Installing Underseat Subwoofer

Marbzy

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum, so apologies in advance if something like this has already been posted, I did attempt to find a similar thread but to no avail!

Anyways, I'm going to be installing an underseat amp/sub in my T6 in the next few weeks and Im looking for help with the quad lock connectors into the main head unit.

I'm fine with removing the trims and getting at the cabling and running my new cables in, but it's the connections to the head unit where I come a bit stuck!

I'll be using high level input for the amp due to the lack of RCAs so from what I understand, I can add in connections to the quad locks for this and they can come from a rear speaker output in the head unit. What I'm looking for is which colour block and which little ports I need to use for this, and also if there is a 12v ignition port for the Remote switch on the amp then that would be very handy!

If anyone has any pictures or diagrams to help with this I'd be eternally grateful :)

I'll also be looking for someone with VCDS to code the stereo to unlock the front/rear fader for some extra sound control when the time comes, so anyone in the South Wales area able to do this please make yourselves known :)

Thank you all in advance!

Mark

Thanks mate. This is a great help, much appreciated!
Although now I have one final question:
As there are outputs for rear left and right sides and I am installing an amp purely to drive the sub, does it matter which side I use? I.e left or right or should I use both? Although I have some knowledge about this wizardry clearly I'm no expert!

Thanks!

Mark

Post up some pics of the install Mark if you like buddy....:thumbsup:....Will be looking to do something similar when my bus finally arrives :rolleyes:

Will do buddy, I'm going for installation under the drivers seat as it is a panel van and the bench seat is currently storing all my essential but non essential items! God forbid you should never need the spare tyre kit or a first aid kit but it's got to go somewhere!

Before my T6 I had an 06 T5 in which I did the same so I'm hoping that the panels and trims will come apart in a similar way, making the installation nice and easy, at least that's the plan!

Thanks mate. This is a great help, much appreciated!
Although now I have one final question:
As there are outputs for rear left and right sides and I am installing an amp purely to drive the sub, does it matter which side I use? I.e left or right or should I use both? Although I have some knowledge about this wizardry clearly I'm no expert!

Thanks!

Mark

- Edit:

My chosen sub came today and after inspection, I now see that it comes with both left and right channel, positive and negative inputs. Which answers my own question as to how to wire it! Now all is left to do is tear my bus up and fit it, uh oh!

Apologise I have t replied, as haven't been on here for a few days, as we are very busy, if you had any further question please pm us

Apologise I have t replied, as haven't been on here for a few days, as we are very busy, if you had any further question please pm us

Thanks @Absolut5 mate, I have managed to run all cables in from the seat to the head unit, so will connect those up Later!

I'd like to also rack your brains as to the best route to get to the battery to get power to the amp?

Currently I have taken the cables to behind the glove box and can access them from the head unit to connect the remote and speaker cables. But I can't see any route through to the engine bay to hook up to the battery? Or do you have any other advice for sourcing power?

Thanks!

Mark

There is a grommet in the bulkhead behind glovebox above wheel that takes you straight through to behind battery

There is a grommet in the bulkhead behind glovebox above wheel that takes you straight through to behind battery
@Pauly awesome, will have a good look for that later then!

Is it visible with just the glove box removed? I did have a quick look but it is awfully crowded behind there with what I assume is the fan for the heaters and various other electrical gubbins!

Thanks!
Mark

Dont need to remove anything, leave the glovebox in
The grommet is on outer edge above wheel arch, you may need to pull top couple inches of flooring behind the dash down out the way to see it and it will bring you out behind battery underneath scuttle tray

Reactions: Jon
@Pauly @RattyMcClelland are you guys talking about the same grommet?

I've pulled the matting back and I can see a plastic grommet on the left outside edge of the van but surely this isn't it?

I can't see any grommets easily accessible on the front edge of the van so maybe I'm just being a bit thick here!

Thanks,

Mark

image.jpg

No. You're actually going out the hard way. It's far easier to go through from the engine bay. I poked it through and grabbed the cable from the passenger pillar them up and over to the amps mounted on the bulkhead.

Okay @RattyMcClelland so if I go from outside to in with the grommet you're suggesting in the above picture, where does that poke me out inside?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Mark

About mid/top of the dashboard. If you pull out the side dash panel where the airbag switch is (but don't remove the plug or you'll get an error code). You can reach in just and pull it through.

I cut a 4awg hole in the grommet and once cable was finally places I use a polyurethane glue to seal it within the grommet. A bit overkill.

Last edited:
Okay then guys,

Everything is nearly wired up and working a treat, so thanks to all who helped out with various bits of info!

One final question for this thread is concerning the remote cable / ignition live for the amp. Obviously I don't want it draining my battery constantly so I've put a cable from 12v of the amp to the remote to check everything works and it does. But where in the van can I wire the remote cable for my switched live? I can't see anything in the head unit to connect onto as the power for that is a permanent live!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Mark!
Did you managed to find the remote cable on the head unit? I am going through the same procedure and I can not figure out which one it is. Cheers.

Back