Kombi Beds Diy Or Alternatives

Hi Mark. I was in your predicament last year and could not face paying £600 plus for a bed so asked my brother in law to weld a frame with a removable bar so we can still use the storage with the frame in place. Then got some thick ply board which we carpeted and made it fold up using some piano hinges. All came to about £200 all in and a pint for my brother in law. Very pleased.

This is the exact thing I’m after! As I only want a parcel shelf and not a bed and don’t want to spend stupid money just to stack stuff on it! I’m only a hour or so from swanage lol would love It if he could make me 1! Frame only I can sort the rest!

Im just thinking about options for a bed. I’m looking at a simple piece of ply supported on wheel arch box supports or steel frame type. Has anyone done this? It needs to be really easily removable to convert back to a work van.
I like the look of the Wessex vans bed or van king bed but has anyone got ultra creative with this? I did see a thread where someone had a board supported on wheel arch box but I lost it.
£99.00 Bed That Fits A Swb Kombi Perfectly
Have a read.

I'm slowly working out whether it's feasible to build a basic exploria-esque bed using this kind of stuff:

25mm Square Tube System

Since my welding days are long gone, I'm going to have to figure out how I tie in to the lashing points, but otherwise, shouldnt be too difficult.

Hi El Duderino,
Did you get anywhere with the square tube system? Currently thinking of an 800mm wide bed on a bolted in frame that has storage and then folds/slides out to rest on the top of the rear seat (head rests removed) and driver’s seat maybe fixing around the headrest to secure it.

Anyone seen anything like this made or DIYed?

Cheers

I've been looking for a Kombi bed solution and came across this:

Furgomania,kit-cama-basic volkswagen transporter-t5-t6-combi-corta

Thinking of copying it...

Looks good, it kept switching back to Spanish but I think I got the gist.

Evening Braddyboy. I will ask him and come back to you.

Cheers T6downsouth. Although I just went and had a measure up, the clearance to the roof is going to be a bit tight if I go over the seat backs. (I won’t have room to get my knees up for some VanKing!!! )

I think all in all the Amdro double bed or the eBay metal frame version VW T5 T6 Kombi Bed - Folding Bed - 2+1 seats 3/4 Width - Camper - Rock N Roll | eBay
is what i’ll end up with.
Amdro cost more but seems less hassle especially now it’s toolfree fitting, but I don’t like the restricted vision it gives. The eBay one is less obvious when fitted, possibly a bit cheaper, but needs to be bolted in and maybe even built depending on options.

Anyone got either of these that can provide comments/reviews?
Cheers

Looks good, it kept switching back to Spanish but I think I got the gist.

Cheers T6downsouth. Although I just went and had a measure up, the clearance to the roof is going to be a bit tight if I go over the seat backs. (I won’t have room to get my knees up for some VanKing!!! )

I think all in all the Amdro double bed or the eBay metal frame version VW T5 T6 Kombi Bed - Folding Bed - 2+1 seats 3/4 Width - Camper - Rock N Roll | eBay
is what i’ll end up with.
Amdro cost more but seems less hassle especially now it’s toolfree fitting, but I don’t like the restricted vision it gives. The eBay one is less obvious when fitted, possibly a bit cheaper, but needs to be bolted in and maybe even built depending on options.

Anyone got either of these that can provide comments/reviews?
Cheers

The mrs and I are both tall and have not found it a problem. We also get two kids underneath.

Try looking at a som'toile bed, the sprung fold out beds you get in caravan or sofa beds. I bought one off eBay £10, adapted the frame & bolted a couple of legs on. It fits perfectly & folds down over the rear Kombi seats when they’re folded forward, when not in use it doubles as a handy rear load shelf as it folds right back. Add a decent mattress topper for comfort & voila! Can be removed by 1 person in 2 mins & no need to remove rear seats

The mrs and I are both tall and have not found it a problem. We also get two kids underneath.
Yeah I meant over the seat backs when they’re upright. Only about 420mm clearance before bed and mattress etc. You design looks great with the removable bar but I don’t really want full width. Just the width of the double rear seat will do, leaving room for my bike. single bed width will be fine, can’t see the Mrs roughing it in the van! Grrr

Try looking at a som'toile bed, the sprung fold out beds you get in caravan or sofa beds. I bought one off eBay £10, adapted the frame & bolted a couple of legs on. It fits perfectly & folds down over the rear Kombi seats when they’re folded forward, when not in use it doubles as a handy rear load shelf as it folds right back. Add a decent mattress topper for comfort & voila! Can be removed by 1 person in 2 mins & no need to remove rear seats
I’ll check it out thanks Morg. Any photos of your customisation?
Thanks
Brad

Is it this one:

Caravan Sofa Bed Actions120cm original som'toile 3 Fold Pull Out Bed Action With New Mattress

Cheers,

Rich

T6 back in full van mode due to moving house but will put back in when it’s camping time & post photos if you need then. It’s pretty easy to see how it fits, here’s a photo from a web ad. Remove unnecessary mechanism on lower right (that end rests on back of Kombi seats, if no seats then just leave on).
I had to bolt 4 legs to existing metalwork to raise height to fit over my rear heater, think adult Meccano & you’re away, total cost inc topper £40

82E868DC-7659-4A61-B5AE-65B98C104EF6.jpeg

No probs, the ££’s saved on the bed I spent on insulation & sound deadening. Behind every roof, door & side & rear panel.. 50-70% Peacemat (5m roll) where you can & over top Self Adhesive Thermal Insulation foil+foam (10m roll) over the top of that, very easy to do & takes less than a day & makes a HUGE difference keeping warm in winter, cool in summer & cutting down road noise

Back