• I have instant hot water and love it.

• A luxury I wish I had.

• Desirable but will make do with kettle

• Whats wrong with the Kettle

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bobbych

T6.1, Highline 150 DSG in conversion
T6 Pro
So I'm part way through my T6.1 conversion and I not need to purchase the Tap for my SMEV sink/Hob combo. Obviously there are cold only and Hot/Cold options which got me thinking about the need for Hot water. I guess the majority of the community boil a kettle on the Hob and that works fine. But I'm interested in a Hot water at the flick of a switch whick can be produced by a Tankless instant hot water heater. I can also install Shower head at the rear Tailgate if I chose this option.

So what are the thoughts of the community regarding the supply of hot water?

I have added a Poll with the following responses

1. I have instant hot water and love it.
2. A luxury I wish I had.
3. Desirable but will make do with kettle
4. Whats wrong with the Kettle

We have hot water but it's provided via a tank which can use either 12v (only when engine running) or 240v when on EHU - what we tend to do is flick the switch at the start of the journey to give us some hot water when we arrive and then use 240v on site. It is a nice to have but, after years of boiling a kettle for washing up whilst camping, we could live without it.

We have same as @Davenjo but our main use is for a small plug in shower near tailgate. Great for washing off after being at the beach!

Without the shower I’m not sure it would be worth it, we tend to wash up pots etc away from the van with site facilities.

For showers and laundry I use a Swedish army surplus stainless steel pot on my Wallas. It takes about 25 minutes to heat enough cold water for two decent showers.
It’s not instant but about the same time it takes to put my shower tent up, grab some clean clothes and crack a couple of beers.
If I‘m eating a meal I know the washing up will follow!! BoiIing the kettle while eating is a bit of a no brainer.
Instant isn’t a necessity by a long shot.

Last edited:
Also instantaneous hot water might be tricky even on hook up. I haven’t seen anything under 16a (generous EHU) that would give decent instant hot water. Most of the time you would get 10a or even 6a in Europe.

With domestic instantaneous hot water heaters even at 16/20amp they give a fairly low flow rate.

You may also need a specific tap to work with it.

Interested if there is something specific for campervans that would do the job though?

Preview
I should have been clearer in my Post.

IDABAY 1200W 6L Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater 2000Pa LPG Liquid Propane Gas Tankless Instant Hot Water with Shower Head Indoor Bathroom: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
Great prices on your favourite Home brands, and free delivery on eligible orders.
www.amazon.co.uk

The option I am looking at is along the same lines of the Aqua Cube that Loz mentions above.

This Propane fuelled heater only needs a D Cell battery to power the Piezoelectric ignition system to ignite the Propane from your bottle. I would need a dedicated 12v pump which when operating, a Tap or Shower valve is opened causes a drop in pressure in the heater which starts the heater. I would install this at the rear of my cabinets above the Propane tank enclosure. I do not necessarily endorse the heater linked, its just an example of many similar units available. I will already have a propane bottle and water supply so for me it makes having hot water at the flick of a switch much simpler and so much more attractive.

I see, gas makes sense! Worth it then if you already have that infrastructure in place and can afford the space taken up. :thumbsup:

Option 4 for me...Day van only

Use water container and fill up on site ...So water is always fresh ( but never use for drinking) ...How ever you store your water ( fixed or Mobil) always boil before use....lots of nasties live in water even when it looks clean..
sorry if that’s teaching you to suck eggs....lots of new campers are not aware that the container you put your water in , is as important as the water quality you use

I considered it during my conversion but after doing the maths the convertor told me it would be the same current draw as trying to power 8 fridges... if your on ehu only then not an issue but 99% of my use is wild camping... also it would of taken up a big chunk of cupboard space, which in my SWB i wasn't able to justify losing the space when I can boil the kettle..

Reactions: DXX
Option 4 for me...Day van only

Use water container and fill up on site ...So water is always fresh ( but never use for drinking) ...How ever you store your water ( fixed or Mobil) always boil before use....lots of nasties live in water even when it looks clean..
sorry if that’s teaching you to suck eggs....lots of new campers are not aware that the container you put your water in , is as important as the water quality you use
I use Milton in the van underslung tank for washing and water purification tablets in the portable containers for drinking water.
Nothing quite like somebody washing out their toilet cassette on the potable water tap to keep your mind on hygiene. I always spray the tap with kitchen surface cleaner before filling. We’ve taken water from some pretty grubby locations but so far still not been sick.

As DXX states we have also been using Milton for 11 years and same style cleaning regime and to date no illness.

So I'm part way through my T6.1 conversion and I not need to purchase the Tap for my SMEV sink/Hob combo. Obviously there are cold only and Hot/Cold options which got me thinking about the need for Hot water. I guess the majority of the community boil a kettle on the Hob and that works fine. But I'm interested in a Hot water at the flick of a switch whick can be produced by a Tankless instant hot water heater. I can also install Shower head at the rear Tailgate if I chose this option.

So what are the thoughts of the community regarding the supply of hot water?

I have added a Poll with the following responses

1. I have instant hot water and love it.
2. A luxury I wish I had.
3. Desirable but will make do with kettle
4. Whats wrong with the Kettle
I'm going to Shrewsbury next Friday and water heating is one of my problems, they are talking about electric heating 12volt/ 240 but what's wrong with Webasto Diesel heaters, at least you can have hot water whenever you want it, I'm after a rear shower outlet but will they do it.
I have noticed a World of difference in Converters when it comes to cost and what's included and what isn't.
Quite a lot are doing the rear shower outlet as standard along with underslung water tanks fof fresh and waste water but a lot aren't doing waste water tanks and fresh water tanks inside.
There's very little room in VW campers to start with without filling the cupboards with water tanks etc.
I priced new vw from a VW dealer 2 years ago and I was quoted £50,000 now your talking £75,000 basic.
It's gone crazy

Back