Kenwood 8019dab Is It Worth Upgrading

chuddly71

VIP Member
Everyone seems to be giving really good reviews on the Kenwood 8019DABS unit and I am wondering if it is worth me upgrading? Do you notice a big quality difference in sound with aftermarket speakers and amp?

I currently have the VW Sat Nav unit, which is ok but I hate the sat nav and so I end up using google maps on android auto. I was going to use an amp on this unit but it got me wondering if the quality would be vastly improved with an aftermarket head unit.

Any reviews or comparisons would be much appreciated

FWIW I had a Kenwood DNX516DABS, bought in order to add on a reversing camera and satnav. The first worked no problems but I never thought much of the satnav so much that I bought a Tomtom with 'life' mapping upgrades and live traffic which was much, much better. For example we've a fair few sections of average speed cameras around here, the Kenwood satnav couldn't tell me my average speed, couldn't tell me about traffic jams, map upgrades were a hassle and after two years I'm now expected to pay for them. I'm getting a new van soon and will be reinstalling the
Kenwood for a reversing camera and also because I'm not buying another head unit! Sound wise I can't recall any difference as I just stuck with the original speakers.

Other views may differ and of course the 8019 may have a completely different satnav system but if you're wanting that specific capability then make sure before you buy.

As you say, loads of reviews on here, do a search and you'll turn them up, no point in rehashing them all again on here. I'm happy with mine, fed through aftermarket amp and speakers.
@KR. The 8019 doesn't have built-in satnav and is all the better for it, you get to use Waze etc via Carplay or Andrex Auto on screen instead. Built in sat nav is dead IMHO, it just can't be updated quickly enough.

Reactions: KR.
As you say, loads of reviews on here, do a search and you'll turn them up, no point in rehashing them all again on here. I'm happy with mine, fed through aftermarket amp and speakers.
@KR. The 8019 doesn't have built-in satnav and is all the better for it, you get to use Waze etc via Carplay or Andrex Auto on screen instead. Built in sat nav is dead IMHO, it just can't be updated quickly enough.

Got you, rereading that I might have missed the point of the question : -) Not a bad replacement though and half the price.....

Thanks for the replies. I did a search prior to my post, but didn't find the answer I was looking for hence my post. I was more looking for the difference in sound quality between that on the VW unit and the Kenwood unit to see if anyone had an opinion when being used with aftermarket amps and speakers

Back