Kombi seats out Rib seat in ?

Rib 130 Slider (200mm of horizontal movement) in our Shuttle. Bricks pattern. From Banwy Leisure with certified installation beam/support. Had three seater bench originally that the 130 Rib replaces. Also then removed second row 2+1 seats. The second row one seater from the nearside could be reinstated if required but we prefer the floorspace. Also, the VanGear fridge pod has a detachable table that you can use sat on the Rib when set up as a seat or bed.

IMG_7311.jpeg

IMG_7310.jpeg

IMG_7328.jpeg

IMG_7325.jpeg

IMG_7324.jpeg

Anyone got a RIB with a rear slide out kitchen pod style? Don't want to be cooking inside. Got a tailgate so got some level of protection from weather.

Rib 130 Slider (200mm of horizontal movement) in our Shuttle. Bricks pattern. From Banwy Leisure with certified installation beam/support. Had three seater bench originally that the 130 Rib replaces. Also then removed second row 2+1 seats. The second row one seater from the nearside could be reinstated if required but we prefer the floorspace. Also, the VanGear fridge pod has a detachable table that you can use sat on the Rib when set up as a seat or bed.

View attachment 221391

View attachment 221392

View attachment 221393

View attachment 221394
Thought I’d posted this yeaterday - sorry if I’ve done it twice but can’t find it

@JENXFIVE I see you have a shuttle - is that longer than a standard LWB? I love this setup - would the vangear fridge pod fit in a LWB with a full width rib bed in it’s bed position?

View attachment 221391

View attachment 221392

View attachment 221393

View attachment 221394

View attachment 221395
Note the topper in these pics … the ribs aren’t that comfortable without one

@JENXFIVE I see you have a shuttle - is that longer than a standard LWB? I love this setup - would the vangear fridge pod fit in a LWB with a full width rib bed in it’s bed position?
Hi @RhubardCrumble, the LWB Shuttle is no longer than any other LWB model. The Vangear fridge pod would fit in a LWB with a full width RIB bed in its bed position I’d suggest. I could check but I can’t imagine the dimensions of the full width are different from ours in terms of bed length when down (in bed setup). The difference in dimension is the width I’d suggest - ours being a 130 (slider) and full width is a 150. Banwy Leisure has drawings including dimensions if I remember correctly of the different beds. I only went with the 130 as we have the trim (side panels) in the Shuttle and although I know it would have been close (might have had to chop one if the panels) I knew the 130 was going to be enough width for us and was definitely going to fit without fouling any panels. If I had a Kombi or a panel van I would have definitely gone with a 150 though. In terms of the ‘slider’ model which allows 200mm of forward and backward movement, we rarely use it so probably wouldn’t get a slider if I was buying now knowing what I know. We’d intended to use the slider to get the bed closer to the table on the vangear pod but as the table can be moved along the rail it sits on, there’s not really a need to move the bed. It’s easier to move the table.

Hi @RhubardCrumble, the LWB Shuttle is no longer than any other LWB model. The Vangear fridge pod would fit in a LWB with a full width RIB bed in its bed position I’d suggest. I could check but I can’t imagine the dimensions of the full width are different from ours in terms of bed length when down (in bed setup). The difference in dimension is the width I’d suggest - ours being a 130 (slider) and full width is a 150. Banwy Leisure has drawings including dimensions if I remember correctly of the different beds. I only went with the 130 as we have the trim (side panels) in the Shuttle and although I know it would have been close (might have had to chop one if the panels) I knew the 130 was going to be enough width for us and was definitely going to fit without fouling any panels. If I had a Kombi or a panel van I would have definitely gone with a 150 though. In terms of the ‘slider’ model which allows 200mm of forward and backward movement, we rarely use it so probably wouldn’t get a slider if I was buying now knowing what I know. We’d intended to use the slider to get the bed closer to the table on the vangear pod but as the table can be moved along the rail it sits on, there’s not really a need to move the bed. It’s easier to move the table.
Thanks for such a thorough reply - I’ll check the Banwy website out - thanks for that. Are you pleased with the vangear fridgepod? Looks like there’s quite a bit of storage in there?
Really think might the right setup for us

Thanks for such a thorough reply - I’ll check the Banwy website out - thanks for that. Are you pleased with the vangear fridgepod? Looks like there’s quite a bit of storage in there?
Really think might the right setup for us
No worries on the reply, it’s good to share detail if it helps. I’ve just been on the Banwy site and to be honest the drawings have a load of dimensions but they don’t show the ‘bed down’ length unfortunately. On the Bodans web site there’s a bit of text that says “The 112cm and 120cm RIB bed comes in two lengths (standard) 1860mm and (extra long) 1940mm for the taller person.” I know this text doesn’t mention the 130 (ours) or the 150 (the one you’ve said you’ll be looking to buy) but I can’t imagine the 130 and 150 would be different lengths to the 112 and 120. Ours is a standard one I seem to remember so it would be 1860mm length I reckon. I’m 6’ and it’s big enough (6’ is ~1.83m (1828.8mm ).

In terms of the Vangear pod, it’s been a good buy. It’s like most things though, it depends what you want to use it for and how you use the van. I intentionally didn’t want a permanent side kitchen and wanted to prioritise the widest bed we could get. We originally wanted a good fridge and after realising an under bed draw fridge wasn’t going to be possible in our RIB set up we went with the Vangear. This has a vitrifigo 39litre (if I remember correct). The fridge we’ve used loads so definitely good for that. The next best thing is the detachable table which again we’ve used loads. The RIB bed in seats or bed position, the table works well. It then stows between the back of the drivers seat and the side of the pod. I’ve installed the pod on two ‘homemade’ brackets (8” lengths of uni strut) which bolt in the original seat bracket locations. The pod fixes in with bolts in zebedee nuts located in the uni strut channel. I’ve got photos somewhere I’ll try and dig out. It’s proper secure though and then with a small amount of work (unscrew and slide fridge out) the pod can be removed. Fridge is wired into a 200Ah lithium battery that’s located under nearside of RIB bed.

What we might reconsider if we bought Vangear pod again? We rarely now use the gas hob as we prefer an induction hob. It’s a one ‘ring’ induction hob that sits on the counter top or on the table from IKEA. We have an additional 2000Wh Aferiy power station that is proper sound (aside from RIB bed and solar panel the Aferiy is probably our best buy) and we use this for the induction hob as well as electric blankets.

Vangear Pod:
‘pros’ - the fridge and the small amount of storage (could be better storage as the curved ends are dead space. I can take photos to show you if needed). The table is really good as well. The position of the pod and its dimensions are almost perfect fit in terms of drivers seat position is not restricted for wife and me and the pod fits the RIB bed really well.
‘cons’ - (for us) don’t really use the gas hob now and the sink doesn’t get used as much as we imagined although when off grid (festivals mainly) the sink does get some use.

Overall, glad we bought it and definitely had value from it. Vangear (at our request / cost) also made me panels for front and back of RIB bed so it’s same material as the table for the pod.

Hope that helps?

No worries on the reply, it’s good to share detail if it helps. I’ve just been on the Banwy site and to be honest the drawings have a load of dimensions but they don’t show the ‘bed down’ length unfortunately. On the Bodans web site there’s a bit of text that says “The 112cm and 120cm RIB bed comes in two lengths (standard) 1860mm and (extra long) 1940mm for the taller person.” I know this text doesn’t mention the 130 (ours) or the 150 (the one you’ve said you’ll be looking to buy) but I can’t imagine the 130 and 150 would be different lengths to the 112 and 120. Ours is a standard one I seem to remember so it would be 1860mm length I reckon. I’m 6’ and it’s big enough (6’ is ~1.83m (1828.8mm ).

In terms of the Vangear pod, it’s been a good buy. It’s like most things though, it depends what you want to use it for and how you use the van. I intentionally didn’t want a permanent side kitchen and wanted to prioritise the widest bed we could get. We originally wanted a good fridge and after realising an under bed draw fridge wasn’t going to be possible in our RIB set up we went with the Vangear. This has a vitrifigo 39litre (if I remember correct). The fridge we’ve used loads so definitely good for that. The next best thing is the detachable table which again we’ve used loads. The RIB bed in seats or bed position, the table works well. It then stows between the back of the drivers seat and the side of the pod. I’ve installed the pod on two ‘homemade’ brackets (8” lengths of uni strut) which bolt in the original seat bracket locations. The pod fixes in with bolts in zebedee nuts located in the uni strut channel. I’ve got photos somewhere I’ll try and dig out. It’s proper secure though and then with a small amount of work (unscrew and slide fridge out) the pod can be removed. Fridge is wired into a 200Ah lithium battery that’s located under nearside of RIB bed.

What we might reconsider if we bought Vangear pod again? We rarely now use the gas hob as we prefer an induction hob. It’s a one ‘ring’ induction hob that sits on the counter top or on the table from IKEA. We have an additional 2000Wh Aferiy power station that is proper sound (aside from RIB bed and solar panel the Aferiy is probably our best buy) and we use this for the induction hob as well as electric blankets.

Vangear Pod:
‘pros’ - the fridge and the small amount of storage (could be better storage as the curved ends are dead space. I can take photos to show you if needed). The table is really good as well. The position of the pod and its dimensions are almost perfect fit in terms of drivers seat position is not restricted for wife and me and the pod fits the RIB bed really well.
‘cons’ - (for us) don’t really use the gas hob now and the sink doesn’t get used as much as we imagined although when off grid (festivals mainly) the sink does get some use.

Overall, glad we bought it and definitely had value from it. Vangear (at our request / cost) also made me panels for front and back of RIB bed so it’s same material as the table for the pod.

Hope that helps?
Sorry for the delayed reply - that all helps hugely thanks. I think we are likely to go for the fridgepod with no hob or sink if we go down this route but if you do have photos of the interior I'd be interested to see. No rush though - busy saving up for stage 2 of our conversion!

Back