Lithium charger question

widu13

Retired Bobby
T6 Guru
Hi All,

I've just scored a 120AH lithium for £197 delivered (which I thought was worth a punt) from Aliexpress 213.8£ 50% OFF|12V 100Ah 120AH LiFePO4 Battery 12.8V Lithium Power Batteries 4000 Cycles For RV Campers Golf Cart Off Road Off grid Solar Wind| | - AliExpress

IMG_20220725_130907_(900_x_900_pixel).jpgIMG_20220725_130835_(900_x_900_pixel).jpg

I rarely use mains, but I do occasionally use it. Now I know a lithium charger would be BEST, but am I going to actually harm the battery if I just carry on using my CBE CB-516 in AGM mode? Web research seems to suggest no, but not the "best" charge. (I have a lithium profile B2B as well).

Thoughts?

Reactions: CAB
Hi All,

I've just scored a 120AH lithium for £197 delivered (which I thought was worth a punt) from Aliexpress 213.8£ 50% OFF|12V 100Ah 120AH LiFePO4 Battery 12.8V Lithium Power Batteries 4000 Cycles For RV Campers Golf Cart Off Road Off grid Solar Wind| | - AliExpress

View attachment 166528View attachment 166529

I rarely use mains, but I do occasionally use it. Now I know a lithium charger would be BEST, but am I going to actually harm the battery if I just carry on using my CBE516 in AGM mode? Web research seems to suggest no, but not the "best" charge. (I have a lithium profile B2B as well).

Thoughts?
Happy reading...

Last edited:
Already read that, but doesn't answer the question definitively? Unless I've missed it of course. :oops:

Already read that, but doesn't answer the question definitively? Unless I've missed it of course. :oops:
Buried in there somewhere I'm sure it says what you alluded to above - no damage but not ideal. I think the thing you need to be wary of is that the battery isn't overcharged (in excess of 14.6v I *think* I read - best check that though).

EDIT: Not sure you'll get a definitive answer without testing 2 identical batteries side-by-side, for their full lifetime, each with different chargers.

your battery above shows 14.6v max voltage and 20A max charge current.

so . . .

provided your charger stays under those levels you will be ok.

lithium's charge better when the charger max is set a bit lower - say 14.2v - this helps stop the "cell high voltage" bms triggering. ( assuming that battery even has a bms at6 that price?)

it gives a better consistent charge.

so the question now is - what ehu charger have you got?

Cheers that's been the result of my research so far, but I am struggling to find evidence. Mind you at less than £200 it's cheap enough to gamble with!

your battery above shows 14.6v max voltage and 20A max charge current.

so . . .

provided your charger stays under those levels you will be ok.

lithium's charge better when the charger max is set a bit lower - say 14.2v - this helps stop the "cell high voltage" bms triggering. ( assuming that battery even has a bms at6 that price?)

it gives a better consistent charge.

so the question now is - what ehu charger have you got?

Yes, it does have a BMS and it appears that my CBE CB-516 is within the wish list spec, which is confusing when CBE also offer a Lithium version of the same charger!

The specs on the 516 are:

1658754015918.png

looks ok then . . ?

14.3v max in bulk @ 16A

and 13.5/8v on float.

it doesn't mention about smart charging profile? - is it a smart charger?

or a plain dumb 16A charger?

got a pic?

ok . . . should be ok then.

but the first few charge cycles i would keep a very close eye on the charger, battery, and temps etc. . .

@widu13 Any chance of an update? Has this cheap lithium battery worked out for you?
Sorry holiday plans have changed and we haven't yet been away with it, but yes it is working. It's powered the compressor fridge over a weekend test and was charged by the solar input...all seems good!

Sorry holiday plans have changed and we haven't yet been away with it, but yes it is working. It's powered the compressor fridge over a weekend test and was charged by the solar input...all seems good!
Cool. Thanks for the update. I guess it could go either way… or could take 5 years before it shows that it might not last as long as a name brand battery. Let us know!

Are you still getting on ok with the Cbe 516 charging the lithium battery? I’ve just bought a renogy lithium battery and looking for a way to charge with 240v hook up. Without having to buy the 522 lithium version (for now).

Then get one of the Victron chargers with a lithium profile?

This may help:

Back