Kombi Beds Diy Or Alternatives

Im just thinking about options for a bed. I’m looking at a simple piece of ply supported on wheel arch box supports or steel frame type. Has anyone done this? It needs to be really easily removable to convert back to a work van.
I like the look of the Wessex vans bed or van king bed but has anyone got ultra creative with this? I did see a thread where someone had a board supported on wheel arch box but I lost it.

Hi Mark. I was in your predicament last year and could not face paying £600 plus for a bed so asked my brother in law to weld a frame with a removable bar so we can still use the storage with the frame in place. Then got some thick ply board which we carpeted and made it fold up using some piano hinges. All came to about £200 all in and a pint for my brother in law. Very pleased.

A678AFDF-8188-4862-98A6-DB42156308DE.jpeg

I have the exploria II kombi bed. Great product, expensive but is a pain in the arse to fit on s Friday night after work before camping. It really designed to be a permanent fixture. It will be for sale in the future as I’m looking for a t4 for camping and keep the t6’s for work vans

I'm slowly working out whether it's feasible to build a basic exploria-esque bed using this kind of stuff:

25mm Square Tube System

Since my welding days are long gone, I'm going to have to figure out how I tie in to the lashing points, but otherwise, shouldnt be too difficult.

I've got the Wessex Vans Kombi bed, can't fault it other than the price. If you know a friendly metal fabricator you could easily get your own made up for less. I leave the frame in all the time, there's plenty of room even with it fitted.

I did have to buy extra mattress toppers for my bed though, it got uncomfortable after a few hours without them.

I made a similar kind of platform for my T5 work van using Unistrut, no welding required & can be bought at most electrical wholesalers.

Unistrut U.K. Systems&M2=Single and Double Channel&#M1

Hi Mark. I was in your predicament last year and could not face paying £600 plus for a bed so asked my brother in law to weld a frame with a removable bar so we can still use the storage with the frame in place. Then got some thick ply board which we carpeted and made it fold up using some piano hinges. All came to about £200 all in and a pint for my brother in law. Very pleased.

View attachment 24403
That looks fantastic, he’s done an amazing job! It’s exactly what I’m looking for but sadly I don’t have a brother in law who welds! I don’t suppose you have any more pictures of it or even better, specs on how he built it?
Richard

Back