Is this DMF failure?

PullersSWK

Hi Guys.

Opinions please…..

Would you suggest this noise is DMF failure?

It had one at VW approx 30k ago, DSG, doesn’t have any effect on function of the van as yet, bit strange if it’s going already!

Would you replace this asap?

Vans done 123k so worth doing a clutch pack to?

Full history with DSG oil changes and flywheel previously.

Cheers

Hi Rolla,

Thanks for this.

Can I ask, just for my own knowledge mate, why leave the clutch alone?

Thanks buddy

Chris

Hi Chris, for a moment I thought I'd posted wrong... but no, If your "wet" clutch is working fine, leave alone, un-warranted expense
are there any reasons for swap except having it all apart is a major bill..?
I don't know the lifespan of the DSG wet clutch packs, but have seen vehicles with twice your mileage, you can read the gearbox ecu with VCDS, what I have seen fail on 250k+ vehicles is the mechatronics valves stick/fail/throw codes ...... thats if it's not chewed it's o/s driveshaft and diff up...... mine driveshaft splines went at 142K ... now it's got 4motion so I hope my DMF lasts.
**note... if you remove the wet cover, throw it away, input shaft seals compromised and will leak.!
I had that on mine as I wasn't informed it had been removed, the seal tool and clutch cover is only £50-60 from vw commercials... only issue is gearbox out again, so new oil, subframe bolts and sore as working on floor ... lol

Last edited:
Hi Chris, for a moment I thought I'd posted wrong... but no, If your "wet" clutch is working fine, leave alone, un-warranted expense
are there any reasons for swap except having it all apart is a major bill..?
I don't know the lifespan of the DSG wet clutch packs, but have seen vehicles with twice your mileage, you can read the gearbox ecu with VCDS, what I have seen fail on 250k+ vehicles is the mechatronics valves stick/fail/throw codes ...... thats if it's not chewed it's o/s driveshaft and diff up...... mine driveshaft splines went at 142K ... now it's got 4motion so I hope my DMF lasts.
**note... if you remove the wet cover, throw it away, input shaft seals compromised and will leak.!
I had that on mine as I wasn't informed it had been removed, the seal tool and clutch cover is only £50-60 from vw commercials... only issue is gearbox out again, so new oil, subframe bolts and sore as working on floor ... lol
That’s awesome (good news for my wallet)

Everydays a school day! Thanks buddy.

Yes that’s the DMF and even though you could probably drive with it like that it won’t get any better. Clutch wise for a DSG, that’s inside the gearbox and costs a lot, as it’s a wet clutch in a T6. But Iwould get the DMF ireplaced sooner rather than later. To avoid further damage
Hi Guys.

Opinions please…..

Would you suggest this noise is DMF failure?

It had one at VW approx 30k ago, DSG, doesn’t have any effect on function of the van as yet, bit strange if it’s going already!

Would you replace this asap?

Vans done 123k so worth doing a clutch pack to?

Full history with DSG oil changes and flywheel previously.

Cheers

Had same kind of noise. It was the auxiliary drive belt.
I would advice you check it before unnecessary changing the DMF.
On my van, 225000 km, DMF was still good to go.

Back