Kombi Seat Bracket Removal?

mark aris

VIP Member
Kombi Seat Bracket Removal. Don't fancy doing it myself, anyone in the Dorset (Poole) available to help?

also is it possible for them to be re-instated at a later date? if nec.

Is that an easy job? was thinking about leaving them in and covering them up but with the limited headroom as it is, thinking removing them is the best option,

Has anybody tried drilling the heads off the seat bracket bolts instead of dropping the fuel tank?

Don't fancy doing it myself, anyone in the Dorset (Poole) available to help?

also is it possible for them to be re-instated at a later date? if nec.
You could try giving Clough at Uberbus a call for advice. They are based in Poole (0330 0206 101).
Also in Poole you've got Wessex Conversions (01202 979513)

Tank removal is not hard all I did was put the van on axle stands at the front and the back wheels blocked up on wood, total lift was about 6 inches. Plastic and alloy shields are clips and screws so easy to remove. Tank is held with metal loops that are fixed each side of the tank, have the fuel level as low as you can. I removed the neck of the filler behind the flap, just screws. Then I lowered the tank by undoing the nuts, laying on your back you can support the weight of the tank and drop the tank onto some blocks or a couple of jacks. There is a fair bit of slack on the fuel lines which are quick release to remove. If you think you might be putting the seat brackets back in at some point it might be worth putting the bolts back in place to seal the holes.
Baz

Much easier than I was expecting with the fuel tank almost empty (low reserve).
On a T32 with standard 17” wheels and suspension I only needed to raise the rear wheels by 6” (breeze blocks), if you’re claustrophobic or a pie addict you might need to go higher.
Tie a thin rope to the cold exhaust and lead it clear of the van on the near side, it should be positioned midway (front to back) under the tank so that an assistant can take the weight of the tank with the rope.
Remove the screw and free up the filler neck to allow it to drop with the tank.
Slacken all 4 bolts by approx 3 turns on the 2 tank securing straps.
With the assistant taking the tanks load on the rope remove the 2 inner bolts on the 2 tank securing straps.
Allow the straps to drop and rotate clear of the tank, there is no need to remove the straps completely as this will make refitting much harder later.
The assistant can then gently lower the tank to the floor allowing access for removal of the seat brackets.
Re-installation is the reverse of removal. Don’t forget to remove the rope!

Hi,
Trying to remove the rear seats in my Kombi and it’s seems as if the front left bracket won’t let go when pulling up on the metal bar. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

Believe you need to drop the underbody shields/ fuel tank to get to the nuts under the chassis.

It's a b*gger off a job, did mine a few weeks back, I had the front of the van up on a set of ramps to get better access. Make sure your fuel tank near empty when you tackle it and an extra pair of hands to assist. Took us about 3 hours in total.

So I’ve got 2 of the 4 brackets out. By lowering the tanks on the threads. The remaining two sit directly above the exhaust I’ve removed the plastic along the sil and part of the heat shield but I can’t get to it without moving the exhaust and unhook brake cables. I’m wondering if to drill a hole in the heat sheiks! How easy is it to drop/remove exhaust?

I only needed to raise the rear wheels by 6” (breeze blocks)
I know this was posted almost two years ago but because it's a safety issue I can't ignore it, having just read it.
Please never use breeze blocks in any weight bearing role when working on a vehicle. They have a tendency to simply collapse without warning when under pressure.
Proper axle stands or ramps rated at the correct weight are the way to go.
I know there will be people who have used breeze blocks all their lives without incident, but they're like your 103 year old granny who smoked 40 capstan full strength every day and died in a parachuting accident, it doesn't mean it's a good idea!

Is removing the brackets from a three seat bench any easier. Still need to drop the tank etc, but they look more central and only four of them. I presume they stand proud of the floor and can't be left in?

Is removing the brackets from a three seat bench any easier. Still need to drop the tank etc, but they look more central and only four of them. I presume they stand proud of the floor and can't be left in?
If you drop the tank and lower the exhaust and remove the plastic covers (both sides) and heat trim you should get them out you may need disconect the hand brake cable underneath.

Ta. Was hoping that this "Mark the fuel tank has to be dropped to remove the two brackets next to the sliding door." for a 2+1 setup meant the three seat bench would be easier, as there are no brackets near the door. Will crawl under and have a look.

Back