KPH to MPH

Is it still possible to see kph still somewhere on the MFD once you’ve made this change. Would want mph 99% of the time but it would plus be good to have it when I do go away

Is it still possible to see kph still somewhere on the MFD once you’ve made this change. Would want mph 99% of the time but it would plus be good to have it when I do go away

You can go in to Settings and select Alt Speed Display which will pop the km/h display back up. Once your MFD has been updated to show the large MPH you can then toggle it on/off on the MFD without needing Carista or VCDS, perfect if you take your van abroad occasionally.

What I don't like about doing that is that you loose the external temperature display from it's more useful position. Seeing as the speedo has both MPH and KPH markings, there's no need for the digital KPH. It's only there in the first place because VW used their generic MFD from cars that don't have KPH on the speedo dial.

While we're on the subject, there is a (relatively) easy
way to convert km to miles in your head. (I'm now thinking
of distances when driving in Europe). Halve the km value
then add a 1/4. So 8km becomes 4 + 1 = 5miles.
A quarter of 8 is 2
Add 1/8?

What I don't like about doing that is that you loose the external temperature display from it's more useful position. Seeing as the speedo has both MPH and KPH markings, there's no need for the digital KPH. It's only there in the first place because VW used their generic MFD from cars that don't have KPH on the speedo dial.
My speedo only has MPH, I spend lots of time abroad so the digital Kmh display is a godsend.

Never tried that (the answer won't be exact), but surely
dividing in half (ok 3 times) is easier and gives an
exact answer.

You are in traffic - you see a speed limit - "80 km/hr" - What's that in M/hr ? - "80/2 = 40, add 1/4 (40/4 to 40) = 50 M/Hr".
Where's the problem?

Easiest way is divide by 10 multiply by 6 but once you’ve driven in Europe a few times you know the equivalents of each limit off by heart and you don’t need to convert

Easiest way is divide by 10 multiply by 6 but once you’ve driven in Europe a few times you know the equivalents of each limit off by heart and you don’t need to convert
Very true, I know the speed limits off by heart, I use the 1/3 rule for distances e.g. 300km is 200 mls

Has anyone changed the display to a large digital mph ?

Yes, loads of people.
Instructions in here if that's what you are asking Kph To Mph thread merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks . I did see it on iTunes, but I wasent sure weather you left it on Australian settings after completion.

Back