kenwood dnx 9190 dabs

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi just a warning to anyone considering buying one of these.. mines been in for "repair" due to dust contaminating under the touch screen..
its been cleaned (in the process they have damaged the paint on the tiny screws holding it together. and sent it back with still a few particles of dust under the screen and a statement that " these sets are not airtight" and that dust in vehicle could be a problem...

Well dust is indeed a problem in ANY vehicle ! obviously.. so why the hell is it not air tight ?

The original VW unit was in the vehicle for 3 years and has no sign of dust contamination.

Im working on Kenwood and Fullers ( the repair guys ) and the shop where I bought it, Dynamic Sounds.. and having raised my points .. Im getting silence back.... obviously ! Im not letting this stress me out .. life is far too short..... BUT im not going to let companies like this get away with it .. they know damn well how incredibly inconvenient it is to remove an installed head unit and pay to send it in for repair .. and that most people just won't bother...

Fullers almost seemed to take as long as they could over it as well. I would suggest to anyone else who gets this problem to not take any crap and just demand a replacement . If dust gets in there its only going to get in there again.

SO a word of caution it appears that Kenwood/JVC are quite happy to sell head units in the £1300 price range that allow dust to get in under the screen and do not seem to acknowledge that this is an issue and blame the customer for having a dusty vehicle ..its actually pretty disgusting.

I personally will not be spending another penny on a product made by this company and will be pursuing the matter..

Last edited:
Just awaiting delivery of one from @Absolut5
well I hope that in your case you don't get this problem as its bloody annoying looking at a screen gradually filling up with more and more fine dust under its screen and finding the company that make it .. don't seem to give a s***t

well I hope that in your case you don't get this problem as its bloody annoying looking at a screen gradually filling up with more and more fine dust under its screen and finding the company that make it .. don't seem to give a s***t
This‘ll sort it:

img_0931-jpeg.79970

I've got one being fitted shortly too, I won't be happy if this is a problem with all of them.

Have you tried soshal medya? maybe shame Kenwood into a comment.

We had this issue a lot with Pioneer avic headunits, one reason we virtually stopped selling them.

never really had a issue with a Kenwood DNX units in the past 3 years , so hope this is a very rare isolated incident

We had this issue a lot with Pioneer avic headunits, one reason we virtually stopped selling them.

never really had a issue with a Kenwood DNX units in the past 3 years , so hope this is a very rare isolated incident
Me too .. the fact that the official repair chaps have stated these units are not air sealed does not bode well for confidence .. I’m asking for a new unit . If it’s rare then my unit should be replaced .. not “repaired” it now looks second hand and clearly still has some dust remaining under its touch screen. These units are dust magnets so why the hell they are not air sealed is just crazy to me .

AA1CF5D2-0D82-4511-9710-C14C776B64EF.jpeg

FF98A177-3C17-4559-81F5-FFB0260F48E7.jpeg

D8726CCB-7CCE-4B63-908B-7877E978EE77.jpeg

D0FB7B02-F0B6-4986-A233-E87495553CCE.jpeg

Little update ...
Kenwood are now looking into this issue a little deeper due to the fact I’m asking for a replacement unit ... wether I get one or not is beside the point ... I’m just pleased that they are acknowledging a problem and facing up to it ... I expect a lot of units out there do actually have dust building up under the screen .. of course the longer they drag their heals the more time goes by and everyone’s guarantees run out .. I believe a product sold in the UK must do it’s job without problems for 2 years .. a bit of dust under the screen could of course be within tolerance .. so if I can get this unit replaced whilst still under warranty .. then that at least should encourage companies like Kenwood to to a little better .. like make a product that is designed to go in a dash board of a vehicle f*****g impervious to dust.

What’s was the outcome of this issue please before I spend all my money on a dust catcher?

What’s was the outcome of this issue please before I spend all my money on a dust catcher?
I had my money returned ! Kenwood just kept “repairing “ it and in the end the shop who sold me it were too ashamed of its condition to send it back to me a third time STILL with dust under the screen !! So after a bit of wrangling trying to get me to accept a different unit and some money back .. I got a Full refund and will never touch another kenwood product . I then went direct to alpine uk and bought their halo kit for a vw t6 and their support has been fantastic even gave me a guide on how to utilise the existing GPS aerial in the wing mirror for better reception after admitting their own aerial is not up to the job and sent me a second brand new unit after I found a fault with the first units reception ( yep I have a lot of luck with head units ) but honestly buying direct from alpine U.K. has saved me a ton of wasted time . Kenwood are diabolical. Nice unit in terms of its ability but it lets dust get into the screen which is just not acceptable and Kenwood product support is non existant .

My advice is stay clear of this Kenwood range . If you’re not bothered about stuff like dust getting under the screen I’m sure they are great . But to me I can’t get my head around a unit that costs over a thousand pounds that has not been sealed to be impervious to dust under its screen .. fitted in between two air vents in a van ! It’s crazy.
I opted for the alpine halo after my unfortunate experience with Kenwood . it’s a bigger screen ( not high res though ) the build quality of the unit of visibly superior . It has a noisy fan (annoying) but you don’t hear it with engine running ..
it’s not wireless CarPlay either but to be honest I’ve not missed that feature at all .I just plug in my iPhone and it gets charged it’s no major problem . The alpine also has the best sat nav I've ever experienced . I prefer it to my iPhone which can be extremely unreliable at times .
The alpine just feels like it’s been designed for a vehicle it seems to have its priorities right . Like no dust gets inside the screen for a start .

Back