Made this rear bed/shelf system

Beng

VIP Member
T6 Pro
For anyone looking for ideas i thought i'd share my homemade bed/shelf. All in it cost me about £70 in materials.

I wanted to make something that was
  • Removable with no permanant fixings or holes yet fixed to the floor
  • Fairly cheap to make
  • Was tight to the edges of the van as to not loose stuff down the side
  • Strong enough and durable

The finished bed:
IMG_4212.jpeg

Profiles for the base:

IMG_4163.jpeg

IMG_4175.jpeg

Carpeted the top sheets of all the way round. This guide by coombe valley campers was ace
IMG_4184.jpegIMG_4183.jpeg
A nice tight fit
IMG_4187.jpeg

Secured the sides to the floor fixing points using some longer bolts and the original tie downs on top of the wood.
IMG_4201.jpeg

The final product, really happy with it. Also added a Nooks Board from the Ply Guys for hanging hats, hemets etc. and a Vanshades rear blind. Stealth camper mode on! Hope this helps anyone that needs something similar.
IMG_4210.jpegIMG_4246.jpegIMG_4243.jpegIMG_4241.jpegIMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4212.jpeg

Last edited:
really good job there. did you use 18mm ply? did it need many sheets?

Only addition I’d make is a couple of cheap Ikea screw on table legs (depending how heavy you are) in the middle to stop the board flexing. Might need trimming to suit (called Adils)

Looks great!

Only addition I’d make is a couple of cheap Ikea screw on table legs (depending how heavy you are) in the middle to stop the board flexing. Might need trimming to suit (called Adils)

Looks great!
I used 18mm hardwood ply so it's pretty strong! If i needed to strengthen it i'd probably glue an extra batten of ply under the spanning board. But it seems plenty strong enough

Only thing you might want to add is some holes/slots in the bed platform to allow the bottom of whatever you use as a mattress to breathe. It'll save a bit of weight too!

Looks brilliant. I'm thinking of the same but with a sliding bed in the centre that folds up. Not thought of how to do that just yet. Gonna see what the joiner from work thinks of my plans.

Looks brilliant. I'm thinking of the same but with a sliding bed in the centre that folds up. Not thought of how to do that just yet. Gonna see what the joiner from work thinks of my plans.
Let me know how you get on, interested to see that

any further plans for the side boxes around the wheel arches? Would be perfect for storage

I am going to plagiarise the hell out of this.
@Beng
Let me know how you get on
A few things that might help:
  • I used cardboard to template the side profile of the Van, made those cuts then did a scribe to cut the exact profile.
  • 18mm ply is plenty strong enough for me, but 25mm would be stronger if you wanted bigger loads on the span, just a weight trade off an more expensive
  • To use the floor tie down points I used M10 x 70mm (i think), i didn't crank it down too hard as i don't think you need to. You'll end up bending the middle as the foam floor brings it up. Other option is to maybe add some washers between the floor and wood.
  • The carpet adds a few mm to the width of the boards so think through the width. What i did was carpet the top sections and screwed the side tops in after, that way there was a few mm float to get the fit perfect.

Back