Kenwood Head Unit DNX9190dabs dust under screen

Just been told by dealer that Kenwood want my unit back in to clean it again .. they are desperate not to acknowledge a design flaw here ! i have not even reinstalled the unit since the last « repair » it’s just still got dust in there and maybe some more during transit .. I don’t know but the situation is a farce .. I’m going to want a full year Or two guarantee on this if I’m going to accept it back again ..

Ok simply do not ever buy one of these Kenwood units .. this company take the p**s ... I’ve had months of time wasted trying to get this unit sorted out it’s been in for repair .. come back with dust still under the screen and noticeable signs of tamper damage and now they are taking ages over arranging for it to be sent off and cleaned out yet again .... by the same people .. notably .. fullers . .. it’s an absolute joke .. a head unit that costs £1300 designed to go in a dashboard and yet allows dust to get under its screen .. staggering ... I’m just basically having my time wasted rather than getting on and enjoying my investment . The hassle of installing the thing and then having to rip it all out to get it sent off is just never worth it .. it really isn’t that great a unit. How they can charge the money they do for it is beyond belief .

I’ve just bought the KENWOOD 7190 ... once fitted I couldn’t receive dab stations as my next base dash cam affected the signal... eventually got that sorted..the thing that I don’t like is the quality of the plastic screen... I never noticed this in the shop display... I’m now hoping I don’t get dust as my van is a works van during the day...

I’ve just bought the KENWOOD 7190 ... once fitted I couldn’t receive dab stations as my next base dash cam affected the signal... eventually got that sorted..the thing that I don’t like is the quality of the plastic screen... I never noticed this in the shop display... I’m now hoping I don’t get dust as my van is a works van during the day...
Fingers crossed for you

Just cleaned my DNX9190 headunit to discover I have the same issue with dust under the screen, it’s been fitted just over a year. For the amount of money they charge for these headunits we shouldn’t be having any issues with them.
I have contacted Absolut5 who fitted this for me and waiting for a reply

2B58CD5D-500F-46ED-8493-6934492167E5.jpeg

D69122C5-165D-480F-9431-1A73A492CEF2.jpeg

Just cleaned my DNX9190 headunit to discover I have the same issue with dust under the screen, it’s been fitted just over a year. For the amount of money they charge for these headunits we shouldn’t be having any issues with them.
I have contacted Absolut5 who fitted this for me and waiting for a reply

View attachment 83669

View attachment 83670
Sorry to hear this but it’s no surprise to me .. I’ve written to Kenwood to express my feelings about this product several times and they remain silent ... they are the real problem here not the sellers or installers or fullers repair centre who just clean it out and send it back only to have the same issue arise again over and over. The product is faulty and should be withdrawn from sale until they redesign it to be air tight . If enough people complain to Kenwood it may happen but whilst it’s just a few of us they will keep their heads down and allow fullers to ... Repair them ... incidentally that’s a major pita as it’s taking the dashboard apart then spending weeks with no head unit !!! It’s horrible

Update ... Kenwood are still not responding to any mail regarding this issue .. my unit after weeks of hanging around is apparently being sent back by fullers to the company I bought it from ... why that is, is a total mystery, and I expect I will then have to wait for them to send it back to me ... (further delays ) it seems they deliberately delay everything as long as they can ... I will run out of my guarantee for sure very soon as a result of this ... quite frankly the service is absolutely terrible ... I will never be buying a product made by this company again. So many other manufacturers provide a fair and honest after sales service that would make Kenwood look pathetic in comparison . It’s just not worth buying a product from a company like this ... bloated over priced garbage with a totally inadequate after sales service .

Latest ! The store that sold me the unit have checked it after returning from fullers repair centre and have admitted that even after this second attempt to clean it there is STILL dust under the screen ... they are now offering me a brand new unit as long as I accept that Kenwood will not honour the guarantee If dust gets in it !
hmmmm .. I’ve suggested that I will do everything I can to avoid dust but I will expect the product to be guaranteed against defects or malfunction and that MUST include the display and ingress of particles that’s don’t belong under it ... jeez how much longer can this go on for

So in a months time your new unit will have dust and no guarantee? Last kenwood I buy :cautious:

So in a months time your new unit will have dust and no guarantee? Last kenwood I buy :cautious:
Yep and they are still in denial ... despite the shop themselves saying dust is under screen even after repair ... Kenwood say ( yep they have actually finally replied to me )they sent someone to check it before it was sent back to shop .... I said they should have gone to specsavers ! So it’s not only me that is telling Kenwood the problem is ongoing , now the retail shop themselves are refusing to send it back me in this condition ... progress is slowly taking place ... only been almost a year now..

Latest latest is they are offering me a £250 partial refund if I keep the unit .. due to the lockdown and continued time wasting from Kenwood it’s just about to run out of its 12 month guarantee ... so It’s like a pay off hoping I just go away !!! I’ve decided to not accept this and I’ve asked for a brand new unit guaranteed ! or a full refund .. and I will lick my wounds, write off the wiring loom provided by absolute 5, and find a totally different unit altogether ... jeez really hoping for an end to this nightmare soon

I wonder if spraying the edges of the unit to stop dust accumulation will help prevent dust building up and getting in there...

There's various anti static dust sprays on the market... I know as a consumer you shouldn't have to... but it might be an idea to those who already have these units fitted...

Anti dust spray

I wonder if spraying the edges of the unit to stop dust accumulation will help prevent dust building up and getting in there...

There's various anti static dust sprays on the market... I know as a consumer you shouldn't have to... but it might be an idea to those who already have these units fitted...

Anti dust spray
Good suggestion ! It would be nice if Kenwood at least acknowledge the problem and suggest things like this ..

Last edited:
On going kenwood drama update ... I’m still waiting for a new replacement unit ... can hardly believe this terrible company it’s been like 6 months of never ending hassle ....

Kiravans for example just sent me a new swivel base because I mentioned about mine not being quite right. Hard to swivel etc .

Without demanding the old one in for repair, they just sent me a new unit and will arrange to pick up old one when I’ve swapped it over !

Kenwood are hands down the defacto worse company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with ... do not buy anything these scum bags produce. The customer service is just shocking.

Super duper latest is im getting a full refund as they have no idea when any more units are coming .
I’m wondering why the world of car head units is so secretive and expensive and difficult .. it’s obvious to me you want wireless Apple car play and decent audio and reverse cam . And yet it’s a world of bullshit and ridiculous prices ! Completely over the top prices fir systems a child could have dreamt up .. I really don’t understand why there is no company that does this right . Most recently I drove the new t6.1 2020 and was impressed with the dash ergonomics and the head unit ... but I don’t think it supported wireless Apple car play..not sure ..

I have the same problem with my Kenwood DDX9019DABS dusk under the Screen glass. I have had mine repaired 4 months after buying it and now 11 months later same problem again. I spoke to Kenwood and they are repairing it again but im worried what will happen when the warranty runs out. I would not recommend buying this Kenwood model and its suppose to be a high end model.

Not happy at all i would not buy Kenwood againView attachment 82111
Hey, i got the DNX9180. Also got the same problem. The dust exactly are in the same spot like yours. Unfortunately mine is out if warranty. i will not buy Kenwood again in the future

Hi, I’ve only had this unit a few months, it came highly recommended, and comes with a high price tag !!
Just look at the touch screen, after such a short time of owning it, this is dust... underneath the screen, or rather inside it, and once noticed, you see it constantly .. a serious design issue? I would have thought a unit designed to go in the dashboard of a vehicle, should be totally impervious to dust particles for f**ks sake.
View attachment 62681
Same problem with mine but i have it for 2 years. Mine is DNX9180. The problem just started last month but not as bad as yours. But its out of warranty. I dont want to get it repaired either since its not going to fix the problem. I just cant believe the quality of this high end Kenwood

Yeh personally I will never be touching anything with the name kenwood again unless it’s to throw it in a bin . Absolutely appalling company .. these products should have been withdrawn from sale when they first knew about this issue .. I would guess that was well over a year ago . but they have been happily selling them knowing they have a blatant design flaw. having them ‘ repaired ‘ and accusing people of having dusty vehicles etc is just a way of trying to silence the customers that were noticing the problem whilst they shifted as many units as possible .. that’s a pretty despicable attitude to have . Having a head unit repaired is not exactly a joy either as you have to rip the thing out of your dash and it’s likely the wiring is specifically for that unit . It’s all a very long winded and expensive process . I’ve just paid out another fortune for the alpine halo unit .. my new world of pain commences with trying to update its firm ware. That’s turning into a total nightmare .. on it goes .. can someone just design a decent unit that just works without costing the earth or being full of issues .. what is wrong with this world

So glad I didn’t stump up the extra for one of these now, I ended up with 8019 which has been fine. It is ridiculous that they don’t come clean and refund people for what is obviously a design fault. Not sure of the Alpine though, I’ve had a lot of problems with them in the past myself and I don’t think I could live with the looks of the Halo. I hope as OEM units get better the future will be keeping them and improving the sound via amps, signal processors and better speakers.

I was going to get Alpine but since you mentioned its got some issues i really have to think about it.

My 9180 was also fine until a few weeks ago when i saw the dust couldnt be cleaned and noticed the dust inside the screen.

Back