Kombi Seat Bracket Removal?

You don't need to fully drop the tank though. The harder ones are behind the exhaust/heat shield

Thanks! Presumably if you have an add blue filler neck that has to drop at the same time? Mine are both loose but just fighting each other to come down. There’s also two shielded pipes at the bottom of the add blue filler that are fairly tight. Do these also need removing or will it just squeeze past?

Mine's EU5, so no adblue. There is a sort of breather pipe too, that I didn't notice but it's a tight push fit - enough to hold an empty tank up. I'm not near my van, but from memory it attaches between the fuel and adblue.

Hmm ok. I’ve chucked the towel in for the evening (feeding time at the zoo) but will resume tomorrow. Thanks for the info though!

Just to update. Having just seen a fuel tank removal video I’m pretty certain the ad blue filler neck has to be removed to allow the fuel filler to pass it. The two hoses at the bottom of the ad blue tank need disconnecting and draining, if your ad blue level is high. If it’s low you will be lucky enough to not have to drain it.

When I fitted my diesel heater I managed to drop the tank by just lifting the Adblue neck off the threads. When I put the tank back I decided to remove the Adblue pipe completely which made getting the tank filler back much easier. My recommendation if wishing to drop the tank fully is to remove the Adblue filler completely as it’s very easy to do and saves the all the wrestling. That said you don’t have to drop the tank fully just to remove the seat brackets.

Last edited:
All done. Indeed the Ad blue filler did have to come out. For future reference just two quick release pipes. I was lucky enough that the level of ad blue was below the intake pipe so no mess. Also I’m not sure if this is a build revision on the MY17 Kombi’s but the brackets for the +2 seat behind the drivers side was the easiest to get to and not under the exhaust. Just remove some plastic by the sill and they are accessible.

Can I ask what people are using to cover the holes, I was going to get some rubber grommets and some all weather sealer but have only seen one comment about the subject.

thanks

Anyone local to Market Harborough who could undertake this for me. Or has anyone left them in when doing a camper conversion and put covers on?

Anyone local to Market Harborough who could undertake this for me. Or has anyone left them in when doing a camper conversion and put covers on?
Xtreme Van in MH did mine for me as I didnt want the hastle of dropping the tank. They were doing a diesel heater so I think dropping tank anyways. Good guys.

I would offer to lend a hand but working away. It’s not a terrible task to do, I did mine on my drive for my T6 conversion which has the added hassle of the add blue filler neck. Dropping the actual fuel tank is just a matter of bolts and supporting the tank to lower it down (which I did on a jack with a sheet of ply).

I am slowly doing the sound deadening in my 2018 Kombi, today I took out the rear seats ready to take up the rubber matting, the tie down fittings are easy to remove, am I right in thinking that the seat lock fittings have to be undone from underneath the van after removing the relevant protection panels from below. Also the plastic footwell covers appear to be just clipped in and need a good tug to remove. thanks in advance.

That’s correct, if you have a Search
you will find the method to partially lower the fuel tank to access some of the mounts, best done with a near empty tank to reduce the weight.
It’s an easy job made easier by having two people.

I am slowly doing the sound deadening in my 2018 Kombi, today I took out the rear seats ready to take up the rubber matting, the tie down fittings are easy to remove, am I right in thinking that the seat lock fittings have to be undone from underneath the van after removing the relevant protection panels from below. Also the plastic footwell covers appear to be just clipped in and need a good tug to remove. thanks in advance.
That’s correct, if you have a Search
you will find the method to partially lower the fuel tank to access some of the mounts, best done with a near empty tank to reduce the weight.
It’s an easy job made easier by having two people.
I’ve merged the several threads covering seat removal (I’m sure there are more..!) so see above and, like DXX said, have a search. YouTube can turn up some decent videos if you’ve got time to wade through the majority of poorly titled clips first.

Hi
I’m looking to remove the 2+1 rear seating etc from our van (getting van ready for a conversion) does having a 4 motion (2021) make it any more difficult to remove the brackets from underneath?
Also would having the van up on a garage ramp make the job a lot easier, just, the van is going in for a service in two weeks time, so could possibly ask to have the garage (independent) remove them,
cheers

Hi
I’m looking to remove the 2+1 rear seating etc from our van (getting van ready for a conversion) does having a 4 motion (2021) make it any more difficult to remove the brackets from underneath?
Also would having the van up on a garage ramp make the job a lot easier, just, the van is going in for a service in two weeks time, so could possibly ask to have the garage (independent) remove them,
cheers
Easier on a ramp in garage for sure. Diesel tank needs to be dropped.

The brackets can be removed without fully dropping the fuel tank, it’s covered in a previous thread.

Back