Ignition Live Under Passenger Seat - How Its Done -

The red cable is to identify a smart alternator. If you have one (on a T6 you do). Connect it to ignition live. And fuse in the centre row of the fuse box will give you this. The black cable is used to identify the type of leisure battery you have. Leave it disconnected for lead acid or ground it for AGM
Hi thanx for your reply the only reason i ask is I've wired it all up and it works fine without them conected.

Does it make a difference.

Yes, it does make a difference. When the alternator switches off you will no longer have charge to your leisure battery. This is the whole point of the red wire. The black wire being grounded raises the charge voltage to 14.6 from 14.4 to suit AGM battery.

Yes, it does make a difference. When the alternator switches off you will no longer have charge to your leisure battery. This is the whole point of the red wire. The black wire being grounded raises the charge voltage to 14.6 from 14.4 to suit AGM battery.
Thanx again what amp fuse would you suggest in the fuse box ie red wire.

And just confirm that with my leisure battery please see picture i dont need to connect the earth ie black wire.15798662689965514710282343105968.jpg 15798662689965514710282343105968.jpg

Thanks to @Dellmassive for the original write up. I have been doing my research on my first time full DC-DC Camper electrics installation. I found this thread
Fog Light Retrofit
thanks @zebra which is really useful for telling you how to get into the BCM for option 1 in the how to guide. Hope its OK to link the two things together.
I didn't even know where the BCM was! Although now I do I shall probably take @travelvolts advice and go for Option 2 fuse location.

Slight thread hijack - are there any useable feeds under the drivers seat? I seem to recall bunches of wires under there too.

looking to add a 12v socket each for the kids (x2) to avoid power sharing conflicts!

Plan is to fit a Sutars socket (marine grade components) in each of the plastic lower trim on the front seats. Middle fuse board isnt far away so no hassle really if nothing under the drivers seat.

Cheers
Ian

I swapped the double passenger seat out for a single and only wires / connector blocks for stuff at the rear. No fuse boxes or big thick power cables!

Out of interest, what cables are under the drivers seat?

If ordering a new van, you can add the interface block for not much money (it was £90 in 2017) this gives you access to many of the van systems including D+ & ign+

I swapped the double passenger seat out for a single and only wires / connector blocks for stuff at the rear. No fuse boxes or big thick power cables!

Out of interest, what cables are under the drivers seat?
Usually just seat air bag if fitted and occupancy sensor, sometimes heated seat wiring.

If ordering a new van, you can add the interface block for not much money (it was £90 in 2017) this gives you access to many of the van systems including D+ & ign+
There is no D+ on an intelligent alternator. This must be some form of modified X relief.

There is no D+ on an intelligent alternator. This must be some form of modified X relief.
The “X” rings a bell, I’ll have to have a look in the builders handbook, it gives all the pinouts for the interface. I used a “D+” equivalent for the Sterling B2B that I picked up from the interface.

Could any of you guys tell me (or have a wiring diagram to show) which of the wires under the passenger seat is battery+ to the webasto underneath?

Could any of you guys tell me (or have a wiring diagram to show) which of the wires under the passenger seat is battery+ to the webasto underneath?
See picture at ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
For aux.coolant heater: Red plug, pin 17, thick (2.5mm²) red/yellow, fused by SC46 under center dash (or SH11 under right seat if early T6 equipped with aux.battery).
EDIT:typo

Last edited:
Hi All,
This is very helpful post regards the ignition live, thank you. I had read a few posts before and previously fitted the a CTEK 250 and run all the cables but not got around to final connections.

BUT after connecting today The centre lower fuse box in my T6 Bluemotion is giving permanent volts there, has anyone else found this?
I piggybacked into there and tested with a multimeter and it is showing 12v with ignition on, and off with keys out.
just to try it I connected my CTEK 250 and with ignition off it is lighting up (flashing alternator light which goes solid when I start the engine) I tried a few of the fuses and all show 12v with keys out... Can anyone suggest anything different to try?

thanks.

I very recently hardwired a dashcam that required both a permanent and an ign switched 12 v supply. I found that the IGN Switched supply is on the centre TOP section of the fuse panel, with the mini fuses. I used a piggy back connector and put it into one of the spare slots and all is working as it should. Sounds like you’re connecting to the wrong part of the fuse panel.

Hope this helps

Thanks Big.mac I’ll check those out and get a smaller piggy back. From the posts I had read I hadn’t realised not all of that panel was ignition live, as I only had standard piggy backs I didn’t think to check the others... doh!

much appreciated

See picture at ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
For aux.coolant heater: Red plug, pin 17, thick (2.5mm²) red/yellow, fused by SC46 under center dash (or SH11 under right seat if early T6 equipped with aux.battery).
EDIT:typo
Just to clarify, that 2.5mm red/yellow wire is switched ignition? I only ask because the webasto wiring diagram shows an ignition live 2.5mm, permanent live 6mm and a brown 4mm back to battery / ground. I'm trying to swap the power supply to the webasto from the van battery to the leisure battery that I installed and it's all giving me a headache. Apologies for the late response, I've been busy at work.

Back