Just A Warning For T6 Euro 6 Diesel Owners

Insert Coin

VIP Member
T6 Legend
An idiot that works for me came into the office last night to tell me that he only had 45 miles left until his adblue ran out, he lives 40 miles away...

So after administering a proper good bollocking I told him to stop off at Halfrauds around the corner and fill his van up, his van has been topped up at least twice with adblue, he's had it from new.

I get a call 15 minutes later to tell me he has broken down about 100ft down the road from Halfords, despite multiple attempts at restarting the van it just won't fire up.

So you must have guessed by now what he's done?

12 litres of adblue in the diesel tank.

Quote attached is just for the fuel system, main dealer want permission to strip the engine and see if the engine has suffered damage or is contaminated.

Needless to say the employee is now an ex-employee.

Be careful out their folks.

Attachments

• DWP.pdf
    80.9 KB · Views: 366
jeez,

though that quote looks like NEW everything . . . . . . . . .

you might be ok with a full fuel system flush through and new filters.

any idea how much derv was in the tank when he added the 12ltrs of addblue.

hopefully the add-blue just diluted the derv down so low it was incombustible.

(100yrds from halfords might have been the remaining fuel in the rail/pump and supply pipes)

Fingers crossed for you.

jeez,

though that quote looks like NEW everything . . . . . . . . .

you might be ok with a full fuel system flush through and new filters.

any idea how much derv was in the tank when he added the 12ltrs of addblue.

hopefully the add-blue just diluted the derv down so low it was incombustible.

(100yrds from halfords might have been the remaining fuel in the rail/pump and supply pipes)

Fingers crossed for you.

I think Breeze are being ultra cautious, it's leased from them so they are unlikely to want to cut any corners if it bites them on the arse at a later date. They also know it's an insurance job, so again no incentive to trim costs if they don't have to.
But at the same time they will not rip me off as I have another 11 T6's from them and are looking to replace 10-15 Transits next year, so they will look after me to a point.

btw, on the estimate it says your T6 is a T26!? I thought they only came in T28-30-32 ?

Yep, they do a T26, it's the cheapest one to lease, usually. There's no point getting my guys anything fancy for the reasons above.

people make mistakes.
i doubt you'd fire your best employee on a mistake like that though...
so might have been the straw that broke the camel.

Maybe, only maybe, the moral to this story is to only fill add-blue from a dispenser and not a filling station pump. Just saying.

people make mistakes.
i doubt you'd fire your best employee on a mistake like that though...
so might have been the straw that broke the camel.

To be fair he's a great plumber, but I can't have guys making mistakes like that, I'd be out of business if they all did things like this.

If in doubt, walk 20 steps back inside Halfords and ask somebody or RTFM. Nobody taught me how to fill my T6 or gave me a guided tour on the complexities of filling my adblue tank and yet I've managed to fill mine up ok as have another 11 drivers.

My analogy was this guy rides a decent motorbike at the weekends, if I was to borrow it and put water in the fuel tank and blow the engine I wonder how he would feel about it?

Some people just don't give a toss about other people's property, whereas I treat other peoples stuff like it's my own.

Maybe, only maybe, the moral to this story is to only fill add-blue from a dispenser and not a filling station pump. Just saying.

He filled it from a couple of 5ltr containers, I think you're more likely to put an adblue pump nozzle into the fuel tank than from a container?

:eek: Blimey, I trust you'd given him sufficient training on the van you supplied @Insert Coin. I can see tribunal lawyers rubbing their hands already :confused:

:eek: Blimey, I trust you'd given him sufficient training on the van you supplied @Insert Coin. I can see tribunal lawyers rubbing their hands already :confused:

I can see that will be a route he will try and take, but he's a 62 year old bloke with plenty of mechanical experience, we are wandering if he did it intentionally, but obviously can't prove it.

bit harsh if it was his first inattention mistake.
would be a bit like firing him for rear ending another driver once...

Yes, you could look at it like that, but people that crash my vans don't get an easy life either and our HR lady is confident we have enough to nail him on gross misconduct/negligence.

To be fair he's a great plumber, but I can't have guys making mistakes like that, I'd be out of business if they all did things like this.

If in doubt, walk 20 steps back inside Halfords and ask somebody or RTFM. Nobody taught me how to fill my T6 or gave me a guided tour on the complexities of filling my adblue tank and yet I've managed to fill mine up ok as have another 11 drivers.

My analogy was this guy rides a decent motorbike at the weekends, if I was to borrow it and put water in the fuel tank and blow the engine I wonder how he would feel about it?

Some people just don't give a toss about other people's property, whereas I treat other peoples stuff like it's my own.

He filled it from a couple of 5ltr containers, I think you're more likely to put an adblue pump nozzle into the fuel tank than from a container?
You’re probs right. I’ve not had the t6 long enough to top up the add blue yet, and with recently having swapped the car from diesel to petrol, I’m thinking ‘I’ve gotta be careful here as I’ve 3 separate tanks which all take different stuff’. I’m like a t**t at the fuel station when I fill the car now. Check, double check and check again. It almost makes me nervous filling up!

There is a story in the States where some how ‘as blu’ Or similar got into a fuel truck at an airport which then fuelled a business jet. The engines on the Biz Jet did the same as the van in post 1, luckily the jet had three engines, one of which kept running long enough for the pilots to land.

Nervous flyers should take comfort that this was a biz jet and commercial flights in Europe are subject to VERY stringent checks on fuel.

Close Call for Falcon with DEF-contaminated Fuel

Back