KW Variant 1 - anyone in Glos area with this?

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
As per the title, hoping that there is someone in the Glos area that has the KW Variant 1 suspension set up on their van and would be willing to let me be a passenger.
I just want to get a feel for how the set up suits the van.
Ideally I'm looking for someone with a T32.

I currently have the H&R set up from CRS and am looking at changing to the KW V1.

TIA!

Can I ask why you are looking to change the H&R's?

I can't live with the ride quality - this is a very personal viewpoint.
Soaks up the big hits well (better than B14s) but the overall ride quality is very unsettled.
Over the last few weeks I have been using the van an increasing amount. On my local Cotswolds roads I'm not finding it very comfortable - it's really quite 'bouncy'.
The handling is fab - it just seems that the suspension is not controlling the van's mass as I'd like it to.

I can't live with the ride quality - this is a very personal viewpoint.
Soaks up the big hits well (better than B14s) but the overall ride quality is very unsettled.
Over the last few weeks I have been using the van an increasing amount. On my local Cotswolds roads I'm not finding it very comfortable - it's really quite 'bouncy'.
The handling is fab - it just seems that the suspension is not controlling the van's mass as I'd like it to.
Which H&R setup do you have? The coilovers or the springs and Koni shocks?
If it’s the coilovers, have you tried adjusting the damping? If i recall correctly, they are set to the softest position.
Its probably a long shot but might save an expense

Which H&R setup do you have? The coilovers or the springs and Koni shocks?
If it’s the coilovers, have you tried adjusting the damping? If i recall correctly, they are set to the softest position.
Its probably a long shot but might save an expense
The dampers are not adjustable.
It's the H&R coilover kit that CRS sells.
Steve at CRS will look after me when I make the change - ideally I just want to experience the kit before I commit.

I am no where near you @YellowHound unfortunately but I I am going from B14's to KW v1 tomorrow all being well!
I will happily report back my thoughts and findings as its a 160 mile round trip!

I am no where near you @YellowHound unfortunately but I I am going from B14's to KW v1 tomorrow all being well!
I will happily report back my thoughts and findings as its a 160 mile round trip!
I'd certainly like to hear your thoughts.
Are you having the work done at CRS?
I'm pretty convinced that I am going to go with the KWs.

The dampers are not adjustable.
It's the H&R coilover kit that CRS sells.
Steve at CRS will look after me when I make the change - ideally I just want to experience the kit before I commit.
Pretty sure that kit has damping adjustment. I have the same one. Mine is certainly adjustable. Comes with the little Koni adjuster for the fronts as in the picture below

1620743957088.jpeg

The T32 H&R kit is definitely not damping adjustable. The T32 kit is different to the T28 and T30 kit.
The kwv1 is also not adjustable.

@YellowHound,I've the very same kit as you fitted at CRS,
And experienced an agree with you the same feeling with my van.
Be it the rears I’ve been really happy with,
I got back in touch with steve and to be fair to him Got me back in today and swapped out the fronts for the koni H&R dual tube shock in with the hub mod for t32,with the adjuster as in pic above.
It’s night and day difference for me now drives perfect with added comfort this may be worth trying

@YellowHound,I've the very same kit as you fitted at CRS,
And experienced an agree with you the same feeling with my van.
Be it the rears I’ve been really happy with,
I got back in touch with steve and to be fair to him Got me back in today and swapped out the fronts for the koni H&R dual tube shock in with the hub mod for t32,with the adjuster as in pic above.
It’s night and day difference for me now drives perfect with added comfort this may be worth trying
Very interesting Scott!
What did it cost you to change? - PM me if you'd rather.

Funnily enough have just been discussing with @ChrisR at the Van Cave this very thing today and he has suggested the KW Variant 1 to me on my T32.
Steve at CRS had previously suggested the H&R setup, its a minefield but I really want to change out my B14s now.

@YellowHound what kind of drop are you thinking of having?

Funnily enough have just been discussing with @ChrisR at the Van Cave this very thing today and he has suggested the KW Variant 1 to me on my T32.
Steve at CRS had previously suggested the H&R setup, its a minefield but I really want to change out my B14s now.

I'm not chasing a certain height - an even gap between tyre and arch would suit.
When I had the B14s I ran them at their maximum height.

KWv1 is a great upgrade

Back