Kenwood Head Unit DNX9190dabs dust under screen

@VanDamMan I have a glass one on my iPhone and don’t notice any difference.

Morning All - new to the party but was lined up to get a DNX9190DABS for my T5.1 in the next few weeks when I saw your posts about dust under the screen.

It's a serious concern to me so I've started looking again at the alternatives.

Anybody got any thoughts or experience of the Alpine X803D-U?

It comes with a vehicle specific fitting kit and looks like it integrates with all the van's functions. Not HD or WIFI but slightly larger screen.
Maybe not quite so much for your money (no HD/WIFI) as the Kenwood but the dust issue would make any advantage the Kenwood has on paper disappear in real world use.

Morning All - new to the party but was lined up to get a DNX9190DABS for my T5.1 in the next few weeks when I saw your posts about dust under the screen.

It comes with a vehicle specific fitting kit and looks like it integrates with all the van's functions. Not HD or WIFI but slightly larger screen.
Maybe not quite so much for your money (no HD/WIFI) as the Kenwood but the dust issue would make any advantage the Kenwood has on paper disappear in real world use.

Don’t know about this particular unit but I ended up with the alpine halo after a year of torture dealing with Kenwood .. eventually getting a full refund .
I purchased direct from alpine U.K. and their support has been excellent . Right down to tipping me about connecting to the existing gps aerial in the drivers side wing mirror . As it’s better than their own gps aerial.
The first unit they supplied however had a fault ! But they were really good with support and sent me a new unit without waiting for the old unit sent back first ! I just swapped them over . And sent the old one back .
Honestly after dealing with both companies / products .. I would not touch kenwood ever again ..
I can’t say as I’m exactly that impressed with any of the current head units .. they could all do with far higher resolution and faster processing.
But the alpine is well built and reliable ( now I have one that works properly ) GPS is far more reliable than my iPhone.
The dust issue with the Kenwood units is pathetic how the hell they can charge the money they do and suggest that dust under the screen is acceptable is just madness .

Bit more googling - seems some people think the Alpine X803 is a bit slow/unresponsive.
Guess right now, the Kenwood is the kiddy when it's not faulty - faster processor, higher def screen, plus wifi.
Really don't know what to do now.
Take a chance with the Kenwood or keep looking?
I'd be gutted to spend so much and get a faulty screen.

I also have a big build up of dust under the screen on my dmx8019dabs. Anyone know of any services to get it cleaned? Getting nowhere with Kenwood.

Last edited:
I also have a big build up of dust under the screen on my dmx8019dabs. Anyone know of any services to get it cleaned? Getting nowhere with Kenwood.
Kenwood are simply the worst company I’ve ever had the misfortune of buying from .

Kenwood are simply the worst company I’ve ever had the misfortune of buying from .
I've found somewhere that will clean all the dust out and seal it up so it doesn't happen again. Not cheap but worth it IMO, can't stand all the dust on the inside.

I've found somewhere that will clean all the dust out and seal it up so it doesn't happen again. Not cheap but worth it IMO, can't stand all the dust on the inside.
Nice one .. but still how do Kenwood get away with a product of this price range that allows dust under the screen its ridiculous. I had the sat nav version which was something like £1200 ! And then Kenwood basically accused me of having a dusty vehicle when it needed to be “ repaired “ numerous times until I said I want a refund. These things are a PITA when you have to keep pulling your dashboard apart to fit them and replace them .. I’ve gone back to the original vw unit .. there is nothing on the market that Excites me enough to go through the hell of installing it . I had the alpine halo next that went back as the sat nav kept failing and it had the noisiest fan I’ve ever heard ! .. the audio sounded great but over the noise of the fan when parked up was really annoying .

Back