How To: Using Discover Media Navigation System In Non-EU Countries; E.g. Morocco, UK

Dilbert

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Background

I was looking at how I could use the Discover Media navigation system as backup for my preferred Google maps navigation (via App Connect) for an upcoming trip to Morocco later in the year. Morocco is included in the 'Non-European Countries – Bundle 3' available from the VW maps update website. However, when this is added to a genuine VW maps SD card it shows as invalid data. Further investigation was required! o_O

It appears the European version of the Discover Media navigation system only works with EU maps. After much experimenting with various file edits, I found a simple solution which is documented below for the benefit of others taking their T6 out of the European region! :cool:

The key is that all European maps are in the maps folder named '00' on the SD Card. By renaming the maps folder for other regions to '00', you can trick the headunit into displaying the maps for other non-European regions. You will need a second VW Navigation SD card and swap it over when you leave Europe. :thumbsup:

How to do it

1. Download the maps update to include the Region required. (E.G. "Non-European Countries – Bundle 3" is currently file version 'DiscoverMedia2_MRM3_1115_V10') from the VW website: Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates

2. Update a spare VW SD card with the new data. You can use the guide from this forum here: Map Software Update - How We Did It -

Note: VW SD Cards have a special Card ID code [CID] and normal SD cards can not be used for navigation data. You can obtain a second VW SD card from eBay cheaply. Does not matter which update version it is as you will be updating it anyway. Just make sure it is correct for your head unit.

3. After updating the SD card, use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on which maps bundle you have, you will see several numbered folders.

sd folders.png

4. Rename the relevant Region number folder found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; to use the Region MRM3 SD Card for navigating in Morocco, etc., rename folder '27' to '00'.

sd folders.png

5. To test, insert the updated SD card into your head unit, then check roads and place names are visible by zooming out and navigating displayed map to chosen Country. Zoom in to check detail.

Please note this SD card will only work in the Region you have chosen. Use your normal SD card in Europe and swap it over when you enter the new territory.

Hope this helps some others.

D.

Awsome, ill add this to the how too guide.

Hello Dilbert, I have followed the steps to install the maps of Morocco, but it says that the data is not valid, although the version shows me, do I have to be in Morocco for it to work? Thank you very much for the help

C67E41F2-1EE7-4832-8D4F-2DC200D7AEC4.jpeg

Last edited:
do I have to be in Morocco for it to work?

Not sure what the error message is exactly saying! I am assuming you are using a VW navigation SD Card?

Once you do the update and insert your new sd card, your local maps will be lost because you are now setup for another region. If you manually move the map on your touch screen so that it shows Morocco, zoom in, you should see the roads appear again.

Ours worked fine in Morocco but you need to make sure you can see the road maps manually as above to ensure its working.

Reactions: mmi
Hello, first thank you very much for answering so quickly. Yes, I use a separately purchased vw SD card, which worked well with the European map, when this message "Invalid navigation data in infotainment system, check them" appears, it does not allow zooming, the navigator is blocked ... I've tried everything before ... change the "EEC folder of the europero file, put only folder 27, try putting" 00 "to other folders, and they don't work either, until I've seen your solution, but it didn't work either. maybe it doesn't work in the latest versions? I have the car just bought. Thanks again.

change the "EEC folder of the europero file, put only folder 27, try putting" 00 "to other folders

I would rewrite the SD Card back to the Europe region, check all works OK again, then start again. Make sure your working card has a region 00. That is the normal default region for Europe.

If you require Morocco maps, then after updating the card to the Region MRM3 (for Morocco maps) you should just rename folder '27' to '00'.

This all assumes your headunit uses 00 as default.

I would rewrite the SD Card back to the Europe region, check all works OK again, then start again. Make sure your working card has a region 00. That is the normal default region for Europe.

If you require Morocco maps, then after updating the card to the Region MRM3 (for Morocco maps) you should just rename folder '27' to '00'.

This all assumes your headunit uses 00 as default.

Just what I have done, I first checked the card with European maps and it works fine, when installing the Morocco file (following exactly your steps), it doesn't work for me.
I will try again...
Thank you very much and sorry for the inconvenience.

I have just started the download and will see how i get on (but mines a 2015 so its the older version discover nav unit)

I have been advising Med on the Seatcupra board as well.

Navigation System Updates

It works on a Seat Arona 2019 Infortainment with the 1030 card, 1420 maps :).

Also a person who brought their US Golf back to France was looking for a solution. I advised them but the same as Max didn't work.

I told both Max and that guy about the CID country code lock which was said elsewhere. I linked to that. Now I don't know whether that's the case or not but the guy that said that was using a "Gold card". It could be that the firmware in some VW units is more stringent and reads the end characters of the CID string and hence why it doesnt work. On that basis it's a Gold card, Ubunto solution. You just zero out the string after the Vag run in code which is common across the VAG group. I covered that in the thread. Just need someone to test it who has these issues. Gold card / Ubunto I covered this year on there :).

The non European maps region 1 which includes Israel works fine on the Kodiaq 2020 32gb card. Seat don't sell and for that matter VW don't sell the navigation card for Israel - apparently you could end up somewhere where you shouldn't. The Seat car in question I was being asked about appears to have the European mib2 head with firmware found here, it's the WiFi unit finishing in 877, 877A - latest Seat high spec standard unit. So advised get a European card, put it in and then do the work around as per this thread. The overall.nds trick will be required where Mapcare isn't supported. Await to hear the results but like the Morroco map, Israel works fine in an Arona head in the UK atleast :). The Isreal map looks pretty complete. So another use of the thread.

Essentially Non Europe bundle 1 contains, 21, 24 and 25. 21 is Israel. Copy over the contents as per normal obeying all the VAG stuff on 7 Zip, Mac's etc, delete 24 and 25 off the SD card. Rename 21 to 00. Before you do all of this take a copy of your working SD card. If you you dont have Mapcare, the overall.nds file in the EEC directory of the original card is the one to replace on the Non Europe bundle map (So called Mapcare workaround that we have to do where Mapcare is still used, basically Seat these days). Do a long press on the units left hand button till it reboots which causes the unit to re-read the replaced map SD card.

Pictures of the map on a UK Seat Arona, non WiFi standard one. Only question I guess is whether the firmware is more fussy than the bog standard one in defaulting to read the SD card as Europe. Looks a lot like the one below but has nothing in against navigation, but says navigation as a header, I did say check that all FECs are installed from listed. I've assumed the Seat Israel car has the FEC license for navigation, suspect so and just needs the card... least we know you can take your run around Arona to Israel :). Pictures below.

Screenshot_20200517-184716.png

Screenshot_20200517-184643.png

Screenshot_20200517-184650.png

Screenshot_20200517-184658.png

Last edited:
Also the VW Navigation site as of May 2020 is currently hiding / showing old maps for some of the non European bundles

The Non-European Countries – Bundle 3 is up-to-date covering (1420, V12)
  • Updated: : 11/7/19
  • File format: : 7-zip
  • Coverage: :
    Australia, New Zealand, Botswana*, Lesotho*, Mozambique*, Namibia*, South Africa, Swaziland*; Reunion*, Brunei, Indonesia*, Malaysia*, Philippines*, Singapore, Thailand, Egypt*, Algeria*, Bahrain*, Jordan*, Qatar*, Kuwait, Morocco, Oman*, Saudi Arbien*, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates*
    *in parts
The Non-European Countries – Bundle 1 is not up-to-date (1115, V10)
  • Updated: : 6/7/18
  • File format: : 7-zip
  • Coverage: :
    Israel*, Argentinia, Brasil, French Guiana*, Guadeloupe*, Martinique*, Mexico, Turkey*
    *in parts
Whilst Multi Region Countries - Bundle 2 is missing completely

covers

India *, Chile *

---

Fear not the Seat Map distribution map site covers these and the ones not up-to-date. Normally the Seat site lags uploading the maps but no they have the 1420 maps V12 - November 2019 release - sufficient time has passed.

The Non-European Countries – Bundle 1 (1420, V12)

direct link:

The Multi Region Countries - Bundle 2 (1420, V12)

direct link:

Covid-19 allowing VAG will update these shortly (June 2020) but suspect the Seat site won't get these updated till much later. So probably as good as you get at this time if VAG has decided not to table these on their VW website.

----

the version 11 ones for MRM1 and MRM2 (June 2019 release) are these respectively for the missing June 2019 release:

direct link:

&
direct link:

----

I know that some people in Latin American countries were unaware of the most recent release V12. :)

----

That brings us onto to how do you know which bundle to pick for doing the renaming to 00 frig it working on a European car with the maps already installed.

That's fairly easy you look in the folder in this example:

Maps\DiscoverMedia2_MRM3_1420_V12\maps\xx\sds

where xx is the country code you are checking, this one 22 has Australia and New Zealand in it show by directories AU and NZ.

In this example

Maps\Seat_MRM1_STD_1420_V12\maps\21\nds\PRODUCT

Nothing is shown under the SDS directory but says ISR directory under PRODUCT - that's Israel.

Just poke about in these two areas.

As noted the Seat standard unit I was using didn't like the other directories to be shown as per post #1. Just required 00 and EEC, would blow a trumpet if you presented other country groups. A reset is required after taking out the map card and putting in the reconfigured one. A long hold on the on / off button till the unit reboots when the unit has no map card in it. Put the reconfigured card in it then else if you don't it will indicate the their is a navigation map file issue.

Lastly if it's a unit that still supports "Mapcare" which is basically Seat and you don't have Mapcare or even if you do, take a copy of your working overall.nds file from here

MAPS\EEC\EEC_WLD

& overwrite this into the desired non European map group. The unit still thinks it has the original maps loaded if you do this so works around Mapcare. If you get a spare VAG map card you can keep your original card in tack and experiment on the other. Bought the latest Skoda one with 32 GB for the day when the all European map won't fit on the card whenever that might be but is of use to test things out.

I await to hear whether the person with the Seat in Israel manages to get the maps installed.

Last edited:
As an addendum I have just heard from the guy in Israel who was after the solution to getting a navigation card for their region where they aren't sold with VAG cars but otherwise have the infotainment standard firmware on. The unit rejected the Skoda European card so they then copied across the image above onto the card. Took it first time, so the unit was sitting and waiting for the correct map image for the region it was sold against on a Vag card (did think it was just the European model, but otherwise deploy the second method). The CID on the VAG card passed the test and off it went.... still if they needed to ship the car to Europe probably do a variation of the workaround on the thread. All good stuff.

Just what I have done, I first checked the card with European maps and it works fine, when installing the Morocco file (following exactly your steps), it doesn't work for me.
I will try again...
Thank you very much and sorry for the inconvenience.
Hi Med,

I'm facing the exact issue you are facing, have you managed to solve it? if yes can you help me please?
My current status is that I'm getting this error message: "Navigation data in infotainment system not valid. Check data"
After i have installed a non EU maps and renamed the folder to 00.

Thanks

Hi I have a VW SD Card with EU1&2 maps
I'm located in Israel, I have downloaded the MRM1 Maps
I have tried to manually copy them or using the VW software, but both ways not working , i was getting "Navigation database not available"
then i saw this thread and i have renamed the folder to 00 and now I'm getting a different error message, which is "Navigation data in infotainment system not valid. Check data"

I have also tried to copy the "overall.nds" file from the working EU bundle to the MRM1 bundle , but still I'm seeing same error message!
Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Hi I have a VW SD Card with EU1&2 maps
I'm located in Israel, I have downloaded the MRM1 Maps
I have tried to manually copy them or using the VW software, but both ways not working , i was getting "Navigation database not available"
then i saw this thread and i have renamed the folder to 00 and now I'm getting a different error message, which is "Navigation data in infotainment system not valid. Check data"

I have also tried to copy the "overall.nds" file from the working EU bundle to the MRM1 bundle , but still I'm seeing same error message!
Can anyone help please?

Thanks

If it's like the Seat the person had in Israel it was just all prepped up for the correct zone map to be put in on a VAG mib2 card as post 12 - it had never been presented with map card so was waiting for first installation. Nothing clever required except a VAG card which had the VAG CID it recognised. Skoda European card was used, mib2 2020, 32 GB. Contents were deleted and the Seat down load in post 12 used.

Needed
Multi Region Map 1:
Israel *, Argentina, Brazil, Frz. Guyana *, Guadeloupe *, Martinique *, Mexico, Turkey *

Which is the latest (November 2019 release) not available elsewhere so it seems

direct link:

https://seatmapdownloads.akamaized.net/MRM1/MRM1_STD_1420.zip

That on the card put in the unit presents itself as a first time installation card for the unit. It all worked, that bypassed dealers not supplying navi cards in that location due to security aspects I guess. I wonder whether Here Maps is the author of that rather than TomTom. You would have to examine the map and sources as the standard map contract at least for Europe swapped to TomTom.

How the mib2 standard units work at first time installation of the card the unit locks itself to the overall.nds file on the release of the card put in if Mapcare is used. It's the same release on the specific release for everybody with that release. You can always go back to that release or any before if you loose the card that the unit is configured around and do the copy and replace. Only really Seat cars have Mapcare deployed these days, older VAG cars you would find this issue on so you can do the overall.nds workaround. For Seat I found the V1 release so anybody loosing a card or buying a car with the card can get things going. Off topic but I mention it here.

So yes, brand new spanking VAG cars sold in Israel just appear to need the process covered in post 12, no country code edits, least for Seats. Always do a reboot BTW when changing data on map cards. If the unit has been previously registered with a card or is an import you have to identify what zone it was registered against, if Europe then it's the subject of the main thread. I'm not holding much hope out for US VAG cars imported thou into other regions, think their map software may be a "fork" from the mib2 standard so these tricks may not apply. I haven't been able to get my hands on a North American map download.

Post 2075 in missing cards and the overall.nds file

Basically all Seat / VW / Skoda map releases are the same but if you have a working system but have lost your card or files on it and don't know what releases it was least in Europe you can go back to day 1 of MIB2 on the workaround. So if your system is basically an imported European unit but has been used then you can download an old map to pick up the overall.nds file which then works with all subsequent releases. If that's the case then you then deploy the threads 00 country code method but if it's a brand new car made for Israel then the approach above will do. Original poster had an Ateca Cupra they were asking me about.

There may be some VW cars that are less forgiving on the threads method.

i did some try and error methodology and now its working

its a european car imported to israel with europ1 sd card

it turns out that the overall.nds file i was replacing was the one in ECE folder, but when i replaced the one inside Product/ISR folder in addition to PRODUCT.nds file then it worked

Thanks everyone

Glad it's working. Wonder if this is what the person with their North American car in France should be doing. I'll pass on. I had noticed there was more than one NDS file. May be some of these units are less forgiving than others.

Thanks.

The Seat Arona is less fussy :). It's going to be how the firmware in each of these units reads the files. Whilst they are the same map files used against VAG cars for the standard navigation, variations in the firmware between the brand implementation may be why some people have success and others don't. Yours it was reading the overall.nds file with the Product / ISR folder as well as the ECE folder. The Arona firmware was just sensitive to the ECE folder, the so called "Mapcare workaround" method.

I'm wondering whether peoples SVM OBD errors that get logged by the work around method might be due to half a work around than the whole :), something for another day. The units work fine with the SVM error its just they cant get rid of them :). Suspect you will find a logged error, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Back