So to re-cap..
To change the B/C pillars you need to change everything, apart from the belt its self.. bolts, holders, clips, trims, lining, and floor! To do it right...??.

What mental person(s) would undertake this crazy task..

Oh,and don't forget that once this has been done.. your C/D pillars side door, rear quarter don't match.. :whistle:

So to re-cap..
To change the B/C pillars you need to change everything, apart from the belt its self.. bolts, holders, clips, trims, lining, and floor! To do it right...??.

What mental person(s) would undertake this crazy task..

I know there are some crazy "persons" out there :whistle:

apologies, slightly off topic...anyone knows if soundproofing in velle and shuttle is the same as both passenger carriers? I finally serviced the van (@175000mile) @VW van centre but they didn't know or the person who knew wasn't there-anyway it was hassle for them to walk around and find the person who knew such meaningless detail.

apologies, slightly off topic...anyone knows if soundproofing in velle and shuttle is the same as both passenger carriers? I finally serviced the van (@175000mile) @VW van centre but they didn't know or the person who knew wasn't there-anyway it was hassle for them to walk around and find the person who knew such meaningless detail.

Cant say i know the answer to that one but as they are both are passenger carriers, i image there both the same you would think ?

Caravelle gets some extra sound proofing parts but the only stuff I have noticed is the black sponge wadding stuff you find inside panels/voids, velles get extra bits of this wadding on rear of pillars etc to fill a bit of void space

Well it has been a while, this has been mainly because I have been waiting for parts to arrive from vw that were not damages in transit from the motherland.

Anyway, finally all the main parts for the interior turned up unbroken and were being guarded by Paul at his workshop. A trip was arranged to collect, and for Paul to do the wiring for me ready for the rear roof lights and front overhead console.

After a long day in Plymouth I finally got the parts back to my factory ready to play with
20181012_124805-COLLAGE.jpg
Now as the Kombi shell is different to the Caravelle, this was not a straight forward swap. There has been a bit of fitting and adjusting to get some parts sit right. The main problems have been in the rear quarters as I do not have windows (or want any) the roof needed trimming and the C & D posts had to be fitted as they did not sit right with the lower panel. I image this is all because, basically it is panel van and not a window van, which there were designed for it the first place.
20180707_140430.jpg

I did a fair bit of prep work before I started to fit. Concentrated on sound deadening anywhere I could and had room to do so. Also decided to fit some rear speakers last minute as I was not going to bother to start with.

20181031_135706-COLLAGE.jpg

My rear air con and heating is working fine with the new panels as it would in a Caravelle. I would say the roof air con seems better than the it did with the panels I had from the factory as it has a proper channel on the Caravelle roof to guide the cold air to the vents. The ply roof I had from the factory just had one foam cover over the vent holes. This resulted in cold air mainly coming out the first vent cover and not much from the other two.

20181017_162135.jpg
20180929_112512.jpg

I am in the process now of templating some rear windows for the inside. These will be glass. They will be shaped and toughened ready for paint soon hopefully. This will give the look of blacked out windows in the rear inside quarters.

20181112_095453.jpg

Before you say it, I know it would have been a lot easier to buy a Caravelle in the first place but where’s the fun it that! I have my reasons for doing it this way + it’s a bit different to a normal Caravelle anyway. Not as posh

20181112_095440.jpg 20181112_095516.jpg 20181118_102310.jpg
20181118_102021.jpg 20181118_102054.jpg

I still have a lot of bits to do, so I will be working on them as time allows before Christmas and beyond, I image…

Looking great @StudleyGlass .you have done a great job .
I haven't done anything to mine for a while ,but just about to puss the button
and fit full comfort dash .

Just having a sort though some shots i have of my kombi and i found this screenshot that Mike sent me from Listers. How time and money flies buy :)

image001.png

Well fella, looking awesome. So much work gone into this.. all this little tweeks and bit to make it work and look as velle OEM as possible.

How's the addition of the rear speakers?
Any further plans to get the red stitch in the rear?

Great work pal.

Back