Instant Hot Water Tap? Doable?

Pau1GTI

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Guys I've just had a thought. I've got a underslung water tank with an accumulated supply.

When at a site with mains, would one of these on demand hot water taps work if wired in an fed via the with my underslung water supply.

I could sink it into the worktop over the sink.

Or I'm I being daft and just use the kettle. Haha

Screenshot_20190309-161249_Chrome.jpg

Depends on what else is in the build.. must be a tank involved that is preheated??

Or does it pass through a heated element?.

Depends on what else is in the build.. must be a tank involved that is preheated??

Or does it pass through a heated element?.

My understanding is it's just an element fish. Thought if it over and the sink it could help with dishes etc.

Most instant type water heaters are quite juicy, i imagine it would be too much for the lightweight power supplies you generally get on hookup

Would depend on the current draw being within what the hookup supply can give. Plenty of 16A hookups around but I've been to a couple that were 6A and one that said 4A on a big sticker on the socket

Edit @Pauly Snap!

Just use a kettle...

Those taps either have a massive box thing under the sink area.... or they are equivalent power wattage to a kettle if in -line..

But cost 4 times more....

Gas stove kettle if off grid . . . . Or simple kettle in on EHU.. IMHO.

I do have electric hot water heating, even works on 12v, but it's not instant it's in a tank, and it's 'washing hot' not 'hot drink hot'

Thanks guys, I was assuming it wasn't easy or it would of been done before I guess.

I do have electric hot water heating, even works on 12v, but it's not instant it's in a tank, and it's 'washing hot' not 'hot drink hot'

That's something I thought of.....is there any small underslung options? Which one do you have?

Thanks
Paul

Thanks guys, I was assuming it wasn't easy or it would of been done before I guess.

That's something I thought of.....is there any small underslung options? Which one do you have?

Thanks
Paul
Mine is inside one of the units, maybe 10” long and 8” diameter with all it’s insulation, standard on Westfalias and I think Hillside might use the same one? It’s only 300W so you’re not going to be filling your hot tub, but it takes about 15-20 mins to heat up and holds enough for one shower or any amount of washing up. My old T5 had a Truma gas powered water heater and that was awesome, but a bit big, not far off the size of a small Porta Potti, but I had the space cos it was a LWB

Mine is inside one of the units, maybe 10” long and 8” diameter with all it’s insulation, standard on Westfalias and I think Hillside might use the same one? It’s only 300W so you’re not going to be filling your hot tub, but it takes about 15-20 mins to heat up and holds enough for one shower or any amount of washing up. My old T5 had a Truma gas powered water heater and that was awesome, but a bit big, not far off the size of a small Porta Potti, but I had the space cos it was a LWB
Sound like the same or very similar to what Hillside include. 12v set up to only work when engine running - we tend to turn ours on when travellling to site to give us hot water when we arrive and then use EHU. To be honest, it’s a nice to have but if specking a van from scratch it would be towards the bottom of my wish list.

Sound like the same or very similar to what Hillside include. 12v set up to only work when engine running - we tend to turn ours on when travellling to site to give us hot water when we arrive and then use EHU. To be honest, it’s a nice to have but if specking a van from scratch it would be towards the bottom of my wish list.
Shows how different everyone’s needs can be, I wouldn’t be without mine

Thats the great thing about this forum i was thinking of adding hot water to mine, now having read the last two posts i'm more confused than ever.
oh well just another excuse to talk to people about their van and pick their brains

Its a good job we are not all the same or we would all be driving around in the same van

We have a couple of 3kw on-demand taps in the kennel kitchens (we're a boarding kennels) and
whilst they do work , they're not brilliant. The water gets warm if the flow rate is very low, but with a decent
flow you wouldnt notice its any warmer than straight cold water.
Remember on-demand electric showers are around 10kw which is far too much for a campsite hook-up.
As Andy says, I think the real answer is a hot-water tank like Hillside's - with the further advantage that
it heats as you travel.
Cheers
Phil

Thanks everyone. As you all said I think a tank is the only option......problem for me is space. Think even finding space under the van would be a struggle with having tanks and gas there already....hmm

My solution to hot water on the go, not instant as it takes about 15-20 min on the Wallas, possibly less on two gas burners.
It’s stainless steel, 18L capacity, we find approx 14L is enough for 2 good adult showers.
I tried the ebay portable shower units which work but don’t last, now using the smallest capacity Whale pump with a switch unit and shower head.
The pot has multiple functions when travelling.
This one is for sale for 35 quid as I bought more than I needed.

19F4DC3A-A5CC-40DF-8D98-18DFA5A5E6B8.jpeg 945FCFFF-D5E8-4128-9E2C-16C9E2F3F6D9.jpeg 9F0C99B9-7D64-448B-BA8E-B82500A60CE0.jpeg

We use one of those on scout camps. We have a tap added to the side and leave it gently simmering all day for instant hot water for tea and hot water. Works great and we have it straddling two rings on the gas hob to get it up to temperature. Just need to watch the hot water level...

Reactions: DXX

mint on hook up
through invertor and engine running to back her up when off grid...
even useable when driving according to supplier..

thoughts... about to go this route. 6 litre in my pod...and not silly money approx £140 plus vat

Back