Insurance mileage restrictions

Domus

VIP Member
Have a T6 self-build camper and looking for new insurance but been told by a broker that the maximum I can get is 12,000 miles and if I go over by a single mile, my policy will revert from fully comp to third party only!
This is rather prohibitive since we are planning roadtrip through Western Europe and Morocco.
Would anyone have experienced this before?
Any suggestions? Thanks

check out @Pauly list here:

Each insurer (and each brand within an insurer) will have its own unique limits, Ts&Cs and pricing structure - each one different and each one aimed at a specific segment of the market - so blanket statements that purport to describe the whole insurance market are not appropriate. What your broker probably means is "none of the insurers we deal with will allow annual mileage in excess of 12k" - hence my comment to go to another broker.

Last edited:
Each insurer (and each brand within an insurer) will have its own unique limits, Ts&Cs and pricing structure - each one different and each one aimed at a specific segment of the market - so blanket statements that purport to describe the whole insurance market are not appropriate. What your broker probably means is "none of the insurers we deal with will allow annual mileage in excess of 12k" - hence my comment to go to another broker.
Thank you, makes sense

Reactions: Bav
Try A Plan (Thatcham branch) very accommodating with upgrades and modifications, I only asked for 10k miles, I would have thought your rate would be based on your expected mileage, have a word with them, very helpful folk.

We've just renewed with A Plan, £547.00 with motor legal and protected no claims, fully comp including business cover. Kombi converted to a campervan. Estimated value £46000, all mods covered. 10000 miles PA. I didn't get a better quote and was refused a quote from some, including the Caravan and Motorhome Club??

We've just renewed with A Plan, £547.00 with motor legal and protected no claims, fully comp including business cover. Kombi converted to a campervan. Estimated value £46000, all mods covered. 10000 miles PA. I didn't get a better quote and was refused a quote from some, including the Caravan and Motorhome Club??
Did you get an agreed value Dave? Or just a promise they will look after you like I did?!

• Wow
Did you get an agreed value Dave? Or just a promise they will look after you like I did?!
Beware - brokers speak with forked tongues!!!

Even if your broker has genuine intent, they're still writing cheques they can't honour - it's the insurer who will be doing the paying and they never pay out on a Market Value policy more than what they perceive the market value to be.

Even if your broker has genuine intent, they're still writing cheques they can't honour - it's the insurer who will be doing the paying and they never pay out on a Market Value policy more than what they perceive the market value to be.
Hey @Bav , I could not get an agreed valuation out of them at all. I tried, but no. First year insurance thing? Anybody out there with an agreed value from A Plan?

Just been looking at some of the other threads on here about 'agreed value', I will talk to 'Plan-A' tomorrow and see if I can nail them down, especially as I have added a few more bits since my ownership began in January. Many thanks @Bav Top Bloke

I didn't get an agreed value in writing! Am interesting point. They do at least not down all the changes that have been made as I inform them so they're under no illusion it's still a stock Kombi. Like the rest of you I've a million photos to evidence all the changes etc.

I didn't get an agreed value in writing! Am interesting point. They do at least not down all the changes that have been made as I inform them so they're under no illusion it's still a stock Kombi. Like the rest of you I've a million photos to evidence all the changes etc.
We really need to nail them down. I'm off tomorrow and was going to spend it tanking a downstairs shower. Even Mrs Wayne would agree to me calling Plan-A instead. It took hours dear, call after call etc... (just practicing my excuses)

I am with CaravanGuard. They do not limit the mileage to below 12K. I was at 9K but found it wasn't enough. They increase in 2K limits so am now on 11K. I could go higher if I wanted. When I was getting close to the limit last year (thought I was going to pass the 11k mark - which I did, just), I just had to phone up and they'd up the limit for not a huge amount of money, but there was no real need for just a few miles.

Dave, when you say "...they are under no illusion..." is "they" the broker or the insurer? If it's the broker, you need to ensure they've passed this info on to the insurer. Even then, I'm highly sceptical that any insurer would pay out any more than market value in the event of a write-off. Obviously, I say this having not read your policy Ts&Cs, but it would be *very* unusual (to the point of being unheard of).

EDIT: The one exception I can think of is where you have a brand new van and the insurer offers, effectively, new for old for the first n months.

I am with CaravanGuard. They do not limit the mileage to below 12K. I was at 9K but found it wasn't enough. They increase in 2K limits so am now on 11K. I could go higher if I wanted. When I was getting close to the limit last year (thought I was going to pass the 11k mark - which I did, just), I just had to phone up and they'd up the limit for not a huge amount of money, but there was no real need for just a few miles.
I’ve already clocked 17+ K this year so I need something like 20k as planning for Morocco etc…

Back