Is the Reverse Light Cable the same as the door sensor cable?

Vdubster

Hello everybody,

Not so long ago ( transporter t6 2019 barn door ) the little van on my dash kept telling me the back door was open ( it wasn't ) sent to vw, they said cable from front to back has got damaged, installed the new one at the front, and told me where to connect at the rear ( yet to do this due to having to remove everything to hide the wire ) so obvously van door isnt telling the front mfd when the back door is open/closed ( no biggie atm ) However after a trip to vw last week they told me I dont have any reversing lights... can any one tell me if this is due to the rear door sensor wire I still have unplugged or if its a total separate issue and could be that not only is my rear door sensor wire damaged but also other wires running the same route?

( common sense says with me having that one rear sensor door wire unplugged still that it would make sense that its the same cable to active reverse lights ) however you know what thought did and I am more than likely completely wrong? if any one can advise before vw have my pants down that would be really great.

Hello mate.

How did they come to the conclusion it was a wire that was broke? Did they do any fault finding? It's unlikely if I'm honest it's more likely a connection, earth or BCM issue.

If you have lost reverse lights too I'd say possibly an earth issue but without looking at the lighting wiring diagram I can't really say.

Also do you have standard halogen lights front and rear or LED?

I'd say check the earth's.

Right tail light cluster and the door lock contact both share earth point connection 87 which is in the main wiring harness it'll be a crimp joint but eventually becomes 654 which is the earth point behind the panel above the rear right (offside) wheel

Screenshot_20221205_210501_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_210558_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_210907_Drive.jpg

Think both wires are green/black, seems slightly coincidental !!

Hello mate.

How did they come to the conclusion it was a wire that was broke? Did they do any fault finding? It's unlikely if I'm honest it's more likely a connection, earth or BCM issue.

If you have lost reverse lights too I'd say possibly an earth issue but without looking at the lighting wiring diagram I can't really say.

Also do you have standard halogen lights front and rear or LED?
Thank you for the reply, im not 100% sure, I had a problem of intermittent van popping up on the screen telling me the back doors were opening and closing constantly and hazards coming on randomly in the night, so I took it in and explained, they basically said the wire that runs through the van to the door sensor had been damaged so they disconnected, installed a new one, ( but its currently rolled up under my front seat ) as he said he couldn't dismantle the van and hide the wire for me ( fair enough ) and showed me what connection I. needed to plug it in to when I get round to it, ( no mention or notice of the reverse lights not working tbh ) only weeks later did I notice the reverse lights not working... so im not sure if its a problem from the same time or a more recent issue that has started, obviously when thinking about it I remember I haven't hooked the wire back up so was fingers crossed hoping that is why im having the issue as everything else seems to work fine?

I have leds all round, front rear and side, and number plate lights,
I'd say check the earth's.

Right tail light cluster and the door lock contact both share earth point connection 87 which is in the main wiring harness it'll be a crimp joint but eventually becomes 654 which is the earth point behind the panel above the rear right (offside) wheel

View attachment 181210

View attachment 181211

View attachment 181212
Thank you for the diagrams although a little is over my head, I have done a self conversion and managed to complete the project but I would say I am still barely anything but a novice. are you saying that potentially the earth for this connection has come lose or damaged in some way.

When you say the earth point above the right rear wheel....are you saying the connection there has a potential issue? thinking about it I feel from memory I might of earthed something else to this point in this area which is now covered by a. kitchen...., could doing this potentially cause the problem? ( me earthing something else to this point, not the kitchen lol ) thanks for all your help.

Potentially but not guaranteed it more than likely could be 653 with it being a barn door but difficult to say.

Any further information on what could wire and which plug/pin it went to and what to disconnect would be good. As @Pauly say they are both the same coloured wire so has the tech disconnected the wrong one?

Does the door still show as open?

Have you any test equipment like a multimeter? Have you got VCDS or anything similar?

Back