Installing Underseat Subwoofer

Hi Mark!
Did you managed to find the remote cable on the head unit? I am going through the same procedure and I can not figure out which one it is. Cheers.

Signal sense or separate switch is the only way on the OE headunit, we have tried a number of ways to overcome this but still not 100% happy with results

Hello mate,

Apologies for the late reply!

In the end I bought some 'add a fuse' connectors on eBay and connected the remote cable to one of these.

If you then put this new fuse into the centre part of the fuse box where the mini fuses are located, it will provide a current when the key is turned and thus gives the same effect as a remote wire from the head unit!

If you would like pictures or any further information just let me know and I'll post some up for you!

Mark

Hello mate,

Apologies for the late reply!

In the end I bought some 'add a fuse' connectors on eBay and connected the remote cable to one of these.

If you then put this new fuse into the centre part of the fuse box where the mini fuses are located, it will provide a current when the key is turned and thus gives the same effect as a remote wire from the head unit!

If you would like pictures or any further information just let me know and I'll post some up for you!

Mark

The only issue is that it won't power the amp when you switch the headunit on manually with no keys in when parked up. And also this can introduce a pop on noise with some amps

The only issue is that it won't power the amp when you switch the headunit on manually with no keys in when parked up. And also this can introduce a pop on noise with some amps

Fair point Absolut5,

I've not experienced any popping when powering up with my amp, and since my van is a panel van it's not very often I'll listen to the radio without the van running!

Understandably this method may not be ideal if you have a camper or kombi, but it works just fine for me!

Mark

Can I ask what size AWG cables are being used? I've just received my amp (Hertz Dpower4) to power my 10" sub and now I need to order my amp kit but not sure to go with 8awg or 4awg?

Right ....amp kit has arrived.....the plan is sub under passenger captains seat, amp under drivers. can I run the power, RCAs and the remote lead all down one side of the van (passenger) or do I need to run power one side, RCAs and power on remote wire the other or do I need to run all 3 separate routes?

You can run them all side by side of you ground the amps properly.
However I split mine purely so wires are not bunched together and cause trim panels to not sit flush especially with thicker power and speaker wires.

@RattyMcClelland cheers for that...I've run the RCAs and remote power-on cables down the drivers side and tomorrow I'll run the power cable down the passenger side and under the passenger seat to the drivers seat to connect to the amp.
I will then ground the amp under the drivers seat (i'll clean the paint off the bolt that is already there)
I've already run the subwoofer speakers cables from the passenger to drives seat so this will just need connecting up

When connecting the power cable to the battery do I do this without the fuse in until after I've reconnected the earth to the battery?

@T6180
Ignore if needs be mate!. But don't forget(if you have them) swivel seats and your airbag/heated seat supply.. ensure you have enough OEM cable to allow the to swivel.. as sub takes away central pivot..

This is the problem I had on Saturday when fitting the swivel to my passenger seat. Supplied @Pauly with a part number so am hoping he can get a male and female connector block so that I can extend the cable that is already present. I currently have to disconnect the airbag wire under the seat in order to swivel the chair.

@Fish @DaveyB ...cheers guys but no swivel seats for me to worry about....

I doing the install this weekend as best I can...then in a few weeks stripping the interior out and installing sound proofing and new interior panels. I'll re-route and tidy up the cables properly then

@Fish @DaveyB ...cheers guys but no swivel seats for me to worry about....

I doing the install this weekend as best I can...then in a few weeks stripping the interior out and installing sound proofing and new interior panels. I'll re-route and tidy up the cables properly then

Sounds like its all in hand pal.. results be worth it. Don't forget to post some images to help others out with your gained knowledge. :thumbsup:

Back