Kenwood Head Unit DNX9190dabs dust under screen

I was going to get Alpine but since you mentioned its got some issues i really have to think about it.

My 9180 was also fine until a few weeks ago when i saw the dust couldnt be cleaned and noticed the dust inside the screen.
I think the alpine is very well built , very solid. I bought the whole kit straight from alpine U.K. so I got the tried and tested set up for a t6 . They communicate well and sorted out a missing reverse camera cable very quickly .. however the unit was £1215 !!! a pig to assemble, and virtually no instructions for fitting it to a t6 (all parts were there though )and after head scratching a plenty I got it installed . The firmware issue (im hoping ) is just that it is VERY VERY fussy about what memory stick is used, as I’ve eliminated pretty much any other possibility..

Another issue is fan noise .. it’s quite a noisy beast in comparison with the oem unit or the kenwood . I can live with but would prefer silence .

Apple car play works very well with it (usb) but it has some issues with volume levels using Waze or Siri with voice control .. the volume level is ridiculously loud ..even when the music listening volume is low and seems very difficult to find how to control it ... hence why I’m trying a firmware update .. .. I imagine a much better model will soon be released with a higher resolution screen and wireless CarPlay (knowing my luck)

all these companies seem to be charging totally over the top prices. But kenwood really have displayed some seriously bad attitude towards their customers in my opinion .

I googled regarding firmware update for Alpine out of curiosity. It's a bit more complicated compared to Kenwood. Kenwood one was easy but so far i can't get any update for the map (I live in Australia in case you're wondering). Don't know in UK if you got an update or not. I have tried everything but couldn't find any update for the map. So the map is quite old now being 2 years old. With Alpine map, it's free update for 3 years.

What sort of problem did you find with the firmware update for Alpine? I read you just need a blank flash drive, download the zip file, open and move it one by one to the flash drive. There are 3 files or something that you have to move one by one to the unit. With Kenwood it was only one file to move, plug into USB drive and voilaaa. All done. But since 2019 there was no update anymore for Kenwood.

Regarding the tuning ability between Alpine and Kenwood they're almost similar. Alpine got MX Xpander, Bass Engine but only 9 bands equalizer. Kenwood got 13 bands

I'm still thinking about it if I really need to replace this Kenwood or not. So far this dust problem doesn't really bug me since it's on the bottom corner. But your one was really bad...lol. I'd have replaced it if i were you.

Definitely not buying Kenwood in the future. By the way, FYI our Kenwood were made in Indonesia. Some Alpine units are still made in Japan

I googled regarding firmware update for Alpine out of curiosity. It's a bit more complicated compared to Kenwood. Kenwood one was easy but so far i can't get any update for the map (I live in Australia in case you're wondering). Don't know in UK if you got an update or not. I have tried everything but couldn't find any update for the map. So the map is quite old now being 2 years old. With Alpine map, it's free update for 3 years.

What sort of problem did you find with the firmware update for Alpine? I read you just need a blank flash drive, download the zip file, open and move it one by one to the flash drive. There are 3 files or something that you have to move one by one to the unit. With Kenwood it was only one file to move, plug into USB drive and voilaaa. All done. But since 2019 there was no update anymore for Kenwood.

Regarding the tuning ability between Alpine and Kenwood they're almost similar. Alpine got MX Xpander, Bass Engine but only 9 bands equalizer. Kenwood got 13 bands

I'm still thinking about it if I really need to replace this Kenwood or not. So far this dust problem doesn't really bug me since it's on the bottom corner. But your one was really bad...lol. I'd have replaced it if i were you.

Definitely not buying Kenwood in the future. By the way, FYI our Kenwood were made in Indonesia. Some Alpine units are still made in Japan
Regarding firmware it just won’t read the two memory sticks I’ve tried so far . Both formatted fat 32 and with the correct files in the correct folder ... with no other files on the sticks. As per instructions . However it also would not read mp3s on the same sticks when I tried that as an alternative test .. indicating it’s not seeing any files ! It’s definitely aware of a usb stick but not the files on it.
I’ve eliminated the cable from the unit to the usb socket by plugging in direct to back of unit . So I’ve bought a brand new stick placed files on it and I will try today . Will report back.
i cannot believe the problems I’m having getting a head unit that I’m just happy with its nuts . I noticed another issue with car play yesterday .. although it seems to work well .. the head unit always says ´there is a problem connecting to Apple Music ‘ however the phone is indicating no problems and I can browse Apple Music no problem on the phone.. the music plays through the head unit ..it’s a really stupid bug that wont clear ... again why i am trying to update the firmware

Last edited:
Regarding firmware it just won’t read the two memory sticks I’ve tried so far . Both formatted fat 32 and with the correct files in the correct folder ... with no other files on the sticks. As per instructions . However it also would not read mp3s on the same sticks when I tried that as an alternative test .. indicating it’s not seeing any files ! It’s definitely aware of a usb stick but not the files on it.
I’ve eliminated the cable from the unit to the usb socket by plugging in direct to back of unit . So I’ve bought a brand new stick placed files on it and I will try today . Will report back.
i cannot believe the problems I’m having getting a head unit that I’m just happy with its nuts . I noticed another issue with car play yesterday .. although it seems to work well .. the head unit always says ´there is a problem connecting to Apple Music ‘ however the phone is indicating no problems and I can browse Apple Music no problem on the phone.. the music plays through the head unit ..it’s a really stupid bug that don’t clear ... again why il trying to update the firmware
I was going to say it could be the usb cable since i read it in the google today. They mentioned to use usb 2.0 or something and it was working. But since you have plugged the stick directly and still not reading it, well it wasnt the cable then.

Thats why i might not replace the kenwood as long as it still works. New headunit means new problems. They dont make headunit like they used too. I even googled it today regarding Alpine headunit and came across problem with standard alpine headunit x208u in mazda bt50. Owner complaint regarding the gps thats not accurate plus another bells and whistles such as reverse camera not working, volume just disappeared, etc etc

I didnt expect you re having problem with the car play either. But you are right it might need firmware update but how come its so hard to do the update. The kenwood one was so easy fortunately but like i have mentioned there is still no update. Alpine does have a lot of updates

Yes please let me know by using different usb. I am curious. Damn man, you got problem after problem with the headunit. You got a lot of patience

I was going to say it could be the usb cable since i read it in the google today. They mentioned to use usb 2.0 or something and it was working. But since you have plugged the stick directly and still not reading it, well it wasnt the cable then.

Thats why i might not replace the kenwood as long as it still works. New headunit means new problems. They dont make headunit like they used too. I even googled it today regarding Alpine headunit and came across problem with standard alpine headunit x208u in mazda bt50. Owner complaint regarding the gps thats not accurate plus another bells and whistles such as reverse camera not working, volume just disappeared, etc etc

I didnt expect you re having problem with the car play either. But you are right it might need firmware update but how come its so hard to do the update. The kenwood one was so easy fortunately but like i have mentioned there is still no update. Alpine does have a lot of updates

Yes please let me know by using different usb. I am curious. Damn man, you got problem after problem with the headunit. You got a lot of patience

well alpine at least do help ! They are quick to reply and are sending me a usb stick with the files on .
So im pleased that they give a shit about their customers... unlike kenwood . I will still try the new usb stick I’ve bought today and let you know the outcome ..

well alpine at least do help ! They are quick to reply and are sending me a usb stick with the files on .
So im pleased that they give a shit about their customers... unlike kenwood . I will still try the new usb stick I’ve bought today and let you know the outcome ..
Yeah i know. At least they give you a shit not like kenwood. Same here too. I still cant believe kenwood responsed your car was too dusty...lol. what do they expect? Total dumbass. Yeah let me know later the outcome with using different usb stick. Curious to know how it went. Now am also comparing a few head units...lol

Yeah i know. At least they give you a shit not like kenwood. Same here too. I still cant believe kenwood responsed your car was too dusty...lol. what do they expect? Total dumbass. Yeah let me know later the outcome with using different usb stick. Curious to know how it went. Now am also comparing a few head units...lol
Ok so it was the memory sticks ! Perhaps memory sticks from a few years back don’t want to play with these units . I used a brand new Sony usb c / a stick and it’s working fine ! Will update to report back if the bugs have gone or not .. I think it also updates maps .. but not sure.
Ok just tested and none of the major bugs I’m looking to fix have gone.. it’s exactly the same only I’ve now lost the t6 logo on startup .. just great

Last edited:
OMG it is memory stick. I thought didnt make any difference. Oh i remember when i updated my kenwood i had to buy a new memory stick. Glad you sorted it out anyway

Ok update .. the main weight of the firmware update is with navigation .. that’s certainly changed the other bugs are making more sense ie volume levels using various sources in car play . So I think it’s better . Time will tell

And please do let me know regarding alpine primo navigation compared to Kenwood garmin. Which one is better to use since i never used primo before

Well I hardly use it but I like what I’ve seen so far and the polite speed limit warnings can be helpful .. I mainly use Apple car play and Apple maps Waze google maps etc but having the built in running at the same time is kind of cool .. so far so good

There’s a firmware update for the 9190 on the Kenwood site. I used a scabby old usb stick I had kicking around and updated the unit in about 5 minutes. Nothing noticeable as far as I can see, the changes are supposed to included fixes for CarPlay and Android Auto.

I sat on the fence between the 9190 and the Halo, finally going for the Kenwood based on Absolute’s recommendation, mine is dust free so far.

There’s a firmware update for the 9190 on the Kenwood site. I used a scabby old usb stick I had kicking around and updated the unit in about 5 minutes. Nothing noticeable as far as I can see, the changes are supposed to included fixes for CarPlay and Android Auto.

I sat on the fence between the 9190 and the Halo, finally going for the Kenwood based on Absolute’s recommendation, mine is dust free so far.
Hope it stays dust free .. maybe some are ok but basically I was told in a note from the repair centre the units simply are not air tight . Therefore it’s pretty obvious dust can get in there .. I guess some don’t mind but at the price of the units personally I don’t expect to see dust under the screen .. in my case within a couple of months using it ..

For 9180 there was only one update so far. But there's never GPS update. Have you got any GPS update? The funny thing, sometimes there's a message in the unit that's telling me to do the map update. I wanted to but how? There's no map update

Regarding dust, you should wait until 2 years. Mine lasted for 2 years dust free..lol. Since yours is 9190 which is 2019 one, you should wait until next year. Like I have mentioned, mine isn't that bad either. It's on right hand corner only. Osman one is quite bad (based on his pictures) and it's only a few months old. I still can't believe it's not air tight. I thought i wasn't the only who got this dust problem until I googled it and found this forum and was surprised a few people got them too...hahahaha

Well I hardly use it but I like what I’ve seen so far and the polite speed limit warnings can be helpful .. I mainly use Apple car play and Apple maps Waze google maps etc but having the built in running at the same time is kind of cool .. so far so good
Wooow, you must have spent a fortune buying this Halo 9 with GPS. OMG

For 9180 there was only one update so far. But there's never GPS update. Have you got any GPS update? The funny thing, sometimes there's a message in the unit that's telling me to do the map update. I wanted to but how? There's no map update

There’s no map update as far as I can tell, firmware updates and map updates are separate. I use Google anyway, free updates and live traffic etc.

If I get any dust I’ll find a way to remove the fascia or use an air duster etc.

Oh okay. Cool. Thanks for letting me know since there is no map update either here in Australia. Good idea with air duster thing. I might try it as well

That’s great you can get it sorted.....just wish the screen didn’t smudge so much ( forever wiping it). But it’s a great bit of kit :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is there nothing out there, like a phone screen cover for our touch screens? Certainly save on scratches.

An untapped market???

Is there nothing out there, like a phone screen cover for our touch screens? Certainly save on scratches.

An untapped market???
Hi... Did the cover thing on my iPhone ...just became slightly unresponsive as a touch screen ...Wife says I’ve greasy fingers :(

Back