a plastic push fit with a blob of sealant over the top. Ill have a look with the trim tools later.

When we try to do leak test we start at the closest place then move out from the area. You can see fatigue if sealer has failed in the way of cracking. If it's taking its time to dribble down do a section and leave it a couple of hours. Also bog paper shoved in any crevice with abit hanging out is a good point of direction.
Yes, I tried with blue roll (easier to spot than on white kitchen roll), even tried 'misting' the area with talc but am only able to see the net result of where its coming out inside the van. None of the paint on the panel bonding has cracked so If its not the fixing up top I think I'm going to have to open up one of the holes in the roof beam / pillar to get the scope in there.

I see you are tailgate.

So as you say only the wire loom rubber.

On barn doors the hinges are in the sides, so have rubber bungs up top.

It was the top bungs I was referring too.

Reactions: MrG
I see you have a wind out canopy.
My van leaked same place after I fitted my canopy.
I had to remove the bolts from the rivnuts and put sealant in the bolt holes and around rivnuts. They were all fitted correctly but still let in water and that’s where it came out.

I see you have a wind out canopy.
My van leaked same place after I fitted my canopy.
I had to remove the bolts from the rivnuts and put sealant in the bolt holes and around rivnuts. They were all fitted correctly but still let in water and that’s where it came out.
Deffo worth a thought but the leak was there long before I fitted the awning and if it leaks from where drilled holes and fitted it..... Ill give up now:slow rofl:

Last edited:
A cheap borescope might be worth a try to get a look at it from the inside
Already got one but cant get in-between the outer and middle skin on the top "bar" or between the inner and outer skin on the rear pillar without making a couple of holes a bit bigger. #lastresort

Well if I didn't have a winner I certainly do now #facepalm (completely destroyed the fixings while trying to remove it then dropped the whole thing, the screw I was using to try fish it out with and all! Looking forward to the future rattle I will never be able to find
1000019054.jpg

On a positive note though, a couple of drips through the hole and it appears exactly where it's been dripping inside the van. So a bit of heavy duty tape to test.

In the meanwhile, suggestions on how to seal that up neatly are most welcome !

Looking forward to the future rattle I will never be able to find
This coincidental post on the other thread may offer some solace?

If it's any comfort the XC70 has one for this reason from when I replaced the indicator stalk, fumbled one of the 2 torx bolts I'd had out plenty of times before and it rather improbably bounced under the seat void; shining a torch under it sat there even more improbably stood on it's head under the seat bracket wobbling on the void as the bracket is formed in the inner skin. After holding my breath like Indiana Jones facing the Idol in the temple I made my move and just managed to knock it over into the void when I thought I had it...

• Haha
Reactions: MrG
Back