Lake District Suggestions

We stayed last week, a great location right on lakeside but is prone to flooding in wet weather. We're off to The Quiet Site Ullswater tomorrow for a VW weekend VW weekend with Live Music - The Quiet Site
View attachment 38428
View attachment 38427
The Quiet Site looks lovely - we walked past it on the way up "Little Mell Fell" - wouldn't want to attempt it in winter though - at Christmas the roads down at Ullswater level were totally clear but just going up a few hundred feet they were covered in ice - our van would not have got up there.

Nice one Sammy. Looks great.

Bugger, no idea how we missed that. I wonder if we could still pop up to say a quick hello...

Yeah, pop up and say hello, we'll be around from Friday 2pm till Sunday 11am we'll be out walking most of Saturday, I'll PM you my phone no. give me a ring (subject to having a signal)when you fancy popping up. The onsite Pub is open from 7pm if you fancy a beer and live music at 9pm

Yeah, pop up and say hello, we'll be around from Friday 2pm till Sunday 11am we'll be out walking most of Saturday, I'll PM you my phone no. give me a ring (subject to having a signal)when you fancy popping up. The onsite Pub is open from 7pm if you fancy a beer and live music at 9pm

Thanks Sammy. We may well just head over indeed. Will drop you a msg if we do. Would be tomorrow if we do mate

Paul

Planning to do a full days walking next weekend in the lakes but only want to stay one night, don't need a hookup but do want grass pitch as I've just ordered a tailgate awning, any suggestions?

Most places seem to want 2 nights booking which is a pain

Planning to do a full days walking next weekend in the lakes but only want to stay one night, don't need a hookup but do want grass pitch as I've just ordered a tailgate awning, any suggestions?

Most places seem to want 2 nights booking which is a pain
Where you walking?

Never stayed there mate but walked around there plenty :) will be a nice walk, not thought of stealth camping it? There’s loads of nooks and crannies around there for one night ;)

Never stayed there mate but walked around there plenty :) will be a nice walk, not thought of stealth camping it? There’s loads of nooks and crannies around there for one night ;)

It's the first trip out in the van so just want to get a grip of what's what - kipping on airbeds and nothing other than my trusty jetboil 2 for hot water etc

I do fancy stealth camping but keen to get used to stuff and work out what bed solution to go with - longer term I want to build a bunk bed for adults as a double with my walking partner not ideal :confused:

It's the first trip out in the van so just want to get a grip of what's what - kipping on airbeds and nothing other than my trusty jetboil 2 for hot water etc

I do fancy stealth camping but keen to get used to stuff and work out what bed solution to go with - longer term I want to build a bunk bed for adults as a double with my walking partner not ideal :confused:
Notice you from Manchester mate you coming to the northwest meet on Tuesday?

I could do! have you got the details, I've only had the van 9 days so it's a whole new world !

There's no initiation ceremony is there?

There is a stunning walk with swim pools not too far from this site, I intend staying here in a few weeks.

I'm local ish to Keswick and can recommend some nice places/ sights to see if people are visiting the area ;) Also Ravenglass/Boot/Eskdale

Kirkstone Pass Inn car park is an easy place to stay, just have to stay sober enough to find the van in the dark.
Man that Landlord can drink.

I'm on my way to Keswick this week for a few days, mainky mooching, sitting, drinking coffee, eating fish and chips generally slobbing around.

You'll get a nice coffee in Keswick up by the cinema the Square Orange Cafe.
Weve just spent a week up there, stayed at castlerigg farm. Plenty to do in keswick, great walks/pubs etc... we always go in square orange when were in keswick, also highly recommend "the crafty baa" massive selection of ales/beers etc..

I can recommend Chapel House Farm Campsite Stayed here loads of times, and perfect for your planned walk. £6 pppn so very cheap. Basic site but clean loos and shower. Have fun :thumbsup:
I’ve stayed here a couple of times too. Basic site but very well located for a number of the Lakes peaks inc ScaFell Pike. There’s a cracking pub that serves food just round the corner, The Langstrath Country Inn. Check if the campsite is open though, I looked at a trip there in Aug and they weren’t open due to Covid, neither was Stonethwaite Farm campsite which was other option - I went to Snowdonia instead ;)

The walk you posted doesn’t actually go to the summit of Great Gable, not sure if you looked at it closely or not and/or wanted to take in the summit. It is a nice summit and the views are awesome on a clear day, but the climb is steep. I can recommend a slight alteration to your route if you want to take in the summit. Rather than follow the pass all the way round the base of Great Gable, hang a left up through Windy Gap, then right onto the summit. From there you can descend over Kirk Fell and rejoin the original route again before it descends down to Black Sail Hut.

Enjoy!

Back