Kombi Beds Diy Or Alternatives

Great spare bed for family at home, over Christmas etc shame it’s state side

Last edited:
I'm slowly working out whether it's feasible to build a basic exploria-esque bed using this kind of stuff:

25mm Square Tube System

Since my welding days are long gone, I'm going to have to figure out how I tie in to the lashing points, but otherwise, shouldnt be too difficult.

Has anyone used this system to make their own bed frame? I have worked out it will cost around the £100 mark. Then the Base and Mattress on top of that. I was wondering if it would be sturdy enough!

Has anyone used this system to make their own bed frame? I have worked out it will cost around the £100 mark. Then the Base and Mattress on top of that. I was wondering if it would be sturdy enough!
We used that at work to make frames for signs and exhibition stands, it will defo be sturdy enough or a bed

No probs, the ££’s saved on the bed I spent on insulation & sound deadening. Behind every roof, door & side & rear panel.. 50-70% Peacemat (5m roll) where you can & over top Self Adhesive Thermal Insulation foil+foam (10m roll) over the top of that, very easy to do & takes less than a day & makes a HUGE difference keeping warm in winter, cool in summer & cutting down road noise

Great idea, can you give any more info/pics on how you bolted on the new legs? Did you secure into existing bolt holes on floor?

I bought this....

Ihttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-T6-Kombi-Bed-Folding-Self-Assembly-Bed-Kit-2-1-seats-3-4-Width-Camper/333686325718?hash=item4db14141d6:g:9xgAAOSwUwla52~1

Works really well and folds up behind the rear seats. The guy cuts it to the shape you want (as my single seat folds flat, I just left it with a straight edge). carpeted it in the same stuff as the walls so doesn’t look out of place.

I've got a folding concertina type thing for a T5 that I bought from the other forum a while back, a bit rough and ready but definitely a good idea. It's a bit like those small folding steps but a bed. If anyone's interested in seeing it I could get some images next time I'm at my storage. Pretty compact, looks easy to make and I guess cheap if you're handy with a jig saw.

Not sure what you mean, pics would be interesting.

I have a double and single set up I've made out of ply. Slots together. Cost about £60 in materials

I bought this....

Ihttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-T6-Kombi-Bed-Folding-Self-Assembly-Bed-Kit-2-1-seats-3-4-Width-Camper/333686325718?hash=item4db14141d6:g:9xgAAOSwUwla52~1

Works really well and folds up behind the rear seats. The guy cuts it to the shape you want (as my single seat folds flat, I just left it with a straight edge). carpeted it in the same stuff as the walls so doesn’t look out of place.
Because you have an "I" directly before the https bit.

I can’t recommend forty winks enough for this, although admittedly that is the ££’s option,

Infiniti Customs Kombi bed. Utterly superb and keeps the multi use aspect of a van (fold flat or remove).

Served me well for a couple years with a memory foam roll up mattress.

Back