Is updating to a lifepo4 battery worth it.

AussieMick

T6 Guru
After using an agm 120ah leisure battery for about 3 years, I decided to take the plunge and install a 150ah lifepo4 battery last December 2020.
After using it on several trips away I feel I can now give my opinion on whether spending 3 to 4 times the price for a lithium battery was a worthwhile addition.
This battery is at least 20+ kilos lighter and charges much quicker than my agm did. I have been in 40c+ for days on end with no problem.
I can draw it down to 5 to 10 percent soc without damage but even in hot weather with the fridge running flat out I have never been lower than 40% soc.
Often with the solar panels I have the battery is back to 100% by mid morning which is great for continuous off grid travel.
When I am at home I keep the battery connected to a dedicated lifepo4 battery charger as I want it hopefully to last a long time.
My feelings are that if you do a lot of off grid camping/travel going to a lifepo4 lithium battery is the way to go not withstanding the high initial price.
They should work out cheaper in the long run as they are meant to outlast agm batteries many times over but time will tell if this is true for me.
So I think going lithium lifepo4 for me was worth it as it solved my power problems for off grid travel.

Good Shout @AussieMick

its nice to get some real world feedback. (especially in a hot environment)

im a Lifepo4 convert already (as you know) . . . . my challenge is now to convince end users and converters alike that its the future.

++++

++++

Great write up…..Weight saving gets my vote…interesting times as batteries get cheaper and new chemistry batteries are on the horizon……only hope Solar technology keeps developing…Win..Win …for off grid camping :)

Forgot to mention I also added another fixed solar panel so now have around 280w permanently feeding into the battery when the sun is out.
This has kept my lifepo4 battery charged back to 100% easily on my latest travels.
I am not a particularly heavy power user, 2 fridges ( only on extended trips)1 for food,1 for drinks, lights, usb charging for phones, kindles etc.
I still have to take a solar blanket in real hot weather as have to park in the shade to keep van comfortable.
With enough solar panels and a decent battery and sunshine, power for endless touring is certainly possible

Good point
I had heard that so I emailed the battery manufacturer (Amptron) who said I could leave it on charge permanently with a lifepo4 lithium battery charger. I use an Amptron lifepo4 battery charger just to be sure, same make as battery.
My fridge in the van is always running so I am always drawing something from the battery.
I dont know if this is applicable to all lifepo4 batteries.
For long term disconnected storage I think I would still leave it partially discharged though.

Last edited:
I suggest following the specific battery manufacturers documentation 100% otherwise:
1. Reliability could be affected.
2. Guarantee could be void.
3. Things could go bang, there is a much higher energy density compared with an AGM etc.

The old Valence battery I have requires the software to be running (laptop connected) while charging to activate the cell balancing.

If the correct voltage limit is set for the lifepo4 lithium battery you are charging, there should be no issue leaving a lifepo4 lithium battery on the charger.

I have a Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12/30(1) 230V (there are others) and whilst in my garage just leave it connected to battery. I have done loads of reading about this and using the correct charger works.

Furthermore, I fully agree with DXX remarks above.

Back