Is It Gone Forever!?

Get the thinnest metal ruler you can buy and cover both sides on one end in the most aggressive double sided tape you can get (contractor strength carpet tape is good) I used this a few times on my old T5 to fish things out.

My worry here is - whenever I use something like superglue I always end up gluing myself - you know that panic where you realise you've superglued yourself, ignore the pain barrier and tear several layers of skin off to ensure no permanent adhesion. I love my van but fear permanet attachment using this method.

any update on this? on the edge of my seat here

It's on a boat from China - and of course a slow one at that. I will update once arrived, between us all i'm sure there is a winning solution here...

Sounds like this could turn into a hollywood blockbuster.. what a mission this sounds.

Sounds like this could turn into a hollywood blockbuster.. what a mission this sounds.

OK, I know you've all been waiting... The key is RETRIEVED! Hoorah!

The boat from China was very fast - arrived whilst I was away last week. It was too dark to try last night, instead had to pass the time with amusing camera use such as Dog's nostril etc (kid's suggestion that was, honest!)

I had major plans - record it - dramatic music etc to get the blockbuster effect. Only the App the camera suggests to use isn't available, the one I downloaded didn't allow recording - booo.

Basically the camera allowed me to see where it was, use the hook to pull it up and a pair of tweezers to grab. Cue large satisfied smile. Camera was £6ish, replacement key £14 so money saved - totally ignoring the several hours of my time trying various methods to remove.

I know you will all rest easy now. I ordered the TravellinLite rubber seal - great fit and done in about 10 seconds - crucially covers the gap perfectly.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

I wanted a better ending. Finding the key fair enough, but the camera finding something sinister down there................. Like a vauxhall badge.

I wanted a better ending. Finding the key fair enough, but the camera finding something sinister down there................. Like a vauxhall badge.

Sorry... Nothing sinister - although an odd combination of a sweet wrapper (dull) and slightly more exciting - a dead wasp! I couldn't waste more time retrieving these so they are sealed in - forever - well probably until later when I know it will annoy me and irritate me so I will have to get them out...

This episode also confirmed if I were a surgeon my patients would be very poorly - no steady hand - even kept getting confused which was the right way round, so defo no key hole heart surgery from me.

But what happens when the wasp wakes up from its hibernation?
Great result getting the key out though. I have to say I did think you were going to have to resort to taking the dash out.

Back