Is this Campervan worth the advertised price?

It's really subjective. Depends on who did the conversion, the base spec, the condition, etc.

Generally, the way to value is find a comparable and add or subtract value depending on what's extra or missing. Obviously, standard valuations like WBAV don't work due to the individuality.

Have a look at vans for sale on this forum in the last 3 months. That should give you a set of comparison figures.

Pete

Hi all,

Long-time lurker and now first time poster!

Firstly, can I say what an incredible forum this is! It's full of so many helpful people who are very knowledgeable and best off all, people are allowed different and contrasting opinions which is so rare on the Internet thesedays. And thats what helps makes this such a great place. So thank you!

And now, we'd like to turn to you good folk for help navigating the wonderful world of secondhand campervans.

We are a family of 4 with two young boys and are looking to upgrade our camping trips with a VW Camper. Over the last 10 years we've hired Californias and come close to buying twice but found that the time wasn't quite right. Now in the post-covid, hyper inflation world, it feels that if we wait for prices to come back down, we'll be waiting ages with no guarantee they will to return to historic levels.

So after months of research, we have found 2 campervans that meet our requirements but pose slightly different compromises. One is older with a higher spec conversion, the other is newer with less extras. They are both advertised at the same price and come with swivel driver & passenger captain chairs, a RIB bed & tailgate.

T6 Startline 102hp
2019 with very low miles
Air con
Heated rear window with wiper
Body work upgrades (colour coded bumpers, front splitter, rear spoiler & side bars.)
19 inch alloys

Cons
No MFSW
No cruise control
No SatNav or App connect
Only rear parking sensor

Conversion
High quality conversion from small reputable company (~£25k build cost)
Webasto diesel heater and thermostat
Reimo Pop top roof with integrated bed
Double gas hob and sink

Bonus items (good to have but not a priority)
Solar panel
Hot water with shower outlet
Removable tow hitch (we'd use this for a bike carrier)

Cons
Pop top isnt a scenic canvas

T6.1 Highline 110hp
2021 with very few miles
Usual T6.1 Highline spec inc. MFSW, adaptive cruise control and front & rear parking sensors etc
App connect

Cons
Standard T6.1 with no bodywork upgrade
Standard 16" alloys

Conversion
Bespoke conversion from more than one company (basically a self managed build to suit previous owner)
Drivelodge pop top roof with scenic canvas

Bonus kit
Additional over bed storage
Memory foam mattress

Cons
Diesel Wallace hob & heater (we're nervous about this as we're familiar with blown air diesel heaters)
Build quality looks good but not in the same league as the T6 above

Both would meet our requirements, but each with compromise. The van would be my daily driver as I'll be selling my Audi A4 Black Edition to help fund it, so I'm keen to have something smart looking to drive. However we're at the top of our budget and won't have the funds left to upgrade the T6.1

Thank you in advance to anyone who feels like sharing their thoughts on our conundrum.

Are they both T30 or T32? And LWB or SWB?
Are you planning on upgrading suspension/ARB? If not it would be worth test driving both and seeing which one you enjoy more. I daily my T6 camper(reimo roof) and the coilovers and ARB were the best investment.
As part of the test drives, pay attention to cabin noise, as both conversions may not have the same level of sound deadening and insulation.
For the T6 cons, the mfsw and cruise control can be retrofitted. There are guides on this forum with the details if you want to diy.
For the T6.1, I would put the wallace hob in the bonus kit. I haven't been able to justify the price for any of my conversions yet but I'm sure it will make it into one of my next one's. Will be great to get away from the hassle and expense of campingaz.

Are they both T30 or T32? And LWB or SWB?
Are you planning on upgrading suspension/ARB? If not it would be worth test driving both and seeing which one you enjoy more. I daily my T6 camper(reimo roof) and the coilovers and ARB were the best investment.
As part of the test drives, pay attention to cabin noise, as both conversions may not have the same level of sound deadening and insulation.
For the T6 cons, the mfsw and cruise control can be retrofitted. There are guides on this forum with the details if you want to diy.
For the T6.1, I would put the wallace hob in the bonus kit. I haven't been able to justify the price for any of my conversions yet but I'm sure it will make it into one of my next one's. Will be great to get away from the hassle and expense of campingaz.
Both are T28s (LOL, I thought I had covered all the important specs!)

I'd love to get the ride sorted but wouldn't have the funds for a while. And Im not sure Mrs Mule would be pleased if I spent another few grand on the wheels and suspension.

Apart from the lack of gas, why did you think the Wallace is a bonus? Having never used one, I was assuming the heat output is from the mid point of the van and therfore leaves a colder zone below waste height.

5 sp vs 6sp too?

Newer one. But I'd echo the test drive comment. I'd had a T6 converted, then a stock kombi T32, so didn't bother to test drive the 6.1 camper. Just had to go get it fixed to make it remotely nice to drive... 700 miles on the clock.

Newer van with the extra years warranty Don’t be put off by the 16 inch alloys- you won’t see them when you’re driving!!
Thanks for replying. A newer van was my original preference but I've always wanted a sportier looking van hence the older T6 is a worthy consideration.

Like most people, my wallet doesn't stretch to meet my desires

My better half was not too pleased about having to upgrade an eyewateringly expensive van either.

5 sp vs 6sp too?

Newer one. But I'd echo the test drive comment. I'd had a T6 converted, then a stock kombi T32, so didn't bother to test drive the 6.1 camper. Just had to go get it fixed to make it remotely nice to drive... 700 miles on the clock.
Damn, another spec missed above... Both are 5 speed manuals.

Test driving is going to be tough because they're hundreds of mile apart. I've driven a T6 and a T6.1 so hadn't been too concerned by test driving in advance, but I hadn't considered the difference in sound deadening.

Damn, another spec missed above... Both are 5 speed manuals.

Test driving is going to be tough because they're hundreds of mile apart. I've driven a T6 and a T6.1 so hadn't been too concerned by test driving in advance, but I hadn't considered the difference in sound deadening.
Def worth driving both. Sound and drive could be surprisingly different. But if they aren’t much different in that regard, the newer one wins hands down for me and has a better base van spec.

As others have said, you can always mod the 6.1 later when funds allow, but you can never make the other one 2 years younger

Newer van - still in warranty.

Wheels can be changed, bling can be stuck on!

Another for the newer one! If funds allow always best to go for best spec base van you can! Outside features like body paint,spoilers and alloys are the easiest things to do as and when budget allows

If it’s your daily driver all those little extra comforts will make a big difference or it would for me

Deffo the newer van. Because of age and warranty for sure, but mainly because it’s a highline. Mine is my daily driver and I wouldn’t want to be looking at that basic dash and no mfsw. Also the stereo with nav and app connect. It’s lovely to drive.
You can put up with the suspension until funds allow. It’s a van after all, not a hot hatch.

Back