I know we don't talk about sport that much on here but...

Biggest problem with rugby at kids (well up to U18 level) is injuries. Even the mini's have started to wear shoulder pads and head guards, but I think that makes the problem worse as they dive into tackles without thinking about self preservation.

My lad played for 9 years, but has just dropped out as the injury risk is so high, and he doesn't want to get messed up for rowing.

Biggest problem with rugby at kids (well up to U18 level) is injuries. Even the mini's have started to wear shoulder pads and head guards, but I think that makes the problem worse as they dive into tackles without thinking about self preservation.

My lad played for 9 years, but has just dropped out as the injury risk is so high, and he doesn't want to get messed up for rowing.
A friend of ours is a well known GP (doctor to David Attenborough) and stopped her husband playing as the risks were so high - he was a potential England player.
Will probably stick to touch rugby with our boy - she said the risks to kids are massive.

Beach / Touch Rugby is a fantastic sport! Certainly keeps you fit.

They do need to look carefully at the Junior game, as you see lads trying to emulate the Pro's and end up getting badly hurt. I'm not advocating a 'cotton wool' based game, but the amount of concussions and long term injuries that I witnessed this season was a real worry.

Never been very good with hand to eye coordination, been into bikes (motored and pedal) all my life. Love the extreme stuff, Red Bull TV is a good place for me.

Im lucky with my lad as he swims so minimal risk of injury and he is as fit as a fiddle. Only 8 year old I know with a 6 pack lol

Proud dad moment is that he is currently ranked 1 in GB for his age and he is a good 6 sec's faster than 2nd.

IMG_7820.PNG

IMG_7819.PNG

Blimey; that's amazing!
Mine (also 8) is doing well at archery (broke an under 12s club record on his third go) has a few karate trophies, is doing very well at surfing and just got 50/50 in his SPAG SATs test; the only one in the entire education trust.

Oh my, I'm turning into a bloody competitive parent...

Re-lived my rugby days through my middle son, who took to it late (14) but learned quick to be first choice second row, now at uni straight into firsts. He was part of the first comprehensive school team to make the Daily Mail Challenge plate semifinal a few years back...I was literally shaking with excitement....and it wasn't the cold from the bike ride up to near Coventry. Love rugby.

Back