foggy3061

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Given the recent high praise of some of the other Kenwood headunits (DNX9180 & DNX8180) from the very knowledgeable @Absolut5 , i find myself considering the Kenwood DNX518VDABS to replace the factory headunit.

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles • DNX518VDABS Features • Kenwood UK

Does anyone have any experience of this unit yet?

I believe earlier versions had some reliability problems and took and age to boot up from first start!

Last edited:
I’ve got the 9180. It’s a great unit. I do find myself using CarPlay most of the time so if the lower spec units handle CarPlay as well I don’t think you can go wrong.

Given the recent high praise of some of the other Kenwood headunits (DNX9180 & DNX8180) from the very knowledgeable @Absolut5 , i find myself considering the Kenwood DNX518VDABS to replace the factory headunit.

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles • DNX518VDABS Features • Kenwood UK

Does anyone have any experience of this unit yet?

I believe earlier versions had some reliability problems and took and age to boot up from first start!

The 9180 and 8180 have vastly superior screens, which can be viewed in sun light unlike the 518, they are also reverse tilt

Old Kenwoods used be sluggish but the new ones are super fast, and quicker than any other brand.. but all take a while to boot as they are like a computer

I have one. The boot speed is OK but the screen clarity isn't great in some light conditions. Functionality is good but the screen is disappointing.

Oooh yeah it does take. While to come one. I’m normally plugging my phone in sorting my belt etc and then it’s ready.

Audi’s Systems are slow to boot and crash. It’s no worse than that.

Thanks @kn0bby, @Absolut5, @stevenross, sounds like it's worth a go.

Screen quality wouldn't be too much of a problem as I doubt I'd ever watch anything on it other than the reversing cam or the nav.

The card slot is one of the real plus points for me, load it with music and it's always in the van!

Thanks @kn0bby, @Absolut5, @stevenross, sounds like it's worth a go.

Screen quality wouldn't be too much of a problem as I doubt I'd ever watch anything on it other than the reversing cam or the nav.

The card slot is one of the real plus points for me, load it with music and it's always in the van!

All of the DNX range have SD card slot.

We can supply the 518 plus parts to retain the usb on the dash and dab aerial adapter

Pretty happy with mine, radio reception great (which was non existent with my old van and Kenwood unit) yes, screen can be a little difficult to see in full sun but liveable and integrates perfectly with the VW functions. If you can use Absolut5 - very helpful.IMG_0920.jpeg

All of the DNX range have SD card slot.

Well that might change things, more thought required!

Pretty happy with mine, radio reception great (which was non existent with my old van and Kenwood unit) yes, screen can be a little difficult to see in full sun but liveable and integrates perfectly with the VW functions. If you can use Absolut5 - very helpful.View attachment 40446

That screen cover reminds me of the one that comes with some Alpine headunits!

we had ours fitted by west yorkshire VW centre, very poor unit , screen is very hard to see in daylight , takes forever to load , and cant use it as a dvd player as the unit dosent work with ignition switched off, also the usb lead has been fed into the glovebox , so when you use it the glovebox has to be open , biggest waste of money and the t6 is starting to get that way as well

we had ours fitted by west yorkshire VW centre, very poor unit , screen is very hard to see in daylight , takes forever to load , and cant use it as a dvd player as the unit dosent work with ignition switched off, also the usb lead has been fed into the glovebox , so when you use it the glovebox has to be open , biggest waste of money and the t6 is starting to get that way as well

We always install the dnx8180dab and 9190dab as they have motorised reverse tilt screens, also capactive instead of resistive on the 518 (old tech) and even HD on the 9190, these deal with sun glare.
Boot up is a little slow but al nav unit’s are, but after that the ape are super fast making all others look sluggish.

The default mode is no dvd when the handbrake is not on, but can be over ridden easily

Vw centres do not retain the dash usb and most of the time they fit a glass aerial instead of retaining the one in the mirror, both parts we can supply

Also regarding switching it on when there is no key, this can be done via a discreet hidden switch

Hi - just had a Kenwood DNX518VDAB fitted and driving back checking it’s functionality. I thought the sat nav directions should display on the MFD but they don’t? Is this correct? Any advice really appreciated.

Last edited:
I have read with interest the diversity of problems in the threads. Before the conversion of my T6 the company doing the conversion took it to VW for the Kenwood upgrade. I have now taken delivery (14 weeks and delighted) All seems to be but while I can hear callers they cannot hear me. VW of course say why have I taken so long to report this? I tell them I have just received the van!
Before I get belligerent with them has anyone with a similar problem found the answer? I am connecting an Iphone 6 by bluetooth and USB but neither method makes any difference.

I purchased a DNX518VDABS as i was advise it had wireless carplay.... After installing it doesn't! :oops:
Hopefully my VW dealer will take it back...

Either way i need to replace it as wireless carplay is a must have for me and has been from day one of the van project.

Looks like Kenwood Dmx 8019 or Dnx9190dabs are the only ones that offer what I need?

Really annoyed at the situation!

@Absolut5 I've tried to call the office a few times today to buy a new unit form you. Please let me know if you are free.

@Absolut5 I've tried to call the office a few times today to buy a new unit form you. Please let me know if you are free.
Hiya

The phone has not stopped ringing this week, so lunchtime we no longer answer and stop answering around 4.00 to sort orders and do the post office run

Yes the 518 does not have wireless

the following Kenwoods do
DMX8019dabs
DMX 8020dabs
Dnx9190dabs
Dmx9720xds

Regrds
Jason

Hiya

The phone has not stopped ringing this week, so lunchtime we no longer answer and stop answering around 4.00 to sort orders and do the post office run

Yes the 518 does not have wireless

the following Kenwoods do
DMX8019dabs
DMX 8020dabs
Dnx9190dabs
Dmx9720xds

Regrds
Jason

Can you DM me a Price for everything to install and remain factory USB/Steering wheel in my highline on the DMX 8020dabs, Dnx9190dabs and the Dmx9720xds please :thumbsup:

Kenwood DMX 8020dabs
genuine Kenwood-Vw interface for parking sensor display, mfd and mfsw features
one piece facia
dash usb retention kit
dab aerial adapter adapter
fm aerial adapter
£781.99 delivered

or same parts with the following-
DMX 9720Xds £1242.99 delivered
DNX 9190dabs £1491.99 delivered

Kenwood DMX 8020dabs
genuine Kenwood-Vw interface for parking sensor display, mfd and mfsw features
one piece facia
dash usb retention kit
dab aerial adapter adapter
fm aerial adapter
£781.99 delivered

or same parts with the following-
DMX 9720Xds £1242.99 delivered
DNX 9190dabs £1491.99 delivered

Thank you. I know it’s down to preference but what would you advise?

Back